Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing two distributions

  • Rooster
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17 6:51 PM
      Hi Bill,

      There was actually no reason to change the drives around for the install
      of RedHat. During the install you could have specified to install it to
      the second drive with no problems & installed it's lilo on /dev/hdb1 or
      whichever partition was it's " / " partition.

      You will have to make a couple of changes to RedHat, but you will need
      to do it from within Turbolinux or from a rescue floppy. Any changes you
      make will only be to files on the RedHat drive. Be sure you aren't
      editing your Turbolinux files by mistake!!!!

      What you need to do is mount the partition that contains the redhat /etc
      directory. This is usually the " / " directory.

      You then need to edit the /etc/fstab file of this partition & change any
      reference to /dev/hda to /dev/hdb (and /dev/hdb to /dev/hda of course).

      Next, edit the /etc/lilo.conf on the Redhat partition and also change
      references to /dev/hda to read /dev/hdb. MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE ALL
      REFERENCES IN BOTH FILES. If either file already contains references to
      /dev/hdb, be sure to change them to /dev/hda as well.

      Now, before the next step, make sure you have edited the right files on
      the right partition! You must have edited the /etc/fstab &
      /etc/lilo.conf from your RedHat drive. If you are sure you have done the
      right things, proceed to the next step.

      Make sure your RedHats " / " partition is mounted (should be) then run:

      chroot /dev/hdbx /sbin/lilo

      substituting the correct partition number (RedHat's " / ") for the x.
      This command makes the redhat partition the new root partition & runs
      redhat's lilo. Everything being equal & done correctly, if you reboot
      you should be able to get into redhat.

      If you don't feel like doing all that, you could always re-install
      redhat with the drive in place & specify /dev/hdb for the install drive
      & making sure you install it's lilo on it's " / " not /dev/hda.

      Rooster

      william owens wrote:

      > As a follow-on to this thread, I am running a system with two hard drives
      > the first drive has Turbolinux (hda1) and DOS (hda3) and the second drive
      > has RedHat (hdb1). The only way I could figure out how to install RedHat
      > was to take the harddisk on which it resides and make it the primary disk
      > (hda). Once RedHat was installed I turned its disk into the slave then
      > installed Turbolinux. I was able to get everything configured and running
      > using Lilo. I can boot to any of the three OSs on my system. My question
      > is, do I need to do anything else to RedHat after having moved it over to
      > hdb? When I boot to RedHat it still appears as though it thinks it's on
      > hda. I fried one hard disk with this configuration, not sure if the disk
      > went bad or I have a potential time bomb here.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Bill
    • william owens
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18 1:19 PM
        Thanks again for the advice. I made the changes to the /etc/fstab and
        everything seemed to go well. (Did I mention that I was able to boot into
        RedHat before making these changes?) When I booted into RedHat it looks
        like it is looking at hdb now.

        When I tried to update Lilo on hdb I received the following error message:
        "chroot: cannot change root directory to /dev/hdb1 /sbin/lilo"
        I ran this from within Turbo by mounting hdb at /mnt/redhat. So I rebooted
        into RedHat and ran the command again from /etc and received the same error
        message. I made a change to the command line to: chroot dev/hdb1/sbin/lilo
        and it said No such file or directory. (I am running these as user ROOT.)
        What do you suggest? If I don't have Lilo or etc/fstab set-up correctly but
        the system still runs, can I physically trash my harddrive?