Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Network places in xubuntu 9.04

  • Bruce Kemp
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
      Paul Wachira Kiranga wrote:

      > Ubuntu 9.04 is OK but my machines compaqs 866 mhz 256 mb Ram will not run well on it.

      Just to experiment, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an older computer that I
      have. It has dual Pentium Pro 200 processors, 256MB ram and all drives
      are SCSI. As expected, it is slower than you would like, but does run.
      Bruce

      --
      Registered Linux user number 482434.

      Nudists are people who wear one-button suits.
    • David Neeley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
        There are other distributions that would be faster...such as Puppy Linux, for example, that is made to run on minimal equipment.

        David

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
          David Neeley wrote:
          > There are other distributions that would be faster...such as Puppy Linux, for example, that is made to run on minimal equipment.

          Like I said, this was an experiment, I have 2 other computers running
          Ubuntu 9.04 with a lot more memory and speed.
          Bruce

          --
          Registered Linux user number 482434.

          Nudists are people who wear one-button suits.
        • paul wachira kiranga
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
            I will give this puppy a try. How does is deal with LAN? cos that's
            where problem lies. Everything else is OK with Xubuntu but file
            sharing. I ran a cybercafe that has a timer. The timer software is to
            communicate with the server. (Cybercafe pro 3.7)