Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading and installing apps with Ubuntu/Mint

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2009
      There are good reasons to use apt-get. It places the files in the right
      place, tracks them and prevents dependency errors. If you work at a lower
      level you risk destabilizing your system. Apt is widely respected for its
      functionality. If you do not believe me, try using RPMs in the same way you
      use Debs.

      If you want to use than manual route, then I suggest that you use apt-get.
      You can colour outside the lines if you want, but do not do it on your main
      system. I would play around in a VM just in case.

      Roy
      Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and ... free!
      Support open Source
      <,*)}}+<
      Only dead fish go with the flow.
      Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for the latest news.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2009
        On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:39:42PM -0000, m_alexander61 wrote:
        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > some directory in your home directory, $HOME/src or something like that,
        > > and extract and build there.
        > >
        > > However, it's a matter of preference too.
        > >

        > > --
        > > Scott Robbins
        >
        > Thanks, Scott, you pretty-well covered it. I guess the main part of my question, the part that I totally forgot to include, was if it mattered where the app was extracted in order to have it show under "Applications". Not that this is important, but I sometimes forget that I installed a cool utility until I happen upon it somewhere.
        > Mark

        Hrrm, now THAT'S a good question, and to be honest, I don't know the
        answer. The reason is that I tend to use fluxbox or openbox, both of
        which have you customize your menu by hand. Ok, that's kind of a Gnome
        question I guess. :)

        Doesn't the Gnome menu though, allow you to add an application to it?

        Buffy: Looks like a job for wiccan-girl. What do you say,
        Will? Big time danger.
        Willow: Hey, I eat danger for breakfast.
        Xander: But, oddly enough, she panics in the face of breakfast
        foods.
      • Loyal Barber
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2009
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:39:42PM -0000, m_alexander61 wrote:
          > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > some directory in your home directory, $HOME/src or something like that,
          > > > and extract and build there.
          > > >
          > > > However, it's a matter of preference too.
          > > >

          > > > --
          > > > Scott Robbins
          > >
          > > Thanks, Scott, you pretty-well covered it. I guess the main part of my question, the part that I totally forgot to include, was if it mattered where the app was extracted in order to have it show under "Applications". Not that this is important, but I sometimes forget that I installed a cool utility until I happen upon it somewhere.
          > > Mark
          > >
          > Hrrm, now THAT'S a good question, and to be honest, I don't know the
          > answer. The reason is that I tend to use fluxbox or openbox, both of
          > which have you customize your menu by hand. Ok, that's kind of a Gnome
          > question I guess. :)
          >
          > Doesn't the Gnome menu though, allow you to add an application to it?
          >

          > --
          > Scott Robbins
          > <snip>

          Debian packages tend to set up the menu automagically when you
          install them. It does not matter where you are when you do apt-get.
          Once installed, you honestly have to do a binary search. If you
          don't like where the installer put it, you then go to System->
          Preferences->Main Menu where you can move things around.

          Loyal
        • m_alexander61
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2009
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:39:42PM -0000, m_alexander61 wrote:
            > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > some directory in your home directory, $HOME/src or something like that,
            > > > and extract and build there.
            > > >
            > > > However, it's a matter of preference too.
            > > >

            > > > --
            > > > Scott Robbins
            > >
            > > Thanks, Scott, you pretty-well covered it. I guess the main part of my question, the part that I totally forgot to include, was if it mattered where the app was extracted in order to have it show under "Applications". Not that this is important, but I sometimes forget that I installed a cool utility until I happen upon it somewhere.
            > > Mark
            > >
            > Hrrm, now THAT'S a good question, and to be honest, I don't know the
            > answer. The reason is that I tend to use fluxbox or openbox, both of
            > which have you customize your menu by hand. Ok, that's kind of a Gnome
            > question I guess. :)
            >
            > Doesn't the Gnome menu though, allow you to add an application to it?
            >

            > --
            > Scott Robbins

            It seems that it finds it automatically, as long as there's a category for it. Thanks for your help!
            Mark
          • m_alexander61
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2009
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Loyal Barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:

              > -->
              > Debian packages tend to set up the menu automagically when you
              > install them. It does not matter where you are when you do apt-get.
              > Once installed, you honestly have to do a binary search. If you
              > don't like where the installer put it, you then go to System->
              > Preferences->Main Menu where you can move things around.
              >
              > Loyal

              Ah, yeah, I played with that some yesterday. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the category "Games" to show up after checking the box, the I actually downloaded some games and guess what? lol
              Mark