Re: Is anyone having issue viewing avi's/mpg's with Kubuntu Jaunty?

  • dr_ovalle
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
      Try to install this in a terminal:

      # ibdvdread
      # libdvdcss
      # libdvdnav
      # xine-lib-extras-nonfree
      # xine-lib
      # install gstreamer-plugins-bad
      # gstreamer-plugins-ugly
      # xine-lib-extras-nonfree

      I hope this help

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Orthaide <Orthaide@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I recently did a full iso-disk install to Kubuntu Jaunty and I'm happy
      > overall with the OS. The only issue I'm having is that whatever video
      > program I use (Dragonplayer, Kaffeine, Kmplayer, etc)... I get audio but
      > no video. Just a blue screen. I believe all my codecs are installed, and
      > tried running kaffeine with both xine and gstreamer. The only driver
      > that seems to work is the xshm, but the video is jumpy and crashes the
      > program.
      >
      > After doing several google searches, I see this has happened in the past
      > with other versions of Linux, but couldn't find a solution.
      >
      > I figured that even if someone here can point me in the right direction,
      > I'd be much obliged :-)
      >
      > Also, as a note.... just prior to this (last week) I was running Kubuntu
      > Intrepid for several months, and never had the problem.
      >
      > Thanks...
      >
      > Darryl

    • David Neeley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2009
        Did you put the Medibuntu repository in your sources.list file? (You can do it simply enough from the package manager--although I gave up on the new one in Kubuntu Jaunty and installed Synaptic instead.

        Once you do that, install the VLC media player. Its dependencies are installed along with it, including support for nearly all the video you are likely to run into.

        Once I did that, I had no problems with video of any kind I've run into--and I have the choice of using Dragonplayer, VLC, or Miro (which I use for downloading and watching many podcasts as well as the news from the major networks).

        The only real problem I had was getting my wireless home router recognized with the somewhat brain-dead wireless setup in Kubuntu. No matter what I tried, it simply would not recognize my WEP passphrase. I plugged into my router directly and downloaded wicd and it worked like a champion.

        I live in Ukraine, so I use ktorrent to download many of the current-season TV shows to watch here because I can't get them any other way I have found. I have had problems with none of these.

        David

      • mars_rover@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2009
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Orthaide <Orthaide@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I recently did a full iso-disk install to Kubuntu Jaunty and I'm happy
          > overall with the OS. The only issue I'm having is that whatever video
          > program I use (Dragonplayer, Kaffeine, Kmplayer, etc)... I get audio but
          > no video. Just a blue screen. I believe all my codecs are installed, and
          > tried running kaffeine with both xine and gstreamer. The only driver
          > that seems to work is the xshm, but the video is jumpy and crashes the
          > program.
          >
          > After doing several google searches, I see this has happened in the past
          > with other versions of Linux, but couldn't find a solution.
          >
          > I figured that even if someone here can point me in the right direction,
          > I'd be much obliged :-)
          >
          > Also, as a note.... just prior to this (last week) I was running Kubuntu
          > Intrepid for several months, and never had the problem.
          >
          > Thanks...
          >
          > Darryl

          Ok i also switched to ubuntu (the new version) and i fixed ALL the codex problems with one line of terminal!!!!!!
          ok type this in

          sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

          oh and make sure you are connected to the internet
          after about 30 min (dial up like speed)
          you can do hulu mp3 wma bla bla bla
          all problems solved
          oh and i am a new linux user and i love it