Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Accessing my Linux laptop on a wireless network

  • Jeff Lane
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
      On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 21:24, MuskokaCowboy
      <muskokacowboy@...> wrote:

      > Still a relative Linux newbie. I have been running Linux Mint 6 on my Dell Inspiron laptop in a dual boot setup with Windows XP for about 3 months now and liking it very much.
      >
      > I have a wireless network at home and while I can access my Windows machines drives from Nautilus on my Linux laptop I cannot see my Linux drives from my Windows machines. What do I need to do to make my Linux machine (at least the ntfs partition) available to some of the other computers on my network?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Dave

      You need to look at Samba. The config file (/etc/smb.conf or maybe
      /etc/samba/smb.conf) is fairly well documented. Also, there are
      usually some GUI tools for configuring Samba as well if you are more
      comfortable with that... though I recommend everyone do it via text
      editor and command line... but I'm just old school like that.

      Samba will export the directories and such that you want to share
      across the network with windows machines. It's the linux equivalent
      of Windows File/Printer sharing. Samba can do a lot more than that,
      but for what you're asking, it's fairly trivial to set up, and should
      be a good learning experience for you.

      Do some google for Samba and smb and you'll find more than you ever
      wanted to know about file sharing between linux and windows systems.

      Cheers
      Jeff

      --

      Vince Lombardi  - "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."
    • Linux Canuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
        I have a wireless network at home and while I can access my Windows
        machines drives from Nautilus on my Linux laptop I cannot see my Linux
        drives from my Windows machines. What do I need to do to make my Linux
        machine (at least the ntfs partition) available to some of the other
        computers on my network?

        Thanks in advance,
        Dave

        You need to install an open source utility such as ext2fs in Windows in order to read or write to ext2/3 file systems. This only goes to show what the smarter OS is. ;)

        Roy

        Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
        Support Open source.
        <*,)}}+<
        Only dead fish go with the flow!

      • Rich
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
          Ita erat quando hic adveni.-----
          "It was that way when I got here."

          ________________________________
          I have a wireless network at home and while I can access my Windows
          machines drives from Nautilus on my Linux laptop I cannot see my Linux
          drives from my Windows machines. What do I need to do to make my Linux
          machine (at least the ntfs partition) available to some of the other
          computers on my network?

          Thanks in advance,
          Dave

          You need to install an open source utility such as ext2fs in Windows in order to read or write to ext2/3 file systems. This only goes to show what the smarter OS is. ;)

          Roy

          Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
          Support Open source.
          <*,)}}+<
          Only dead fish go with the flow!

          If he's accesing the drives on a network, he doesn't need ext2fs in the

          windows machine. He needs to work with the filesharing on the linux machine.

        • Jeff Lane
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
            On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 09:54, Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
            > You need to install an open source utility such as ext2fs in Windows in
            > order to read or write to ext2/3 file systems. This only goes to show what
            > the smarter OS is. ;)

            That doesn't answer his question about exporting filesystems over the network.

            Also, don't be so smug. It wasn't all that long ago that Linux had no
            NTFS support either... AND the current state of Linux NTFS write
            support is still questionable, though it is far better

            --

            George Carlin - Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
            your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

              > I have a wireless network at home and while I can access my Windows
              > machines drives from Nautilus on my Linux laptop I cannot see my Linux
              > drives from my Windows machines. What do I need to do to make my Linux
              > machine (at least the ntfs partition) available to some of the other
              > computers on my network?
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              > Dave
              >
              > You need to install an open source utility such as ext2fs in Windows in order to read or write to ext2/3 file systems. This only goes to show what the smarter OS is. ;)
              >
              > Roy
              >
              > <snip>

              Here is another thought: Install Samba server and set that up. Once
              you create your share on Linux, the Windoze machines will work with
              it just fine.

              Loyal
            • MuskokaCowboy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2009
                Thanks for the replies. It seems that the issue was with my windows machine not with my linux laptop. After rebooting my windows machine the shared folders on my laptop showed up. In Mint all I had to do was right-clink on the folder I wanted to share, go down and select "sharing options", put a check in the "share this folder" box, enter a share name and finally click on "create share".

                Dave