which linux to choose

  • andrevdm
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
      i am old so i come from commondore 64, through dos, windows, now finally make the jump to Linux.
      My application is web browsing on an intranet using old slow laptops on ethernet. So i don't need virus/firewall or other security. but i do need a light fast browser interface which can handle Java and ASP.
      Is this possible ? my gratitude to your advice...
    • Gulzaman Sharaf
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        Dear Friend,

        it's good for you to jump to linux. but you know linux has it's own features and windows has it's own features.

        as ur per requirement ASP will not work on linux, because it is not supported.

        other all your problems will entertain linux.

        hope you can understand.

        Gulzaman

        ________________________________
        i am old so i come from commondore 64, through dos, windows, now finally make the jump to Linux.
        My application is web browsing on an intranet using old slow laptops on ethernet. So i don't need virus/firewall or other security. but i do need a light fast browser interface which can handle Java and ASP.
        Is this possible ? my gratitude to your advice...

        New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
        Hurry before someone else does!

      • Loyal Barber
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "andrevdm" <andrevdm@...> wrote:

          > i am old so i come from commondore 64, through dos, windows, now finally make the jump to Linux.
          > My application is web browsing on an intranet using old slow laptops on ethernet. So i don't need virus/firewall or other security. but i do need a light fast browser interface which can handle Java and ASP.
          > Is this possible ? my gratitude to your advice...

          Hey, you are making me feel old. I can one up this. I started with
          a Timex Sinclair before my commodore 64. I am currently using an
          old Dell laptop, Inspiron 600m. 1 GB RAM, 60 GB hard drive, intel
          mobile single core processor. I am running on the beta of Ubuntu
          9.04 using Firefox for my browser. All of these conform to your
          requirements. Why am I using a beta? Because Ubuntu 9.04 introduces
          the latest version of the file system ext4 which is SO fast.

          My regular work laptop has Linux Mint on it. For the desktop, I think
          it is the best, easiest, and friendliest. It is based on Ubuntu but
          will do a better job of finding the correct drivers for all of my
          hardware. It made finding the proprietary drivers for my wireless
          completely effortless.

          If your laptops are older and more limited than the one I am using,
          I hear good things about DSL (damn small linux) which seems to
          minimize requirements. Most all of these linux versions have a
          live-CD version. That means you can boot from the CD and run
          that version of Linux without touching your hard drive. In
          general everything works like that distro of Linux, but will be
          slower depending on the speed of your CD. Good luck and let us
          know your progress.

          Loyal
        • David Bevins
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "andrevdm" <andrevdm@...> wrote:

            > i am old so i come from commondore 64, through dos, windows, now finally make the jump to Linux.
            > My application is web browsing on an intranet using old slow laptops on ethernet. So i don't need virus/firewall or other security. but i do need a light fast browser interface which can handle Java and ASP.
            > Is this possible ? my gratitude to your advice...

            If the computers have 128mb or less of RAM and are PII or PIII's, , try PuppyLinux. I have ran PuppyLinux on a PII. It can still play DVD's and music, and the browser is spry.

            You can try PuppyLinux without making any changes to the computers by using a Live CD.

            The browser can handle java and flash, but ASP is something that occurs on the server not in the browser.

            If it is a PI or a 486 machine, maybe ArchLinux, but you would have to build much of the environment.

            If the computers are PIII's, PIV's or greater, try Debian or Ubuntu.
          • m_alexander61
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2009
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David Bevins" <dcbevins@...> wrote:

              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "andrevdm" <andrevdm@> wrote:
              > >
              > > i am old so i come from commondore 64, through dos, windows, now finally make the jump to Linux.
              > > My application is web browsing on an intranet using old slow laptops on ethernet. So i don't need virus/firewall or other security. but i do need a light fast browser interface which can handle Java and ASP.
              > > Is this possible ? my gratitude to your advice...
              > >

              > If the computers have 128mb or less of RAM and are PII or PIII's, , try PuppyLinux. I have ran PuppyLinux on a PII. It can still play DVD's and music, and the browser is spry.
              >
              > You can try PuppyLinux without making any changes to the computers by using a Live CD.
              >
              > The browser can handle java and flash, but ASP is something that occurs on the server not in the browser.
              >
              > If it is a PI or a 486 machine, maybe ArchLinux, but you would have to build much of the environment.
              >
              > If the computers are PIII's, PIV's or greater, try Debian or Ubuntu.

              Would SimplyMEPIS run on his machine, David? I've found the love of my life now but when I ran MEPIS it seemed to work pretty well, though I had trouble with sound. I believe I played with Puppy some, not really sure, but it gets pretty good reviews.
              Mark