Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mail from personal solaris/linux system

  • Mohan Kumar
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2009
      Thanks Gary, Robert, Justin for your thoughts.

      As of now, I am not near to the solution. However, I found following two articles which talks about Configuring sendmail with Gmail SMTP server in FreeBSD. Since it is written for FreeBSD, I am not sure it will work for Solaris OS. May be with some corrections/modifications, it will work in Solaris too. But since I am not very good in sendmail stuff, I am getting no clue.

      Can someone take a look to these articles and let me know the equivalent for Solaris. This is exactly what I need for Solaris.

      http://rajasuperman.blogspot.com/2006/09/gmail-as-smarthost-for-fre_115764792412436946.html

      http://port23.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/freebsd-sendmail-squirrelmail/

      I will summerize the entire procedure once I get it working so that it will be beneficial for all those looking for similar thing.

      Regards,
      Mohan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16, 2009
        On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:38:30AM -0700, Mohan Kumar wrote:
        > Thanks Gary, Robert, Justin for your thoughts.
        >
        > As of now, I am not near to the solution. However, I found following two articles which talks about Configuring sendmail with Gmail SMTP server in FreeBSD. Since it is written for FreeBSD, I am not sure it will work for Solaris OS. May be with some corrections/modifications, it will work in Solaris too. But since I am not very good in sendmail stuff, I am getting no clue.
        >
        > Can someone take a look to these articles and let me know the equivalent for Solaris. This is exactly what I need for Solaris.

        Unfortunately, I only have minimal Solaris knowledge. However, sendmail
        is probably going to be almost identical. Like you, however, I know
        almost nothing about it, I've been using postfix for a long time.
        (However, I never used it to send to gmail, for that I would use a small
        client like msmtp.)

        My guess is that the only difference might be the location of the
        binaries.

        Hrrm, I see it starts with Update, this does not work. Not a good
        sign. The trick, I guess will be TLS unless you're already familiar
        with that on Solaris. So, let's assume you know how to do that. :)

        The lines being added are probably going to go to sendmail.mc (Linux).
        There may be another file in /etc/mail (hopefully) with an .mc ending.

        I don't know if that's any help at all, and of course, I'm making an
        assumption. At any rate, from what little I know of sendmail. you edit
        the mc file then run a command, which is probably different for each
        system, to create the hash. You might even have a man page in their
        somewhere, which explains how to do it on Solaris.

        Hope this is some little help, but I have the feeling it probably isn't.

        Xander: Jeez. You mean Oz just sent for his stuff and didn't even
        call her? That's pretty harsh.
        Anya: I only wish I had my powers back. I'd liquefy his entrails
        for her.
        Xander: That's sweet.
      • mohan_6789
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2009
          Thanks Scott, for the hints.

          I have figured out the process of configuring sendmail + gmail on my home Solaris installation. I have updated my blog as well for the detailed process just in case if someone is looking for the same solution:

          http://unixadministrator.blogspot.com/2009/03/gmail-as-smarthost-for-solaris-sendmail.html