Access file server remotely

  • Aditya Dhage
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi all,
      I need some help to access my home based file server from my work place.

      The setup is as follows:
      1. Broadband internet
      Static IP
      No modem, direct connection
      2. NetGear Wifi router
      Dhcp enabled.
      3. File server
      Fedora 9 with firewall and SElinux enabled.
      Wired connection to router
      Fixed IP (192.168.1.2)
      ssh accessible from other lan machines.
      Headless setup (no k/b, mouse & monitor)

      Also I would request some advice on how to securely access the data from
      anywhere i.e. ssh or ftp?
      I've been a average user of linux but not very comfortable with firewall and
      selinux. So I'd be thankful for mentioning any changes required to it.

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      Aditya
    • Trevor Pearson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009
        Aditya Dhage wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I need some help to access my home based file server from my work place.
        >
        > The setup is as follows:
        > 1. Broadband internet
        > Static IP
        > No modem, direct connection
        > 2. NetGear Wifi router
        > Dhcp enabled.
        > 3. File server
        > Fedora 9 with firewall and SElinux enabled.
        > Wired connection to router
        > Fixed IP (192.168.1.2)
        > ssh accessible from other lan machines.
        > Headless setup (no k/b, mouse & monitor)
        >
        > Also I would request some advice on how to securely access the data from
        > anywhere i.e. ssh or ftp?
        > I've been a average user of linux but not very comfortable with firewall and
        > selinux. So I'd be thankful for mentioning any changes required to it.
        >

        > Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Aditya

        1. I would recommend using either ssh or sftp

        2. You need to check which 'port' you are using to connect (usually 22
        unless you've changed it)

        3. you need to log in to your router and set up 'port forwarding' for
        port 22 to the fixed i.p. address, consult the routers manual or check
        for online advice.

        4. from outside use a ssh client (putty for windows) to connect and
        test. ssh can 'tunnel' other protocols like sftp to do the actual transfer.

        Trev.

        Trev.

        4.
      • Aditya Dhage
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2009
          Hey Trev,
          This was far easy than I thought. Your instructions worked and now I can
          access my box from anywhere with ssh.

          Thanks a lot for the response.

          Regards,
          Aditya