Re: Looking for a recommendation re: Linux on a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop

  • unclerichard68
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 6, 2009
      > Based on the messages that I have read I am thinking of installing
      > Linux Mint but would consider any other recommendations. I am
      > wondering if I should run a dual boot system for the times when I need
      > Windows or should I just go with Linux and use something like Wine for
      > those times when I need to run Windows apps. I am also looking for
      > help on how I should partition the hard drive.
      >
      > Thanks for your help in advance and also thanks for running this group
      > to help people like myself.
      >
      > Dave

      I would suggest either Mint or Ubuntu (latest release). The former has
      all the codecs and some prop. drivers missing from Ubuntu.

      I would recommend a dual boot, with both Mint and Ubuntu this is a
      breeze provided you choose the manual option at the partition dialog
      and adjust the size of each partition to your needs.

      Mint and Ubuntu have the ability to read the Windows partition so if
      there are docs or files you want to work while in the Linux partition
      you can simply mount the Windows partition and save the docs/files in
      Ubuntu. There is a program to do the reverse (read Linux Partition
      from Windows, but I haven't used it my self. Because of this ability I
      prefer to work more in the Linux paretition than in Windows, but like
      you there are certain programs that either run better, or I prefer to
      run in Windows.

      Good luck.
    • Drmgiver
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 13, 2009
        Everyones experience is a bit different I guess. I have never had an
        issue with installing Linux programs from the net. I generally install
        them to my user folder, but it really doesn't matter I wouldn't
        imagine. Once installed you can get rid of the archive, so it doesn't
        matter where you download that too either.

        Justin