simple network

  • Charles P
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
      I have Mandrake version 7.something more or less on an old pentium II.
      That has to be because Mandrake is free and so is the machine. I am
      not in the rat race$
      I want to network (as in ethernet hard wired) the mandrake machines
      with as little effort as Windows networks. And with Windows that means
      no server. No downloaded or installed software. Just look in "my
      network folders" and see the KDE desktop. Why is this such an
      outstanding Linux failure?
    • Devlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
        For one your using an at least 9 year old version of Linux (I know since
        in 2000 I was running Mandrake 7.2) so of course it's not going to have
        the ease of use that a current installation of Linux or Windows OS would
        have.

        I recommend installing a more current Linux distro. It's hard to
        recommend one since you don't mention processor speed, hard drive
        capacity, or amount of system (RAM) memory.

        You also don't mention what you are trying to accomplish. I think your
        mistaken that Windows networks don't require servers it just depends on
        what it is your doing. Microsoft has it's own server for home use called
        "Windows Home Server" it runs around $180.oo USD.
        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver

        It all depends on what kind of networking you are hoping to do on either
        OS. Some require setting up servers, others do not....

        ~Devlin

        P.S.
        What happened to Mandrake since version 7.2?

        Mandrake hasn't existed since 2005. It filed chapter 11 bankruptcy in
        2003 and then in 2005 got aquired by the distro Conectiva. The two
        distro's became one now known as Mandriva.

        Charles P wrote:

        > I have Mandrake version 7.something more or less on an old pentium II.
        > That has to be because Mandrake is free and so is the machine. I am
        > not in the rat race$
        > I want to network (as in ethernet hard wired) the mandrake machines
        > with as little effort as Windows networks. And with Windows that means
        > no server. No downloaded or installed software. Just look in "my
        > network folders" and see the KDE desktop. Why is this such an
        > outstanding Linux failure?

      • Loyal Barber
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
          Please see imbedded answers . . .

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Devlin <devlinsmailbox@...> wrote:

          > For one your using an at least 9 year old version of Linux (I know
          since
          > in 2000 I was running Mandrake 7.2) so of course it's not going to have
          > the ease of use that a current installation of Linux or Windows OS
          would
          > have.
          >
          > I recommend installing a more current Linux distro. It's hard to
          > recommend one since you don't mention processor speed, hard drive
          > capacity, or amount of system (RAM) memory.
          >
          > You also don't mention what you are trying to accomplish. I think your
          > mistaken that Windows networks don't require servers it just depends on
          > what it is your doing. Microsoft has it's own server for home use
          called
          > "Windows Home Server" it runs around $180.oo USD.
          > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver

          Sorry, but the original question was more accurate than this response.
          You do not have to set up any kind of server with a Windows network.
          You can simply set up a "workgroup" then connect the computer to
          a router.

          > It all depends on what kind of networking you are hoping to do on
          either
          > OS. Some require setting up servers, others do not....
          >
          > ~Devlin
          ><snip>

          > > I have Mandrake version 7.something more or less on an old pentium II.
          > > That has to be because Mandrake is free and so is the machine. I am
          > > not in the rat race$
          > > I want to network (as in ethernet hard wired) the mandrake machines
          > > with as little effort as Windows networks. And with Windows that means
          > > no server. No downloaded or installed software. Just look in "my
          > > network folders" and see the KDE desktop. Why is this such an
          > > outstanding Linux failure?

          I have no idea the state of Linux or Samba in 2000 if that is in
          fact the age of your distro. You almost certainly will want to
          move forward in time if you can. There are small light distros
          that might work on your hardware. You can hook up your Linux box
          on a windows network using Samba. Frankly, with almost every
          distro I have installed, setting up Samba to work with the Windows
          network was simple. So simple, I don't even remember the steps to
          set everything up. I set up Linux Mint this weekend on my laptop
          and I cannot tell you the steps I used to set it up. It just
          worked. In other words, this is in no way a failurein Linux.
          Please give us some idea of your hardware and let us try to lead
          you the right way.

          Loyal
        • Linux Canuck
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
            Devlin,
            Conectiva did not take over Mandrake, but the other way around. The name change was due to a dispute with King Features owned by Hearst over the use of the name Mandrake which is their trademarked name for a comic character, Mandrake the Magician. I believe that Mandrakesoft lost in court and had to change the name and logo. So the name change was long in the works and the acquisition of Conectiva in made it permanent in 2005. Mandrake became Mandrakelinux for a short time before they took over Conectiva.

            Yes, they went into bankrupcy protection but they emerged from it and managed to pay 2.3 million dollars US to Conectiva, a Brazilian company. Now they appear to be on solid footing. Both Conectiva and Mandrake were originally based on Red Hat, but Mandriva now is sufficiently diverged that it has spawned many of its own distro forks.

            Roy

            Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
            Support Open source.
            <*,)}}+<
            Only dead fish go with the flow!

          • Harold Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Loyal Barber"
              <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
              >You can hook up your Linux box on a windows network using Samba.
              >Frankly, with almost every distro I have installed, setting up Samba
              to work with the Windows network was simple. So simple, I don't even
              >remember the steps to set everything up. I set up Linux Mint this
              >weekend on my laptop and I cannot tell you the steps I used to set it
              >up. It just worked. In other words, this is in no way a failure in
              >Linux.

              Loyal, what is simple for some is not so simple for others. I have a
              similar situation but have never networked or understood Samba. Don't
              want to hijack this thread. Will watch and see if I can learn something.

              Thanks in advance,
              Harold
            • Charles P
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                Thanks to you folks trying to help.

                I have a junk collection of Pentium 11s and threes running from 200
                MHz to 800 Mhz. I ought to pick something that will run on all of them
                because when one dies I just grab the next one.

                > >You can hook up your Linux box on a windows network using Samba.
                I don't want to download any special software. I didn't have to do it
                for Windows. These days every time you turn around you have to
                download something especially to see the movies. It is a real mess.

                I can connect two windows machines with a single cable. The network
                equivalent of a null modem. Why can't I do that with Linux?

                The machines can ping each other. Ping works.

                I want to get out of the Windows rat race where you are under the
                control of Microsoft, and have to continually buy their stuff.
              • Devlin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Linux Canuk,

                  I got my information directly from Mandriva's website.

                  Quoting Mandriva's website: Pay special attention to 2005.

                  ( http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/en/company/backgrounder )

                  "History

                  * 1998: First Mandrake Linux Distro created by Gael Duval;
                  Mandrakesoft created by Jacques Le Marois, Gaël Duval and Frédéric Bastok.

                  * 1999: Distribution agreement signed with MacMillan for the US and
                  Canada, round of funding by VCs.

                  * 2000: New management team of US professionals put in place by the
                  financial investors.

                  * 2001: Mandrakesoft listed on the Euronext Marché Libre. Departure
                  of the US management team and return to the helm of the founders.
                  Mandrake Expert and Mandrake Club created.

                  * 2003: Beginning of Chapt 11 observation period; introduction of
                  Mandriva Move the first USB based Linux desktop.

                  * 2004: Exit of Chapter 11 observation period through a
                  continuation plan and new round of financing. Edge IT acquisition.
                  Introduction of a corporate product line with Corporate Server. French
                  Defense Agency grants contract to develop an EAL5 rated desktop to a
                  consortium including Mandrakesoft. EU Commission funds r&d EDOS project
                  to develop new software engineering tools for Linux Distributions.

                  * 2005: Conectiva acquisition. Mandrakesoft + Conectiva becomes
                  Mandriva thus solving a long standing legal fight with Hearst
                  Publication about the Mandrakesoft name. Introduction of the system
                  administration tool Pulse, the first open source tele-distribution tool.

                  * 2006: Introduction of Mandriva One, OEM agreement with HP in
                  Latin America making Mandriva their preferred partner in that region,
                  introduction of Mandriva Flash, the first commercial Linux distribution
                  booting from a USB key. EU Commission funds r&d NEPOMUK project to
                  develop new semantic desktop technology.

                  * 2007: 3M€ raised in a round led by European VC fund Occam, Linbox
                  acquisition. "

                  Note the word "acquisition"

                  Definition from WordReference.com English dictionary
                  http://www.wordreference.com/definition/acquisition

                  "acquisition
                  A noun;
                  1 acquisition
                  the act of contracting or assuming or acquiring possession of
                  something; "the acquisition of wealth"; "the acquisition of one company
                  by another"

                  Conectiva BOUGHT Mandrake not the other way around.

                  There was a legal dispute with King Features/Hearst over the Mandrake
                  name, this you have right. But the name Mandriva is from the merging of
                  Mandrake and Conectiva.

                  MANDRake-conectIVA - Mandriva. After the aquisition both distro names
                  disappeared becoming Mandriva a single distro.

                  ~Devlin

                  Linux Canuck wrote:

                  > Devlin,
                  > Conectiva did not take over Mandrake, but the other way around. The name
                  > change was due to a dispute with King Features owned by Hearst over the
                  > use of the name Mandrake which is their trademarked name for a comic
                  > character, Mandrake the Magician. I believe that Mandrakesoft lost in
                  > court and had to change the name and logo. So the name change was long
                  > in the works and the acquisition of Conectiva in made it permanent in
                  > 2005. Mandrake became Mandrakelinux for a short time before they took
                  > over Conectiva.
                  >
                  > Yes, they went into bankrupcy protection but they emerged from it and
                  > managed to pay 2.3 million dollars US to Conectiva, a Brazilian company.
                  > Now they appear to be on solid footing. Both Conectiva and Mandrake were
                  > originally based on Red Hat, but Mandriva now is sufficiently diverged
                  > that it has spawned many of its own distro forks.
                  >
                  > Roy
                  >
                  > Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                  > Support Open source.
                  > <*,)}}+<
                  > Only dead fish go with the flow!

                  > Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try
                  > the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
                  > http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
                  > <http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>

                • Gary - US
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                    Nope. You are reading it incorrectly. "Conectiva acquisition." means they ACQUIRED Conectiva.

                    --
                    Semper Fi & God Bless the U.S.A.,
                    Gary in KC

                    <Proud Dad Of A Deployed U.S. Marine Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet>----- Message from devlinsmailbox@... ---------
                    Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:19:52 -0500
                    From: Devlin <devlinsmailbox@...>
                    Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] re: simple network
                    To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com

> [...]
                    >> in the works and the acquisition of Conectiva in made it permanent in
                    >> 2005. Mandrake became Mandrakelinux for a short time before they took
                    >> over Conectiva.
                    >>
                    >> Yes, they went into bankrupcy protection but they emerged from it and
                    >> managed to pay 2.3 million dollars US to Conectiva, a Brazilian company.
                    >> Now they appear to be on solid footing. Both Conectiva and Mandrake were
                    >> originally based on Red Hat, but Mandriva now is sufficiently diverged
                    >> that it has spawned many of its own distro forks.
                    >>
                    >> Roy
                    >>
                    >> Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                    >> Support Open source.
                    >> <*,)}}+<
                    >> Only dead fish go with the flow!

                    >> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try
                    >> the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at

                    ----- End message from devlinsmailbox@... -----

                    Links:
                    ------
                    [1] http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/en/company/backgrounder
                    [2] http://www.wordreference.com/definition/acquisition
                    [3] http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
                    [4] http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
                    [7] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Loyal Barber
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Loyal Barber"
                      > <loyal_barber@> wrote:
                      > >You can hook up your Linux box on a windows network using Samba.
                      > >Frankly, with almost every distro I have installed, setting up Samba
                      > to work with the Windows network was simple. So simple, I don't even
                      > >remember the steps to set everything up. I set up Linux Mint this
                      > >weekend on my laptop and I cannot tell you the steps I used to set it
                      > >up. It just worked. In other words, this is in no way a failure in
                      > >Linux.
                      >
                      > Loyal, what is simple for some is not so simple for others. I have a
                      > similar situation but have never networked or understood Samba. Don't
                      > want to hijack this thread. Will watch and see if I can learn something.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance,
                      > Harold

                      Fair enough, Harold, but I believe it came with the base install
                      of Mint and worked immediately.

                      Loyal
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                        On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 05:28:31AM -0000, Loyal Barber wrote:
                        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Loyal Barber"
                        > > <loyal_barber@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Loyal, what is simple for some is not so simple for others. I have a
                        > > similar situation but have never networked or understood Samba. Don't
                        > > want to hijack this thread. Will watch and see if I can learn something.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks in advance,
                        > > Harold
                        > >
                        > Fair enough, Harold, but I believe it came with the base install
                        > of Mint and worked immediately.

                        I have to say, Mint is the one I'm recommending for newcomers now. I
                        was playing with the live CD, it saw I had NVidia, downloaded the
                        drivers, and though it lied and said I needed a reboot, a simple
                        ctl+alt+backspace did it. Very impressive. Not to mention, as one
                        reviewer said, it includes <gasp> useful multimedia codecs. While GPL
                        purists would probably be annoyed, most people think, Wow, I can play
                        all media without having to enable non-free, find the name, blah blah.

                        Willow: I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!