Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Replacing Vista (I hope!)

  • Dennis Mingear
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
      I loaded XP Pro on my XP box first and then Ubuntu and Ubuntu showed up first in the GRUB menu, same for my Vista x64 box.

      I finally grew to like Ubuntu enough that I just removed the XP Pro with a fresh install of U-8.10 and I haven't missed XP yet and it's been several weeks.

      Denny ...

      Hope keeps you going ... Fear keeps you alive!

      Brought to you by Ubuntu 8.10, and FireFox 3.0.3 through the magic of Linux.

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
        With a 32 bit Vista machine I would think that all of the required drivers would be available from the maker of your pC.

        Look online and se if XP drivers are available from the manufacturer for your computer. Mine is from HP and they sold my machine with Vista or XP so they had all of the required drivers, but I decided to go Linux and haven't turned back since.

        <dennismingear@ ...> wrote:

        > Is it a 64 bit machine running Vista x64, any flavor?

        > If so you may have some problems finding drivers for the conversion.

        > Denny ...

        > Hope keeps you going ... Fear keeps you alive!

        > Brought to you by Ubuntu 8.10, and FireFox 3.0.3 through the magic

        of Linux.

      • dar
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
          Re: Replacing Vista (I hope!)
          G'day Mark,
          -You might give PC/OS OpenDesktop 2009 a try
          -*everything* worked on the T61 [which was preloaded with nausea-inducing vista]
          cheers,
          dar

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com,
          > "m_alexander61"
          > <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Having purchased a new PC with Vista (not by choice,
          > but there was no
          > > option), I am eager to free up all that memory. My
          > first plan was to
          > > replace with a new "upgrade" of XP, but XP
          > doesn't recognize my
          > > harddrive. I have hard- and software that run great
          > on XP, and I would
          > > love to set up a dual-boot, so...
          > > 1) Recommendations for installing XP? I know it can
          > be done, but
          > > everyone has a different opinion, and it'll be a
          > one-way ticket. Yes,
          > > this version of XP will also install without another
          > version of Windows
          > > on the drive (in theory).
          > > 2) I've tried about 10 different distros but I
          > would appreciate any
          > > suggestions for one which is non-corporate (Suse, Red
          > Hat, etc.), Gnome-
          > > friendly, good for recognizing hardware, and easy for
          > a newb to
          > > update. I have Debian on my other laptop and find it
          > a bit too
          > > complicated at this point. I assume that I will also
          > need to find
          > > codecs for my system, and any info here would be
          > great.
          > > My (future Linux-only) laptop is a Dell Vostro 1510,
          > in case anyone
          > > has dealt with that particular machine.
          > > Thanks much,
          > > Mark
        • m_alexander61
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 14, 2008
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, dar <dobbie606@...> wrote:

            > Re: Replacing Vista (I hope!)
            > G'day Mark,
            > -You might give PC/OS OpenDesktop 2009 a try
            > -*everything* worked on the T61 [which was preloaded with nausea-
            inducing vista]
            > cheers,
            > dar

            G'day, dar!
            I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too much for
            PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a shot.
            Can't remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but I'll
            try the '09 version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it a
            shot.
            Cheers!
          • zed
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 14, 2008
              "m_alexander61" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, dar <dobbie606@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Re: Replacing Vista (I hope!)
              > > G'day Mark, -You might give PC/OS OpenDesktop 2009 a try -*everything*
              > > worked on the T61 [which was preloaded with nausea-
              > inducing vista]
              > > cheers, dar
              > >

              > G'day, dar!
              > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too much for
              > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a shot. Can't
              > remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but I'll try the '09
              > version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it a shot.

              Hi!

              Did you download Felicia, LinuxMINT v6.0, which was released a few days ago?

              Regards from New Zealand on a hot and muggy Monday evening.

              Zed
              --
              zed
            • Harold Williams
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 15, 2008
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
                <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too much for
                > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a shot.
                > Can't remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but I'll
                > try the '09 version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it a
                > shot.

                Don't think you will be disappointed with Mint. It just works. The
                only drawback that some have is with the Ubuntu policy of shielding
                the user from being root.

                Harold
                Mepis 7.0 & 8.0
                Mint 5 KDE
                Kubuntu 8.04
              • m_alexander61
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 15, 2008
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, zed <zed@...> wrote:

                  > "m_alexander61" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > G'day, dar!
                  > > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too
                  much for
                  > > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a
                  shot. Can't
                  > > remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but I'll
                  try the '09
                  > > version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it a shot.
                  >
                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > Did you download Felicia, LinuxMINT v6.0, which was released a few
                  days ago?

                  > Regards from New Zealand on a hot and muggy Monday evening.
                  >
                  > Zed

                  Hi, Zed!
                  Nope, I went with Elyssa, since it was the latest stable version
                  as of my download. I haven't burned the disk yet, let alone used it
                  (of course) but I have the image ready, and have the V Box file
                  (virtualbox-ose.mint) as well, though I'm not sure about the
                  easiest/best way to load it. I guess I just burn it along with
                  the .iso to the disk, no? Or should I save it to flash and then
                  mount/load that way. <Obviously a newb here!>
                  Regards from South Carolina, USA on a chilly and damp Monday
                  afternoon. Wanna trade places? Seriously!
                  Mark
                • m_alexander61
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 16, 2008
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
                    > <m_alexander61@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too
                    much for
                    > > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a
                    shot.
                    > > Can't remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but
                    I'll
                    > > try the '09 version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it
                    > > shot.
                    >
                    > Don't think you will be disappointed with Mint. It just works. The
                    > only drawback that some have is with the Ubuntu policy of shielding
                    > the user from being root.
                    >
                    > Harold
                    > Mepis 7.0 & 8.0
                    > Mint 5 KDE
                    > Kubuntu 8.

                    Thanks, Harold! I guess that (shielding) is a good thing really,
                    for us newbs at least. I know a bit about using "su", so that
                    shouldn't get in the way. Better to go to a bit of extra work than
                    to run the risk of screwing up everything, eh?
                    Mark

                  • Loyal Barber
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 17, 2008
                      <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, zed <zed@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > "m_alexander61" <m_alexander61@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > <snip>
                      > Hi, Zed!
                      > Nope, I went with Elyssa, since it was the latest stable version
                      > as of my download. I haven't burned the disk yet, let alone used it
                      > (of course) but I have the image ready, and have the V Box file
                      > (virtualbox-ose.mint) as well, though I'm not sure about the
                      > easiest/best way to load it. I guess I just burn it along with
                      > the .iso to the disk, no? Or should I save it to flash and then
                      > mount/load that way. <Obviously a newb here!>
                      > Regards from South Carolina, USA on a chilly and damp Monday
                      > afternoon. Wanna trade places? Seriously!
                      > Mark

                      On my install, I put in Mint5 first. It boots as a live CD but there
                      is an "install" icon. After I installed it and had everything
                      running fine, I downloaded virtual box for Ubuntu 8.04 from
                      http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. it installed
                      flawlessly. I then installed
                      windows XP under that. My memories of the vbox and xp installs
                      are non-existent, which means they went supremely well and were
                      easy to follow. Good luck to you.

                      Loyal
                    • Gary
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 17, 2008
                        <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
                        > > <m_alexander61@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too
                        > much for
                        > > > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a
                        > shot.
                        > > > Can't remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but
                        > I'll
                        > > > try the '09 version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it
                        > > > shot.
                        > >
                        > > Don't think you will be disappointed with Mint. It just works. The
                        > > only drawback that some have is with the Ubuntu policy of shielding
                        > > the user from being root.
                        > >
                        > > Harold
                        > > Mepis 7.0 & 8.0
                        > > Mint 5 KDE
                        > > Kubuntu 8.
                        >
                        > Thanks, Harold! I guess that (shielding) is a good thing really,
                        > for us newbs at least. I know a bit about using "su", so that
                        > shouldn't get in the way. Better to go to a bit of extra work than
                        > to run the risk of screwing up everything, eh?
                        > Mark

                        I think you'll like Mint. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool KDE guy, but if I
                        had to grit my teeth and use a Gnome-based distro, Mint would be it.
                        I've tried a couple of their releases (Cassandra and Elissa), so I can
                        say that with some certainty.

                        Knowing "su" will actually trip you up here because "sudo", while
                        doing things similarly, has some very different internal behaviors,
                        and is in some ways trickier to use. You have to plan how to pass the
                        parameters of each sudo'd command at one remove, which can sometimes
                        lead to very convoluted syntax. At least you won't have much to
                        UN-learn.
                      • Harold Williams
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 18, 2008
                          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:
                          > Knowing "su" will actually trip you up here because "sudo", while
                          > doing things similarly, has some very different internal behaviors,
                          > and is in some ways trickier to use. You have to plan how to pass the
                          > parameters of each sudo'd command at one remove, which can sometimes
                          > lead to very convoluted syntax. At least you won't have much to
                          > UN-learn.

                          Gary, can you explain for me what you meant in the next to last
                          sentence. I didn't understand.

                          Harold
                        • zed
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 18, 2008
                            "m_alexander61" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, zed <zed@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > "m_alexander61" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > G'day, dar!
                            > > > I really appreciate the recommendation but I didn't care too
                            > much for
                            > > > PC/OS, though I'm open-minded enough to give the new version a
                            > shot. Can't
                            > > > remember what it was about it that I didn't care for, but I'll
                            > try the '09
                            > > > version. First though, I gotta burn Mint and give it a shot.
                            > >
                            > > Hi!
                            > >
                            > > Did you download Felicia, LinuxMINT v6.0, which was released a few
                            > days ago?
                            > >
                            > > Regards from New Zealand on a hot and muggy Monday evening.
                            > >
                            > > Zed
                            >
                            > Hi, Zed!
                            > Nope, I went with Elyssa, since it was the latest stable version
                            > as of my download. I haven't burned the disk yet, let alone used it (of
                            > course) but I have the image ready, and have the V Box file
                            > (virtualbox-ose.mint) as well, though I'm not sure about the easiest/best
                            > way to load it. I guess I just burn it along with the .iso to the disk,
                            > no? Or should I save it to flash and then mount/load that way.
                            > <Obviously a newb here!>
                            > Regards from South Carolina, USA on a chilly and damp Monday
                            > afternoon. Wanna trade places? Seriously!

                            Hi Mark

                            Sorry for the delay in replying. Life gets in the way at times :=)

                            I did the same as Loyal and have had no problems. I did, at first, try
                            VirtualBox.ose but for some reason couldn't install the Additions. So I
                            went to the Sun site and installed the then latest version and it works
                            flawlessly.

                            Just installed v6.0 (Felicia) on my Thinkpad and it works well. I'll give
                            it a trial for a week and, if there are no problems, I'll install on my
                            Desktop.

                            One thing I did find out was that it a distinct advantage to have a separate
                            Home partition. It makes installing an upgrade or, indeed, another
                            distribution, so much easier. Just remember not to format that partition.

                            Zed

                            --
                            zed
                          • m_alexander61
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 18, 2008
                              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:

                              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
                              > <m_alexander61@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"

                              > > much for
                              > > shot.
                              > > I'll
                              > > >
                              > > > Don't think you will be disappointed with Mint. It just works. The
                              > > > only drawback that some have is with the Ubuntu policy of shielding
                              > > > the user from being root.
                              > > >
                              > > > Harold
                              > > > Mepis 7.0 & 8.0
                              > > > Mint 5 KDE
                              > > > Kubuntu 8.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks, Harold! I guess that (shielding) is a good thing really,
                              > > for us newbs at least. I know a bit about using "su", so that
                              > > shouldn't get in the way. Better to go to a bit of extra work than
                              > > to run the risk of screwing up everything, eh?
                              > > Mark
                              > > >

                              > I think you'll like Mint. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool KDE guy, but if I
                              > had to grit my teeth and use a Gnome-based distro, Mint would be it.
                              > I've tried a couple of their releases (Cassandra and Elissa), so I can
                              > say that with some certainty.
                              >
                              > Knowing "su" will actually trip you up here because "sudo", while
                              > doing things similarly, has some very different internal behaviors,
                              > and is in some ways trickier to use. You have to plan how to pass the
                              > parameters of each sudo'd command at one remove, which can sometimes
                              > lead to very convoluted syntax. At least you won't have much to
                              > UN-learn.

                              *Actually, I plan to use shell commands as little as possible...just
                              thought that I might have to go in to tweak a little, such as
                              installing drivers. Yes, I know, I should get used to shell commands,
                              which I will do as I wean myself from Windows. I've amassed quite a
                              few Linux books, so maybe I'll actually read some instead of just
                              using the live CD's.
                              I was surprised, but when I checked out my Mint disk, it was just
                              like using a "live" CD, as Loyal said. I really liked it's feel and,
                              well yeah, the Gnome desktop too...just a personal pref.
                              Oh, while on the topic, more or less, is it relatively easy to
                              convert a distro into a live CD, assuming it doesn't already function
                              as much as one like Mint?
                              I'm so glad to have found this forum. The other one I belong to is
                              so full of people with issues, and too many people don't belong there.
                              Can you imagine an agnostic group with religious members attacking
                              anyone who actually is agnostic? It would be like having M$
                              supporters here!
                              G'day, all!
                              Mark
                            • m_alexander61
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 19, 2008
                                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, zed <zed@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Mark
                                >
                                > Sorry for the delay in replying. Life gets in the way at times :=)
                                >
                                > I did the same as Loyal and have had no problems. I did, at first, try
                                > VirtualBox.ose but for some reason couldn't install the Additions. So I
                                > went to the Sun site and installed the then latest version and it works
                                > flawlessly.
                                >
                                > Just installed v6.0 (Felicia) on my Thinkpad and it works well.
                                I'll give
                                > it a trial for a week and, if there are no problems, I'll install on my
                                > Desktop.
                                >
                                > One thing I did find out was that it a distinct advantage to have a
                                separate
                                > Home partition. It makes installing an upgrade or, indeed, another
                                > distribution, so much easier. Just remember not to format that
                                partition.

                                > Zed

                                Thanks, Zed! Loyal sent me an email response mentioning VBox for
                                Ubuntu, which was good because I had dloaded the .ose version also.
                                Didn't even get 'round to burning it, but the latest version has an
                                extension other than ".ose"? Good to know.
                                "In a world without walls, who needs Windows?"
                                Mark