Re: Vista to XP to Linux on new computer

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Alex,
      I've had considerable experience with Windows and from what you say
      you need to reformat you disk and install a copy of (I would suggest)
      Windows98 or ME and then upgrade to Windows XP.
      Before you install you Linux make sure you leave adequate
      unpartitioned free space on the hard drive.
      If you live in the UK contact me through another e-mail address which
      is david.parsons63@... and there is some more practical help
      I can offer.
      Regards,
      David.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
      <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

      > Hi, all!
      > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
      the
      > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I like
      > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
      but
      > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
      load
      > it. Any suggestions?
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Mark
      > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can only
      be
      > installed with an existing version of Windows.

    • David
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
        There is an aspect of this problem I neglected to mention - drivers.
        Too many new PCs come with vista pre-installed and to back the
        operating systen up there is a need to make system cds or dvds. The
        problem with this is that the back up disks are specific to vista
        and you've then got to download the XP drivers - which can sometimes
        be a pain to find.
        Check if you need to make the back up disks before doing anything
        else!
        THE BEST WAY TO HAVE A NEW COMPUTER IS TO EITHER BUILD IT YOURSELF
        OR GET A SMALL COMPANY TO BUILD IT FOR YOU AND YOU WILL BE SUPPLIED
        WITH DRIVER CDS FOR XP AND VISTA.
        Decency doesn't permit me to express my views about vista.
        Hopefully we can all look forward to the day whan we don't need
        Windows - and many don't now.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David" <gingertom5005@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Alex,
        > I've had considerable experience with Windows and from what you
        say
        > you need to reformat you disk and install a copy of (I would
        suggest)
        > Windows98 or ME and then upgrade to Windows XP.
        > Before you install you Linux make sure you leave adequate
        > unpartitioned free space on the hard drive.
        > If you live in the UK contact me through another e-mail address
        which
        > is david.parsons63@... and there is some more practical help
        > I can offer.
        > Regards,
        > David.
        >
        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
        > <m_alexander61@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, all!
        > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then
        partition
        > the
        > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I
        like
        > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and
        h'ware,
        > but
        > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
        > load
        > > it. Any suggestions?
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > > Mark
        > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
        only
        > be
        > > installed with an existing version of Windows.

      • Gary-US
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
          You do not need to install the older version of Windows, just have the disk availble. During the installation, it will ask you to insert the disk for validation.

          Semper Fi,
          Gary

          * Sent via my Sprint mobile on the Now Network *

          <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

          > Hi, all!
          > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
          the
          > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I like
          > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
          but
          > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
          load
          > it. Any suggestions?
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Mark
          > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can only
          be
          > installed with an existing version of Windows.

        • m_alexander61
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kemp <wb7ooe@...> wrote:

            > m_alexander61 wrote:
            > > Hi, all!
            > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
            the
            > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I
            like
            > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
            but
            > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
            load
            > > it. Any suggestions?
            > > Thanks in advance,
            > > Mark
            > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
            only be
            > > installed with an existing version of Windows.
            > >

            > I don't believe an upgrade can be used to downgrade. You need
            either a
            > full instal disk or an earlier Windows version.
            > Bruce

            *Thanks to everyone, but this is the "best" answer to my problem,
            IMHO. In other words, that was what I was afraid of...another $200+
            to M$ for a full-install version of XP. After that it's all gravy.
            Sigh.... Incidentally, David, while I have enjoyed the experience of
            using Vista as something new and different, I only bought this
            computer because it was one whale of a good deal, and I would have
            gladly paid the extra $ for the XP "downgrade" if it was available
            with this model, or better still, purchased it with XP already
            installed.
            Again, thanks to all!
            Mark
          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
              Microsoft call it 'downgrade', I think a better definition would
              be 'regrade'.
              What do you think?

              <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kemp <wb7ooe@> wrote:
              > >
              > > m_alexander61 wrote:
              > > > Hi, all!
              > > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then
              partition
              > the
              > > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro,
              > like
              > > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and
              h'ware,
              > but
              > > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying
              > load
              > > > it. Any suggestions?
              > > > Thanks in advance,
              > > > Mark
              > > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
              > only be
              > > > installed with an existing version of Windows.
              > > >

              > > I don't believe an upgrade can be used to downgrade. You need
              > either a
              > > full instal disk or an earlier Windows version.
              > > Bruce
              >
              > *Thanks to everyone, but this is the "best" answer to my
              problem,
              > IMHO. In other words, that was what I was afraid of...another
              $200+
              > to M$ for a full-install version of XP. After that it's all
              gravy.
              > Sigh.... Incidentally, David, while I have enjoyed the experience
              of
              > using Vista as something new and different, I only bought this
              > computer because it was one whale of a good deal, and I would have
              > gladly paid the extra $ for the XP "downgrade" if it was available
              > with this model, or better still, purchased it with XP already
              > installed.
              > Again, thanks to all!
              > Mark

            • David Neeley
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                Many "new" copies of XP --upgrade or complete install -- are actually
                versions which did not include the drivers for SATA drives. Without
                that modification in the install CD, the hard disk is not seen by
                Windows XP.

                I had a friend who found the proper driver on the Microsoft Developers
                Network site, IIRC, and added it to his install CD image, which he
                then re-recorded on a fresh recordable CD. It worked quite well, too.
                Unfortunately, I don't know the URL for retrieving it. My dual-boot
                laptop has an XP install CD I got from HP, so I am (fortunately) not
                bothered with this issue should I have to reload the OS--*again* (sigh!).

                David

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Aditya Dhage"
                > <aditya.dhage@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Check if your BIOS detects your HDD, if not problem is with HDD.
                > > Since you have an upgrade version of XP, I assume you already have
                > > some windows version installed on your HD partition.
                > > XP upgrade is done from within windows, so probably it should
                > already
                > > know about your HD.
              • m_alexander61
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Ah, thanks again, David! I never thought about Windows
                  installation CD's using images as I thought that was only Linux. Duh!
                  I'll have to see if I can find that driver. And then just burn it,
                  along with the XP image onto a new disk, eh? Sounds almost too easy
                  to be true! Love it!
                  Mark