Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Vista to XP to Linux on new computer

  • riceguy1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
      Dual boot Windows and linux works OK...I have a hard drive like
      that. BUT, it can be trouble as indicated by the Ubuntu chatrooms
      and folks with MBR and grub headaches. Live Linux CDs can solve that
      problem. It's easy to save a "persistence" file with Puppy Linux
      without dual boot worries. AND it's impossible to mess up a live CD
      OS as long as you keep a backup copy of the persistence file!

      P.

      Persistence file sounds like a good way to run all demo disks or to "get one's feet wet". Is this a switch on distros that keep getting mentioned like ubuntu, mandriva, mint, . . . . ? Puppy seems not to be mentioned. Hummm?
      David K
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Aditya Dhage"
      <aditya.dhage@...> wrote:

      > Check if your BIOS detects your HDD, if not problem is with HDD.
      > Since you have an upgrade version of XP, I assume you already have
      > some windows version installed on your HD partition.
      > XP upgrade is done from within windows, so probably it should
      already
      > know about your HD.
      >
      > Somehow I feel this is more related to windows rather than linux.
      > If you face any issues while installing linux, post it here, the
      group
      > members would be glad to help you out.
      >
      > regards,
      > Aditya
      >
      > On 11/29/08, m_alexander61 <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
      > > Hi, all!
      > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
      the
      > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I
      like
      > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
      but
      > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
      load
      > > it. Any suggestions?
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > > Mark
      > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
      only be
      > > installed with an existing version of Windows.

    • David
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Alex,
        I've had considerable experience with Windows and from what you say
        you need to reformat you disk and install a copy of (I would suggest)
        Windows98 or ME and then upgrade to Windows XP.
        Before you install you Linux make sure you leave adequate
        unpartitioned free space on the hard drive.
        If you live in the UK contact me through another e-mail address which
        is david.parsons63@... and there is some more practical help
        I can offer.
        Regards,
        David.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
          There is an aspect of this problem I neglected to mention - drivers.
          Too many new PCs come with vista pre-installed and to back the
          operating systen up there is a need to make system cds or dvds. The
          problem with this is that the back up disks are specific to vista
          and you've then got to download the XP drivers - which can sometimes
          be a pain to find.
          Check if you need to make the back up disks before doing anything
          else!
          THE BEST WAY TO HAVE A NEW COMPUTER IS TO EITHER BUILD IT YOURSELF
          OR GET A SMALL COMPANY TO BUILD IT FOR YOU AND YOU WILL BE SUPPLIED
          WITH DRIVER CDS FOR XP AND VISTA.
          Decency doesn't permit me to express my views about vista.
          Hopefully we can all look forward to the day whan we don't need
          Windows - and many don't now.

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David" <gingertom5005@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Alex,
          > I've had considerable experience with Windows and from what you
          say
          > you need to reformat you disk and install a copy of (I would
          suggest)
          > Windows98 or ME and then upgrade to Windows XP.
          > Before you install you Linux make sure you leave adequate
          > unpartitioned free space on the hard drive.
          > If you live in the UK contact me through another e-mail address
          which
          > is david.parsons63@... and there is some more practical help
          > I can offer.
          > Regards,
          > David.
          >
          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m_alexander61"
          > <m_alexander61@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, all!
          > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then
          partition
          > the
          > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I
          like
          > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and
          h'ware,
          > but
          > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
          > load
          > > it. Any suggestions?
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Mark
          > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
          only
          > be
          > > installed with an existing version of Windows.

        • Gary-US
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
            You do not need to install the older version of Windows, just have the disk availble. During the installation, it will ask you to insert the disk for validation.

            Semper Fi,
            Gary

            * Sent via my Sprint mobile on the Now Network *

            <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

            > Hi, all!
            > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
            the
            > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I like
            > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
            but
            > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
            load
            > it. Any suggestions?
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Mark
            > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can only
            be
            > installed with an existing version of Windows.

          • m_alexander61
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kemp <wb7ooe@...> wrote:

              > m_alexander61 wrote:
              > > Hi, all!
              > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then partition
              the
              > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro, I
              like
              > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and h'ware,
              but
              > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying to
              load
              > > it. Any suggestions?
              > > Thanks in advance,
              > > Mark
              > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
              only be
              > > installed with an existing version of Windows.
              > >

              > I don't believe an upgrade can be used to downgrade. You need
              either a
              > full instal disk or an earlier Windows version.
              > Bruce

              *Thanks to everyone, but this is the "best" answer to my problem,
              IMHO. In other words, that was what I was afraid of...another $200+
              to M$ for a full-install version of XP. After that it's all gravy.
              Sigh.... Incidentally, David, while I have enjoyed the experience of
              using Vista as something new and different, I only bought this
              computer because it was one whale of a good deal, and I would have
              gladly paid the extra $ for the XP "downgrade" if it was available
              with this model, or better still, purchased it with XP already
              installed.
              Again, thanks to all!
              Mark
            • David
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                Microsoft call it 'downgrade', I think a better definition would
                be 'regrade'.
                What do you think?

                <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kemp <wb7ooe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > m_alexander61 wrote:
                > > > Hi, all!
                > > > I wish to replace Vista with XP on a new laptop, then
                partition
                > the
                > > > hd to share XP and Linux (still haven't decided which distro,
                > like
                > > > most all of 'em). XP is needed for some older s'ware and
                h'ware,
                > but
                > > > my new XP upgrade doesn't recognize the harddrive when trying
                > load
                > > > it. Any suggestions?
                > > > Thanks in advance,
                > > > Mark
                > > > P.S. The XP is an upgrade version, so I assume that it can
                > only be
                > > > installed with an existing version of Windows.
                > > >

                > > I don't believe an upgrade can be used to downgrade. You need
                > either a
                > > full instal disk or an earlier Windows version.
                > > Bruce
                >
                > *Thanks to everyone, but this is the "best" answer to my
                problem,
                > IMHO. In other words, that was what I was afraid of...another
                $200+
                > to M$ for a full-install version of XP. After that it's all
                gravy.
                > Sigh.... Incidentally, David, while I have enjoyed the experience
                of
                > using Vista as something new and different, I only bought this
                > computer because it was one whale of a good deal, and I would have
                > gladly paid the extra $ for the XP "downgrade" if it was available
                > with this model, or better still, purchased it with XP already
                > installed.
                > Again, thanks to all!
                > Mark

              • David Neeley
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Many "new" copies of XP --upgrade or complete install -- are actually
                  versions which did not include the drivers for SATA drives. Without
                  that modification in the install CD, the hard disk is not seen by
                  Windows XP.

                  I had a friend who found the proper driver on the Microsoft Developers
                  Network site, IIRC, and added it to his install CD image, which he
                  then re-recorded on a fresh recordable CD. It worked quite well, too.
                  Unfortunately, I don't know the URL for retrieving it. My dual-boot
                  laptop has an XP install CD I got from HP, so I am (fortunately) not
                  bothered with this issue should I have to reload the OS--*again* (sigh!).

                  David

                  > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Aditya Dhage"
                  > <aditya.dhage@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Check if your BIOS detects your HDD, if not problem is with HDD.
                  > > Since you have an upgrade version of XP, I assume you already have
                  > > some windows version installed on your HD partition.
                  > > XP upgrade is done from within windows, so probably it should
                  > already
                  > > know about your HD.
                • m_alexander61
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Ah, thanks again, David! I never thought about Windows
                    installation CD's using images as I thought that was only Linux. Duh!
                    I'll have to see if I can find that driver. And then just burn it,
                    along with the XP image onto a new disk, eh? Sounds almost too easy
                    to be true! Love it!
                    Mark