Re: Problem sharing printer over our network.

  • james_jolin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2008
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@...>
      wrote:

      > It is both. I don't actually use the wireless capability as I prefer
      wired connections for speed and stability. It has one ethernet port
      and one usb port plus the wireless. Usb is for the printer. I have not
      actually tried the wireless connectivity because the ethernet works
      and I prefer it.

      Roy

      Thanks again, Roy. I will see if I can find a stateside supplier. I
      don't know what the duty is from Canada anymore (haven't been to
      Sudbury in quite awhile}. If you can supply anymore info I sure would
      appreciate it.
      Jim
    • Linux Canuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
        I am not sure where I got it. I buy computer supplies and equipment from only a handful of places: Staples, Future Shop (Canadian company owned by Best Buy), the Source (Canadian version of Radio Shack but owned by Circuit City), Factory Direct (factorydirect.ca) and Canada Computers. I think that it was either Staples or Factory Direct, but can't remember. You can find lots of print servers online.

        Mine looks like this:
        This is a newer version of mine: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=5&scid=109&pid=1511
        Here is a review of SMC, plus the unfavorable one in pcmag above:
        http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3299911

        I checked the Factory Direct website and they have three for sale, two by NetGear and one by LinkSys. I checked Staples (Canada only as I need to input a zip code to search US) and found they carry D-Link. But Factory Direct's prices were way better. I paid under $20 for mine (on clearance), but they are going for $35 - $150 today with Factory Direct being at the bottom end. At the top end you get lots of bells and whistles such as G support, lots of ports and routers with print servers, etc. Mine is very basic, but does what I want it to. Much of the market is directed towards business or SOHO. Prices seem higher than I remember because they have added lots to them. I checked eBay and they had some inexpensive ones.

        Best of luck,
        Roy

        Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
        Support Open source.
        <*,)}}+<
        Only dead fish go with the flow!

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
          wrote:

          > I am not sure where I got it. I buy computer supplies and equipment
          from only a handful of places: Staples, Future Shop (Canadian company
          owned by Best Buy), the Source (Canadian version of Radio Shack but
          owned by Circuit City), Factory Direct (factorydirect.ca) and Canada
          Computers. I think that it was either Staples or Factory Direct, but
          can't remember. You can find lots of print servers online.

          > Mine looks like this:
          > This is a newer version of mine:
          http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=5&scid=109&pid=1511
          > Here is a review of SMC, plus the unfavorable one in pcmag above:
          > http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3299911
          >

          > I checked the Factory Direct website and they have three for sale,
          two by NetGear and one by LinkSys. I checked Staples (Canada only as I
          need to input a zip code to search US) and found they carry D-Link.
          But Factory Direct's prices were way better. I paid under $20 for mine
          (on clearance), but they are going for $35 - $150 today with Factory
          Direct being at the bottom end. At the top end you get lots of bells
          and whistles such as G support, lots of ports and routers with print
          servers, etc. Mine is very basic, but does what I want it to. Much of
          the market is directed towards business or SOHO. Prices seem higher
          than I remember because they have added lots to them. I checked eBay
          and they had some inexpensive ones.

          > Best of luck,
          Again, thanks for the info. I did look around, but I really didn't
          know what I was looking for. Your info helps.
          Better get off this as its a little o.t. Thanks again.
          Jim