Re: [LINUX_Newbies] where is $HOME set

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13 9:01 AM
      On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 06:47:49AM -0000, wally_2nd wrote:
      > I am new to Linux and wondering where the variable $HOME is set.
      >
      > The reason I am asking is that there are currently two home
      > directories: /home/wally and /homes/wally. And with env, it
      > shows 'HOME=/homes/wally' and 'OLDHOME=/home/wally'
      >
      > It really gets me confused, any help would be appreciated.

      That's odd, I haven't come across that.

      To find out the actual value of a variable, you can do

      echo $HOME

      In a standard Linux, Unix or other Unix-like system install, I believe
      that home will always be /home/wally (unless your user name isn't
      wally). :)

      Willow: You just don't like him 'cause of that time he beat you
      up every day for five years.
      Xander: Yeah, I'm irrational that way.
    • Syed Akhtar Shah
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13 10:35 PM
        hi

        when you login linux pc  using wally account then cd ~ will go your home directory.
        or env command you can check your home directory.
        or
        #cat /etc/passwd |grep akhtars
        akhtars:x:1163:1312:Akhtar Hussain Shah:/home/akhtars:/bin/bash

        #cd ~

        Best Regards
        Akhtar