Re: laptop for dual boot XP and Linux??

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2008
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Williams" <hh6199@...>
      wrote:

      > I belong to more than one group and have read of some laptop problems
      > with different aspects of Linux, ie sound, video, etc.
      >
      > My wife keeps whining for a laptop. Of course it will have to run XP
      > but I would like to install Linux on it too. I don't want to buy one
      > that has problems with Linux.
      >
      > Do any of the following have problems with Linux that anyone knows of:
      > HP
      > Dell
      > Acer
      > Gateway.
      >
      > I am not hung up on a particular brand name but it's going to be my
      > wife's laptop that I will use some of the time. Don't even know if I
      > can buy any of the above without Vista on them. Probably not. If I
      > have to buy Vista I delay the purchase until I can find something
      > different or just delete it and install XP.
      >
      > Thanks for your input.

      Under the assumption that whatever computer you buy has Windows
      already installed, before you convert it over to Linux (or set it up
      to dual-boot, if you're feeling adventurous) you can make use of that.
      My laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) had the drivers in c:\Program
      Files\Broadcom\* The key is, if you're not going to preserve the
      Windows installation, *find* those directories/files and copy them off
      to a USB key for later reference. That way, you don't have to guess
      with generic *.ini files downloaded from wherever, you will have *.ini
      tailored precisely for your machine.

      What I was able to do, with my XP install intact (in hda1) and mounted
      to "/media/win_xp" under Linux, was to reach into the XP partition on
      the command line for "ndiswrapper -i" command.

      Don't forget to blacklist any competing drivers, and "modprobe -r"
      them, using either "su -c" or "sudo" as appropriate.
    • Brave PC
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
        Goto http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Main_Page

        --
        "Los pueblos que no defienden lo suyo, terminan siendo inquilinios en su
        propio país". Juanito Mora

        BravePC: Computadoras y servidores con personalidad http://201.198.60.118

        **************************
        ¿Le preocupa el acceso a información inconveniente para menores? Vaya a
        http://www.radiance.m6.net/spanish.html y podrá descargar un programa
        diseñado para bloquear -fácilmente- sitios de la Internet automáticamente.

        "Recuerde la regla de tres simple para NO enviar correo basura (alertas de
        virus, entre otras):

        Cuando esté a punto de enviar un mensaje, hágase estas tres preguntas:

        1. ¿Escribió alguien más este mensaje?
        2. ¿Está enviándolo a una lista larga de personas?
        3. ¿Es un chiste, advertencia de cualquier clase que le llegó por correo,
        llamada de atención, poesía?.

        ¡Si la respuesta es SI a cualquiera de ellas, NO lo envíe!

        http://www.vsantivirus.com/hoax-messenger2.htm"

      • Harold Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > Also, which Linux do you plan to run on it?

          It will probably be Kubuntu. I am currently trying out on my desktop
          Kubuntu, Mint, and Mepis. They all seem to be working well. I am
          partial to Mepis but Kubuntu comes in a close second. Mint 5 is good
          but I am waiting to replace the gnome version that I have with the kde
          version when it comes out.

          Thanks,
          Harold
        • Harold Williams
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Zale Dowlen" <nzd1211@...>

            Thanks, Zale for the information. It seems that it was hard earned
            information for you.
          • Harold Williams
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:
              > My laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) had the drivers in c:\Program
              > Files\Broadcom\* The key is, if you're not going to preserve the
              > Windows installation, *find* those directories/files and copy them off
              > to a USB key for later reference. That way, you don't have to guess
              > with generic *.ini files downloaded from wherever, you will have *.ini
              > tailored precisely for your machine.
              >
              > What I was able to do, with my XP install intact (in hda1) and mounted
              > to "/media/win_xp" under Linux, was to reach into the XP partition on
              > the command line for "ndiswrapper -i" command.
              >
              > Don't forget to blacklist any competing drivers, and "modprobe -r"
              > them, using either "su -c" or "sudo" as appropriate.

              Thanks, Gary. What you just said makes me not even want to ever get a
              laptop.;) I am familiar with "ini" files in windows but it seems like
              what you said would be a lot of trouble. May just keep letting the
              wife whine.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
                On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:36:31PM -0000, Harold Williams wrote:
                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Also, which Linux do you plan to run on it?
                >
                > It will probably be Kubuntu.
                >I am
                > partial to Mepis but Kubuntu comes in a close second. Mint 5 is good
                > but I am waiting to replace the gnome version that I have with the kde
                > version when it comes out.

                What's wrong with Mepis, if you're partial to it?
                Some stores will let you boot a live CD on their display model. It
                probably varies by salesman, and frankly, I can't blame them for saying
                no, when they don't know you or know what might be on the CD.

                (Or, sometimes, you can slip the CD in when they're not looking, I
                suppose, but that strikes me as a bit unethical as well as risky.)

                Now, one other suggestion might be to take whatever laptop seems good to
                you, and start looking on the Ubuntu and Mepis forums for threads about
                it. (If it works on those, then it should also work on Mint and
                Kubuntu--of course, the Kubuntu stuff is on the Ubuntu forums.)

                Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.
              • David Neeley
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Potential problems with various laptops don't stop with wifi.

                  However, the brand isn't so much an issue as the configuration of the
                  particular model. If I were buying a new one today, I'd be sure to get
                  a laptop with separate video and video RAM. That makes things much
                  simpler, I think, and performs much better. In truth, the vast
                  majority of laptops are made by a limited number of manufacturers
                  under contract with the major brands--so there is much similarity from
                  one to another.

                  For example, I have an HP DV5000 series laptop. When the Ubuntu family
                  was "updated" about three versions ago, the login screen went crazy!
                  Information is in HUGE fonts, making the whole thing rather useless.
                  This is true for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and various *buntu clones. I
                  searched the Web and never could locate the source of the problem or
                  how to fix it.

                  In addition, although the sound worked fine running the Live CD, after
                  installation, it didn't work at all. I presume that would be fixable,
                  but I didn't stick around with it long enough to alter the config
                  files to tell.

                  By contrast, the Intel wireless worked fine in a variety of
                  distributions I've sampled.

                  At present, I'm running OpenSUSE 11 on it, and everything works fine
                  (although the original choice for video, 800x600, was obviously pretty
                  lame). I have mixed emotions about KDE 4.0, but I understand that 4.1
                  is a big improvement--I just haven't had the time to download the beta
                  and install it.

                  I was impressed that the current iteration of YAST is nearly as easy
                  to use as the Ubuntu system for finding and installing
                  software...probably just as easy as I get more used to it. So far, the
                  repositories seem a bit smaller than the Ubuntu ones, but that may be
                  from my unfamiliarity more than anything else.

                  David

                  wrote:

                  > I belong to more than one group and have read of some laptop problems
                  > with different aspects of Linux, ie sound, video, etc.
                  >
                  > My wife keeps whining for a laptop. Of course it will have to run XP
                  > but I would like to install Linux on it too. I don't want to buy one
                  > that has problems with Linux.
                  >
                  > Do any of the following have problems with Linux that anyone knows of:
                  > HP
                  > Dell
                  > Acer
                  > Gateway.
                  >
                  > I am not hung up on a particular brand name but it's going to be my
                  > wife's laptop that I will use some of the time. Don't even know if I
                  > can buy any of the above without Vista on them. Probably not. If I
                  > have to buy Vista I delay the purchase until I can find something
                  > different or just delete it and install XP.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your input.

                • Linux Canuck
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Don't let that deter you. Many people run Ubuntu or laptops with no problems. Older laptops are more problematic than new ones. Getting one from a Linux friendly OEM is also a good idea. You are wise to go forward with your eyes open. ASUS, Intel, Dell and Acer are quite Linux friendly. Toshiba and HP are getting into Linux a bit. Ask around and you will get different opinions, but none that should stop you from getting a laptop to run Linux.

                    Roy

                    Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                    Support Open source.
                    <*,)}}+<
                    Only dead fish go with the flow!

                    > My laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) had the drivers in c:\Program
                    > Files\Broadcom\ * The key is, if you're not going to preserve the
                    > Windows installation, *find* those directories/ files and copy them off
                    > to a USB key for later reference. That way, you don't have to guess
                    > with generic *.ini files downloaded from wherever, you will have *.ini
                    > tailored precisely for your machine.
                    >
                    > What I was able to do, with my XP install intact (in hda1) and mounted
                    > to "/media/win_ xp" under Linux, was to reach into the XP partition on
                    > the command line for "ndiswrapper -i" command.
                    >
                    > Don't forget to blacklist any competing drivers, and "modprobe -r"
                    > them, using either "su -c" or "sudo" as appropriate.

                    Thanks, Gary. What you just said makes me not even want to ever get a
                    laptop.;) I am familiar with "ini" files in windows but it seems like
                    what you said would be a lot of trouble. May just keep letting the
                    wife whine.

                  • Zale Dowlen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                      At Scott's recommendation, I'm going to have to recommend that you look at
                      Mandriva too. He was right it picked up this pesky little Atheros card that
                      nothing else has. It also runs on 32 or 64 bit and you don't even have to
                      know what you are running, the same distro runs on either one. So I highly
                      recommend you give that a try.

                      Zale

                      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Harold Williams <hh6199@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Also, which Linux do you plan to run on it?
                      >
                      > It will probably be Kubuntu. I am currently trying out on my desktop
                      > Kubuntu, Mint, and Mepis. They all seem to be working well. I am
                      > partial to Mepis but Kubuntu comes in a close second. Mint 5 is good
                      > but I am waiting to replace the gnome version that I have with the kde
                      > version when it comes out.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Harold

                    • Harold Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                        > What's wrong with Mepis, if you're partial to it?
                        > Some stores will let you boot a live CD on their display model. It
                        > probably varies by salesman, and frankly, I can't blame them for saying
                        > no, when they don't know you or know what might be on the CD.
                        >
                        > (Or, sometimes, you can slip the CD in when they're not looking, I
                        > suppose, but that strikes me as a bit unethical as well as risky.)

                        Thanks, Scott, I hadn't thought of doing that. Of course I wouldn't do
                        it without making it known what I was doing.

                        > Now, one other suggestion might be to take whatever laptop seems good to
                        > you, and start looking on the Ubuntu and Mepis forums for threads about

                        Another good idea. Thanks again.
                      • Gary
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
                          wrote:

                          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@> wrote:
                          > > My laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) had the drivers in c:\Program
                          > > Files\Broadcom\* The key is, if you're not going to preserve the
                          > > Windows installation, *find* those directories/files and copy them off
                          > > to a USB key for later reference. That way, you don't have to guess
                          > > with generic *.ini files downloaded from wherever, you will have *.ini
                          > > tailored precisely for your machine.
                          > >
                          > > What I was able to do, with my XP install intact (in hda1) and mounted
                          > > to "/media/win_xp" under Linux, was to reach into the XP partition on
                          > > the command line for "ndiswrapper -i" command.
                          > >
                          > > Don't forget to blacklist any competing drivers, and "modprobe -r"
                          > > them, using either "su -c" or "sudo" as appropriate.
                          > >
                          > Thanks, Gary. What you just said makes me not even want to ever get
                          > laptop.;) I am familiar with "ini" files in windows but it seems like
                          > what you said would be a lot of trouble. May just keep letting the
                          > wife whine.

                          This was a "worst-case" situation with one of the infamous Broadcom
                          wifi cards. I was frankly GLAD I had the resources of the XP install
                          to draw upon when needed. Yes, it involved typing about five or so
                          lines of arcane command-line incantations, but I have had zero
                          difficulties with my wifi under MEPIS 7.0. As opposed to Fedora 7,
                          whose frequent kernel updates broke the ndiswrapper install about
                          every other month. I was trying to ENCOURAGE you, dammit!
                        • Harold Williams
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2008
                            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:
                            Yes, it involved typing about five or so
                            > lines of arcane command-line incantations, but I have had zero
                            > difficulties with my wifi under MEPIS 7.0. As opposed to Fedora 7,
                            > whose frequent kernel updates broke the ndiswrapper install about
                            > every other month. I was trying to ENCOURAGE you, dammit!

                            Thanks everyone for all the help. Of all the distros I have tried,
                            Mepis 7.0 seems to just keep working no matter how klutsy I am. When
                            I go to get a laptop I plan to see if the Mepis cd will work on it.

                            I don't really like a laptop but they do have their advantages.

                            Thanks again,
                            Harold
                          • Linux Canuck

                              Yes, it involved typing about five or so
                              > lines of arcane command-line incantations, but I have had zero
                              > difficulties with my wifi under MEPIS 7.0. As opposed to Fedora 7,
                              > whose frequent kernel updates broke the ndiswrapper install about
                              > every other month. I was trying to ENCOURAGE you, dammit!

                              Thanks everyone for all the help. Of all the distros I have tried,
                              Mepis 7.0 seems to just keep working no matter how klutsy I am. When
                              I go to get a laptop I plan to see if the Mepis cd will work on it.

                              I don't really like a laptop but they do have their advantages.

                              Thanks again,
                              Harold

                            • Rogy N
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 11, 2008
                                i've a problem with my linux system(i used fedora 8),

                                when i try to play a music with rythmbox,a notice show up..
                                its says "unable to activate plugin magnatune store,plugin jamendo, n plugin cover art"
                                is there anyone who could help me how to fix this problem..?

                                ___