Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Looking for a good distro for my computer...

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2008
      Give MEPIS a try. The only thing it has trouble with so far is
      working with the hi-def audio on some motherboards. Meaning
      sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

      http://www.mepis.org/mirrors

      Ita erat quando hic adveni.-----
      "It was that way when I got here."

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2008
        On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 4:26 PM, unclerichard68 <unclerichard@...> wrote:
        > I suggest you try Mandriva Spring 2008 and either Sus 10.3 or 11.00
        > when it comes out later this month.
        >
        > I have found it useless to try and configure the network card in
        > Linux, none of them seem able to handle the connection correctly. Just
        > run your modem and let the OS find it. Often I have found it better to
        > use a USB connection, I have run several Linux distros on the same
        > machine and found either they connect out of the box so to speak with
        > the internet or need a USB connection.

        Problem is my cable modem comes through a router that is hooked to the
        computer network card.

        And to tell you the truth, if I have to go back to dial-up to use the
        internet I would probably give up the internet. Seven years of cable
        modem and I am just too spoiled.

        I'll check out Mandriva next.

        Thanks!

        -alex
      • Alex Baker
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2008
          Sadly Mepis did not work either. During the boot it dumps me out at a
          text prompt to log-in. If I log-in as root, it accepts it but leaves
          me at that point. If I press Ctrl-Alt-F7 or Ctrl-Alt-F8 as suggested
          to get a graphic log-in screen I get a blank black screen that never
          goes any further.

          -alex

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2008
            At last success!!!!

            Mandriva Spring 2008 booted from the CD, saw the NVIDIA card, sound
            worked, and it saw the network card properly. I am writing from
            Mandriva using Firefox, as I type.

            A no fuss, no muss, boot-up. Next comes the install, which hopefully
            will be as painless.

            At long last a system that just flat works.

            Thank you!

            -alex

            On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 5:26 PM, unclerichard68 <unclerichard@...> wrote:
            > I suggest you try Mandriva Spring 2008 and either Sus 10.3 or 11.00
            > when it comes out later this month.
            >
            > I have found it useless to try and configure the network card in
            > Linux, none of them seem able to handle the connection correctly. Just
            > run your modem and let the OS find it. Often I have found it better to
            > use a USB connection, I have run several Linux distros on the same
            > machine and found either they connect out of the box so to speak with
            > the internet or need a USB connection.
          • unclerichard68
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2008
              Problem is my cable modem comes through a router that is hooked to the
              computer network card.

              How do you mean 'hooked'? You should be able to disconnect it from the
              your computer.

              Most modems have a USB port, so you should be able to connect your
              modem and computer with an USB cable.
            • Bruce Kemp
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2008
                unclerichard68 wrote:
                > Problem is my cable modem comes through a router that is hooked to the
                > computer network card.
                >

                > How do you mean 'hooked'? You should be able to disconnect it from the
                > your computer.
                >
                > Most modems have a USB port, so you should be able to connect your
                > modem and computer with an USB cable.

                The problem with that is that the other computers on the network will
                not be able to access the internet.
                Bruce

                --
                "To reduce the accumulation of static electricity, you must increase the humidity,
                change or get rid of the carpeting, or both. Although a small room-sized humidifier
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2008
                  I have an HP Pavilion computer, but not your model. Most distros will install, but Mandriva won't for some reason or other, but PCLOS which is built on Mandriva will install. Go figure. It is a finicky machine. It seems that HP does some funky things with the BIOS which can lead to kernel panics and other problems. I have found that using boot parameters can aid in getting a distro to work.

                  Each distro is a little different in the exact boot parameter, but you add them on the grub boot menu at the bottom. some typical ones are: apm=poweroff, vga=normal, nomce, acpi=off, pnpbios=off, idc=nodma, xdrvr=vesa, noapic, irqpoll. You just type them into the window at the bottom. Also it is good to boot with the text showing. If you see the word 'quiet' delete it. That will scroll the text and will allow you to see what the computer is having a hard time with.

                  Roy

                  Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                  Support Open source.
                  <*,)}}+<
                  Only dead fish go with the flow!

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 8, 2008
                        I think he means that the computer is connected to the router which is connected to the cable modem. I would try to bypass the router and connect the modem directly to the computer until I could get it to work. Once it is working, I would connect it to the router.

                        If the NIC isn't working then it doesn't really matter. Getting it working is the first step. I have yet to install Linux any machine and not have my ethernet card detected properly and I have installed hundreds of distros on many machines. It is just something that I never have to think about because it is always installed properly which makes me wonder what is happening because it is not normal.

                        I would try several distros and if none install properly then I would replace the card. If it installs in some distros and not others then it is likely the driver and would use a distro that works. If it only works in Windows then I would think that it is a driver issue and would search to find a solution or replace the card with another one that works with Linux. Fortunately NICs aren't expensive.

                        It might be worth trying a usb connection as you suggest, but that will not help if he is using a router.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8, 2008
                          Using the USB, or bypassing the router, is only a temporary
                          troubleshooting solution. The rest of the household is running
                          wireless, so if I take the router out, their sense of humor decreases
                          rapidly.

                          The NIC came with the computer, which is about a month old. The card
                          works, I am using it under Vista as I type. The Spring 2008 32 bit CD
                          rom version of Mandriva installs properly. The card is seen and the
                          IP address is properly acquired and configured. Though on occasion, I
                          have to kill power to the computer after using Vista, to get Mandriva
                          to mate to the card.

                          On the other hand, Mandriva Spring 2008.1 64 bit free DVD, leaves a
                          real mess after installation. It does not seem to see the NVIDIA card
                          and results in a screen that is almost unuseable.

                          Hopefully the day will come when the computer vendors will cooperate
                          more fully with the Linux developers. Waiting until a computer ages,
                          to get a distro that will work right out of the box is a bit off
                          putting. Kinda like buying a new car, and the dealer telling you that
                          if you wait six months the stations will start carrying fuel for it.

                          I realize that a lot of people are doing a huge amount of work for
                          little or no pay; and I do appreciate all the suggestions and
                          assistance being provided here. Just a bit grumpy after spending a
                          lot of hours trying to make a viable alternative to Vista, work.

                          Getting closer though, which is a good thing.

                          Thanks for all your help. Meanwhile I'm off to reinstall the Mandriva
                          CD. (again)

                          -alex

                            On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@ yahoo.ca> wrote:
                            > I think he means that the computer is connected to the router which is
                            > connected to the cable modem. I would try to bypass the router and connect
                            > the modem directly to the computer until I could get it to work. Once it is
                            > working, I would connect it to the router.
                            >
                            > If the NIC isn't working then it doesn't really matter. Getting it working
                            > is the first step. I have yet to install Linux any machine and not have my
                            > ethernet card detected properly and I have installed hundreds of distros on
                            > many machines. It is just something that I never have to think about because
                            > it is always installed properly which makes me wonder what is happening
                            > because it is not normal.
                            >
                            > I would try several distros and if none install properly then I would
                            > replace the card. If it installs in some distros and not others then it is
                            > likely the driver and would use a distro that works. If it only works in
                            > Windows then I would think that it is a driver issue and would search to
                            > find a solution or replace the card with another one that works with Linux.
                            > Fortunately NICs aren't expensive.
                            >
                            > It might be worth trying a usb connection as you suggest, but that will not
                            > help if he is using a router.
                            >
                            > Roy
                            >
                            > Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                            > Support Open source.
                            > <*,)}}+<
                            > Only dead fish go with the flow!

                          • masgandhul
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 12, 2008
                              > And to tell you the truth, if I have to go back to dial-up to use the
                              > internet I would probably give up the internet. Seven years of cable
                              > modem and I am just too spoiled.
                              >
                              > I'll check out Mandriva next.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > -alex

                              try debian 4r5. it's better than ubuntu 8.10