Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: resize partition?

  • Joel Hansen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30 2:52 PM
      yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        hI jOEL
        Use parition magic
        regard;william

        Joel Hansen <stfallapart@...> wrote: I have a dual boot PC and I am running Windows XP and Linux Suse 10.1. Unfortunately I made my windows partition too small and I am now running out of room. Is there any way to shrink the size of my Linux partition giving windows more space on my hard drive?

      • unclerichard68
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@...> wrote:

          > yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.

          Logical Volumes are a pain to resize, it can be done nad depends on
          the type and you need some expertise on the command line.

          Unfortunately, I think your best option is to delete the SUSE LV,
          increase the size of Windows, then re-install SUSE. You will need to
          make a backup of all your important files.

          I noticed you are using a relatively dated version of SUSE. I recently
          tried 10.3 and thought it almost as good as Ubuntu. (Don't try 10.2,
          it's a lemon.) The new version of SUSE is due in about a week (SUSE
          11), so you may like to wait until then.

          I am not sure whcih Linux distros install of LV but SUSE is
          definately one. If you don't want a repeat of this hassle you make
          like to try Ubunutu, currently my main Linux distro, or perhaps
          Mandriva 2008 Spring. I recently tried Fedora 9 ( and again it is
          almost as tgood as Ubunut 8.04.

          As an after thought, check that SUSE doesn't include the option to
          rezise the LV in its own partition editor, if so it will have the
          right tools. Just a thought.
        • Gary
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "unclerichard68"
            <unclerichard@...> wrote:

            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@> wrote:
            > >
            > > yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.
            >
            > Logical Volumes are a pain to resize, it can be done nad depends on
            > the type and you need some expertise on the command line.
            >
            > Unfortunately, I think your best option is to delete the SUSE LV,
            > increase the size of Windows, then re-install SUSE. You will need to
            > make a backup of all your important files.
            >
            > I noticed you are using a relatively dated version of SUSE. I recently
            > tried 10.3 and thought it almost as good as Ubuntu. (Don't try 10.2,
            > it's a lemon.) The new version of SUSE is due in about a week (SUSE
            > 11), so you may like to wait until then.
            >
            > I am not sure whcih Linux distros install of LV but SUSE is
            > definately one. If you don't want a repeat of this hassle you make
            > like to try Ubunutu, currently my main Linux distro, or perhaps
            > Mandriva 2008 Spring. I recently tried Fedora 9 ( and again it is
            > almost as tgood as Ubunut 8.04.
            >
            > As an after thought, check that SUSE doesn't include the option to
            > rezise the LV in its own partition editor, if so it will have the
            > right tools. Just a thought.

            I recently had a similar problem, going the other way -- shrinking the
            Windows XP partition (/dev/sda1) was easy enough, and XP adapted
            automatically, but I couldn't seem to shift the resulting Unallocated
            block over to the Extended partition block (/dev/sda5, /dev/sda6,
            /dev/sda7 -- my root, swap, and /home partitions), nor shift the
            Extended Partition itself to put the unallocated portion *above* it
            rather than below it. The fastest way to get the laptop back in full
            operation was to back up /home, delete the Linux partitions, and
            reinstall. This is with SImplyMEPIS 7.0, which IIRC does not use LVM,
            or at least gives one the option to use it or not.

            If you liked openSuSE, you'll probably like SimplyMEPIS, I'd encourage
            you to try it.

            I don't like the huge K menu style used by certain (more recent)
            distros like SuSE or (Gentoo-derived) Sabayon. I'll admit that if,
            back in my distro-hopping phase, I'd been able to readily find the
            setting to switch the menu style back to "KDE3.5" I might have kept
            the trial install of SuSE 10 (I don't recall if it was .2 or .3) on my
            primary desktop, instead going with my current choice, PCLOS2007.