Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: resize partition?

Expand Messages
  • unclerichard68
    ... error that says error, logical partition cannot exist outside of logical or something similar At what stage does this error message occur? I presume when
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2008
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@...> wrote:
      >
      > i may be doing something wrong, but when I try this I am getting an
      error that says "error, logical partition cannot exist outside of
      logical" or something similar

      At what stage does this error message occur? I presume when trying to
      decrease the size of the Suse partition or when trying to increase the
      size of your Windows partition.
    • Joel Hansen
      yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition. ... From: unclerichard68 <unclerichard@xtra.co.nz> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re:
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2008
        yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.

        --- On Fri, 5/30/08, unclerichard68 <unclerichard@...> wrote:
        From: unclerichard68 <unclerichard@...>
        Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: resize partition?
        To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, May 30, 2008, 6:39 PM











        --- In LINUX_Newbies@ yahoogroups. com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@ ...> wrote:

        >

        > i may be doing something wrong, but when I try this I am getting an

        error that says "error, logical partition cannot exist outside of

        logical" or something similar



        At what stage does this error message occur? I presume when trying to

        decrease the size of the Suse partition or when trying to increase the

        size of your Windows partition.





























        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • tan WILLIAM
        hI jOEL Use parition magic regard;william Joel Hansen wrote: I have a dual boot PC and I am running Windows
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 7:03 PM
          hI jOEL
          Use parition magic
          regard;william

          Joel Hansen <stfallapart@...> wrote: I have a dual boot PC and I am running Windows XP and Linux Suse 10.1. Unfortunately I made my windows partition too small and I am now running out of room. Is there any way to shrink the size of my Linux partition giving windows more space on my hard drive? 

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






          ---------------------------------

          Search. browse and book your hotels and flights through Yahoo! Travel


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • unclerichard68
          ... Logical Volumes are a pain to resize, it can be done nad depends on the type and you need some expertise on the command line. Unfortunately, I think your
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1 9:15 PM
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@...> wrote:
            >
            > yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.

            Logical Volumes are a pain to resize, it can be done nad depends on
            the type and you need some expertise on the command line.

            Unfortunately, I think your best option is to delete the SUSE LV,
            increase the size of Windows, then re-install SUSE. You will need to
            make a backup of all your important files.

            I noticed you are using a relatively dated version of SUSE. I recently
            tried 10.3 and thought it almost as good as Ubuntu. (Don't try 10.2,
            it's a lemon.) The new version of SUSE is due in about a week (SUSE
            11), so you may like to wait until then.

            I am not sure whcih Linux distros install of LV but SUSE is
            definately one. If you don't want a repeat of this hassle you make
            like to try Ubunutu, currently my main Linux distro, or perhaps
            Mandriva 2008 Spring. I recently tried Fedora 9 ( and again it is
            almost as tgood as Ubunut 8.04.

            As an after thought, check that SUSE doesn't include the option to
            rezise the LV in its own partition editor, if so it will have the
            right tools. Just a thought.
          • Gary
            ... I recently had a similar problem, going the other way -- shrinking the Windows XP partition (/dev/sda1) was easy enough, and XP adapted automatically, but
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1 11:44 PM
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "unclerichard68"
              <unclerichard@...> wrote:
              >
              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joel Hansen <stfallapart@> wrote:
              > >
              > > yeah, it is occurring when i am trying to shrink the Linux Partition.
              >
              > Logical Volumes are a pain to resize, it can be done nad depends on
              > the type and you need some expertise on the command line.
              >
              > Unfortunately, I think your best option is to delete the SUSE LV,
              > increase the size of Windows, then re-install SUSE. You will need to
              > make a backup of all your important files.
              >
              > I noticed you are using a relatively dated version of SUSE. I recently
              > tried 10.3 and thought it almost as good as Ubuntu. (Don't try 10.2,
              > it's a lemon.) The new version of SUSE is due in about a week (SUSE
              > 11), so you may like to wait until then.
              >
              > I am not sure whcih Linux distros install of LV but SUSE is
              > definately one. If you don't want a repeat of this hassle you make
              > like to try Ubunutu, currently my main Linux distro, or perhaps
              > Mandriva 2008 Spring. I recently tried Fedora 9 ( and again it is
              > almost as tgood as Ubunut 8.04.
              >
              > As an after thought, check that SUSE doesn't include the option to
              > rezise the LV in its own partition editor, if so it will have the
              > right tools. Just a thought.
              >
              I recently had a similar problem, going the other way -- shrinking the
              Windows XP partition (/dev/sda1) was easy enough, and XP adapted
              automatically, but I couldn't seem to shift the resulting Unallocated
              block over to the Extended partition block (/dev/sda5, /dev/sda6,
              /dev/sda7 -- my root, swap, and /home partitions), nor shift the
              Extended Partition itself to put the unallocated portion *above* it
              rather than below it. The fastest way to get the laptop back in full
              operation was to back up /home, delete the Linux partitions, and
              reinstall. This is with SImplyMEPIS 7.0, which IIRC does not use LVM,
              or at least gives one the option to use it or not.

              If you liked openSuSE, you'll probably like SimplyMEPIS, I'd encourage
              you to try it.

              I don't like the huge K menu style used by certain (more recent)
              distros like SuSE or (Gentoo-derived) Sabayon. I'll admit that if,
              back in my distro-hopping phase, I'd been able to readily find the
              setting to switch the menu style back to "KDE3.5" I might have kept
              the trial install of SuSE 10 (I don't recall if it was .2 or .3) on my
              primary desktop, instead going with my current choice, PCLOS2007.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.