Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Dual installs

  • Norm Higgs
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      > Richard wrote:
      >
      >> Have linux install on drive one,
      >> but I would like to install my Windows XP restore disk,
      >> on drive two.
      >>
      >> Everytime, I got to install windows, it grabs the first drive,
      >> and wipes out Linux., is there a way around this,
      >> or do I have to purchase, a full retail copy of Vista,
      >> to install on what hard drive I want,.?
      >>
      >> Thanks-
      >> Richard
      >>

      > Install Win XP first - You can install it to the second drive, then
      > install linux on the first drive.

      My bad - I missed the fact that you were using a RESTORE disk, which
      likely does not allow you to choose where it installs to. yor pretty
      much stuck with XP one the first drive, I think.

      --
      Norm Higgs
      http://forbiddenpc.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008

        > My bad - I missed the fact that you were using a RESTORE disk, which
        > likely does not allow you to choose where it installs to. yor pretty
        > much stuck with XP one the first drive, I think.

        That said, there's no real reason that you can't install Linux on the
        second drive. Unlike windows, it won't care. :)
        The only "gotcha" IIRC is that you need to make sure that the lilo or
        grub loader is installed to the first drive, or you won't get the
        "choice" at startup.

        I have two harddrives in this laptop I'm using, and though I could have
        gone:
        Drive 1: Windows
        Drive 2: Linux

        I opted for:

        Drive 1: Windows ( First Partition, so it doesn't have a Diva fit)
        Drive 1: Linux

        Drive 2: Windows Data
        Drive 2: Linux data ( i.e. home dirs)

        Then I imaged drive 1, so if it fails, I can just replace the drive and
        image it back, and I don't lose my data.
        The second drive is subject to my somewhat obsessive backup routine.
      • Gary
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Richard <cms0009@...> wrote:

          > Have linux install on drive one,
          > but I would like to install my Windows XP restore disk,
          > on drive two.
          >
          > Everytime, I got to install windows, it grabs the first drive,
          > and wipes out Linux., is there a way around this,
          > or do I have to purchase, a full retail copy of Vista,
          > to install on what hard drive I want,.?
          >
          > Thanks-
          > Richard

          My advice is similar to some you've already gotten: change the jumpers
          on your hard drives so that the (intended) XP drive is first and the
          linux drive is second. Windows will he happy, Linux doesn't care.
          Current Linuxes will cheerfully run from anywhere, even EXTENDED
          partitions. Because of this well-known Windoze install behavior, it's
          usually better, as noted elsewhere, to do the M$ install first, then
          the Linux one.

          One thing you *would* have to do with your existing Linux-first setup,
          after installing XP, would be to reinstall the bootloader (I'm
          assuming GRUB, some Linuxes use LILO) onto the Main Boot Record (MBR)
          of the XP drive, because the MBR of the now-secondary Linux drive
          would never be accessed.

          To accomplish this, you would need to boot from your Linux LiveCD and
          use the available tools from there, as your Linux HD install would be
          temporarily unavailable -- untouched and unharmed, just unavailable
          and unbootable :). If your Linux distro doesn't have a "fix
          bootloader" option anywhere obvious (as PCLinuxOS and SimplyMEPIS
          *do*) you might have reinstall Linux from scratch as well; if that's
          something you'd rather not do, check back here. Thank goodness you
          can use LiveCD to boot into Linux and back everything up first...
        • Norm Higgs
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
            Gary wrote:
            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Richard <cms0009@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Have linux install on drive one,
            >> but I would like to install my Windows XP restore disk,
            >> on drive two.
            >>
            >> Everytime, I got to install windows, it grabs the first drive,
            >> and wipes out Linux., is there a way around this,
            >> or do I have to purchase, a full retail copy of Vista,
            >> to install on what hard drive I want,.?
            >>
            >> Thanks-
            >> Richard
            >>

            > My advice is similar to some you've already gotten: change the jumpers
            > on your hard drives so that the (intended) XP drive is first and the
            > linux drive is second. Windows will he happy, Linux doesn't care.
            > Current Linuxes will cheerfully run from anywhere, even EXTENDED
            > partitions. Because of this well-known Windoze install behavior, it's
            > usually better, as noted elsewhere, to do the M$ install first, then
            > the Linux one.

            Actually, this is not so much 'Windows' behavior as it is 'OEM Restore'
            disk behavior. I've never had a problem setting up Windows XP on
            whatever partition or drive I chose *using Windows Setup* from a genuine
            Windows Installation CD. Windows 98 was a different story - it could
            only be installed to the primary partition of drive C.

            When I had a multi-boot setup, I had 98 on the primary partition of
            drive C, the extended partition was a common FAT32 partition, then the
            first partition of drive D held Windows XP Pro, and the extended
            partition of drive D held Fedora Core 3.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
              Norm Higgs wrote:

              > Actually, this is not so much 'Windows' behavior as it is 'OEM Restore'
              > disk behavior. I've never had a problem setting up Windows XP on
              > whatever partition or drive I chose *using Windows Setup* from a genuine
              > Windows Installation CD. Windows 98 was a different story - it could
              > only be installed to the primary partition of drive C.
              >
              > ._,_._,
              True that, -but- A WinXP or Vista, or Win98 iirc, would all overwrite
              the MBR, rendering your linux install useless til you do a "rescue" with
              a live CD or similar .

              Why not save that step by installing Windows first, then Linux? Rather
              than Linux, Windows, then rescue Linux?

              Maybe I'm just lazy. ;)
              > __
            • Norm Higgs
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                Storm wrote:
                > Norm Higgs wrote:
                >
                >> Actually, this is not so much 'Windows' behavior as it is 'OEM Restore'
                >> disk behavior. I've never had a problem setting up Windows XP on
                >> whatever partition or drive I chose *using Windows Setup* from a genuine
                >> Windows Installation CD. Windows 98 was a different story - it could
                >> only be installed to the primary partition of drive C.
                >>
                >> ._,_._,
                >>
                > True that, -but- A WinXP or Vista, or Win98 iirc, would all overwrite
                > the MBR, rendering your linux install useless til you do a "rescue" with
                > a live CD or similar.

                Yes, Windows is rather heavy handed in that respect - it overwrites the
                entire thing, whereas Linux is a little more discreet and just add its
                boot loader ahead of the Windows boot loader (if its there).

                > Why not save that step by installing Windows first, then Linux? Rather
                > than Linux, Windows, then rescue Linux?

                Yes, that is the generally accepted procedure - Oldest windows OS first,
                then newer ones, then Linux last.