Query about alternate command?

  • Mohammad Shahid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
      Greetings,

      Can any one tell me an alternate command in linux environment for "net view" DOS command?

      Thanks and regards,
      Shahid

    • Cameron Simpson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
        On 04Jan2008 18:26, Mohammad Shahid <jamal_linux@...> wrote:
        | Can any one tell me an alternate command in linux environment for
        | "net view" DOS command?

        It depends what "net view" does. Please describe it.
        Meanwhile, useful commands to consider include "netstat", "ifconfig" and
        "tcpdump".
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
        http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
          Cameron Simpson wrote:

          > On 04Jan2008 18:26, Mohammad Shahid <jamal_linux@...> wrote:
          > | Can any one tell me an alternate command in linux environment for
          > | "net view" DOS command?

          > It depends what "net view" does. Please describe it.
          > Meanwhile, useful commands to consider include "netstat", "ifconfig" and
          > "tcpdump".

          and maybe "smbclient"

          NET VIEW
          [\\computername [/CACHE] | /DOMAIN[:domainname]]
          NET VIEW /NETWORK:NW [\\computername]

          NET VIEW displays a list of resources being shared on a computer. When used
          without options, it displays a list of computers in the current domain or
          network.

          \\computername Is a computer whose shared resources you want
          to view.
          /DOMAIN:domainname Specifies the domain for which you want to
          view the available computers. If domainname is
          omitted, displays all domains in the local area
          network.
          /NETWORK:NW Displays all available servers on a NetWare
          network. If a computername is specified, the
          resources available on that computer in
          the NetWare network will be displayed.
          /CACHE Displays the offline client caching settings for
          the resources on the specified computer

          :-)

          --
          -jdr-
        • Cameron Simpson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
            On 06Jan2008 07:11, Jim Reimer <jdr@...> wrote:
            | Cameron Simpson wrote:
            | > On 04Jan2008 18:26, Mohammad Shahid <jamal_linux@...> wrote:
            | > | Can any one tell me an alternate command in linux environment for
            | > | "net view" DOS command?
            |
            | > It depends what "net view" does. Please describe it.
            | > Meanwhile, useful commands to consider include "netstat", "ifconfig" and
            | > "tcpdump".
            |
            | and maybe "smbclient"
            |
            | NET VIEW
            | [\\computername [/CACHE] | /DOMAIN[:domainname]]
            | NET VIEW /NETWORK:NW [\\computername]
            |
            | NET VIEW displays a list of resources being shared on a computer. When used
            | without options, it displays a list of computers in the current domain or
            | network.
            [...]

            You are correct!

            And it turns out that Samba (which supplies the smbclient command) also
            supplies a "net" command with many options. Have a read of "man net" and
            see if it does what you need.

            Cheers,
            --
            Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
            http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

            The Horn of Vengeance: When he pushes the horn button, the device produces
            the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard, amplified beyond pain
            threshold. If that doesn't work, the horn then plays the Pina Colada song.