Re: [LINUX_Newbies] emacs editor

  • mahesh w
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
      Hi

      you can create a file using any editor having
      extention .sh Then make it executable and run it.
      e.g.
      create a file hello.sh
      write : echo "hello world"
      save the file.
      change its permission to make it executable
      To change the permission, on command prompt you can
      write:
      chmod +x path/hello.sh
      then run it as ./hello.sh

      Rgds,
      Mahesh

      --- "jennifer.jcarr" <jennifer.jcarr@...> wrote:

      > I am very new to linux. I was trying to write the
      > little Hello World
      > script just to play with the script. I was unable
      > to figure out how to
      > make this work. Can some one show my set by step
      > how to save and run
      > this script?
      > Thanks
      > Jennifer

      5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
    • Trevor Pearson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
        jennifer.jcarr wrote:

        > I am very new to linux. I was trying to write the little Hello World
        > script just to play with the script. I was unable to figure out how to
        > make this work. Can some one show my set by step how to save and run
        > this script?
        > Thanks
        > Jennifer

        Jennifer,
        I wonder if you are having trouble using emacs ?

        type emacs in a terminal window to open the program
        use Ctrl-C followed by Ctrl-f and type in the name of the
        file you want to edit, The file will open for editing
        Ctrl-X followed by Ctrl-S will save the file and Ctrl-X Ctrl-C will exit
        the editor

        Trevor