Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu

  • Jonathan Cunningham
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 31, 2007
      Sometimes you have to enable the drive to boot from it. Most times you
      highlight it and press space. If you look at the bottom or right side of the
      screen you should see which keys do what. Also, you might have a bad CD or a
      bad CD drive. But make sure that you have it set to boot correctly first.

      On 10/30/07, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
      > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
      > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
      > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
      > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
      > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
      > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
      > Linux.
      > Thanks for any help.
      > Dennis

    • Brian E Boothe
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2007
        make sure the CD_rom drive is at the top of the List, u can move them
        around with the page up / page down keys as u highlight them in your bios:
        that should do the trick

      • arske4i
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
          I tried to enable it, but it wouldn't. I've put the CD Rom at the top
          and even went to a friends house who is using Ubuntu, but he couldn't
          get it to boot from CD Rom either.
          Thanks anyway,

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Cunningham"
          <3timestrouble@...> wrote:

          > Sometimes you have to enable the drive to boot from it. Most times
          you
          > highlight it and press space. If you look at the bottom or right
          side of the
          > screen you should see which keys do what. Also, you might have a
          bad CD or a
          > bad CD drive. But make sure that you have it set to boot correctly
          first.

          > On 10/30/07, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from
          the CD
          > > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
          > > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list,
          but I
          > > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other
          drive,
          > > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
          > > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
          > > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become
          familiar with
          > > Linux.
          > > Thanks for any help.
          > > Dennis

        • arske4i
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 9, 2007
            I have a HP Pavilion 533w that I can't boot from the CD ROM. Is there
            another way to install Ubuntu? Any suggestions?
            Thanks
          • Zale Dowlen
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 9, 2007
              1. Are you postive fhe CD ROM is working?
              2. Are you burning the CD as an ISO image?
              3. I recommend you try PCLinuxOS, once you figure out the boot problem.

              On Oct 30, 2007 4:44 PM, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

              > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
              > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
              > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
              > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
              > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
              > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
              > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
              > Linux.
              > Thanks for any help.
              > Dennis

            • Dennis Ledford
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 9, 2007
                Yes the CD ROM is working. I can use the CD to load up the sample version to use on Windows. I did burn it the way I was informed by copying the image to a CD. Also, I tried the DVD with The Official Ubuntu Book. It didn't work either. I don't know what else to do. I would like a dual boot system.
                What is PCLinux?
                Thanks,
                1. Are you postive fhe CD ROM is working?
                2. Are you burning the CD as an ISO image?
                3. I recommend you try PCLinuxOS, once you figure out the boot problem.

                On Oct 30, 2007 4:44 PM, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

                > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
                > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
                > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
                > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
                > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
                > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
                > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
                > Linux.
                > Thanks for any help.
                > Dennis

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 10, 2007
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "arske4i" <ke4i@...> wrote:

                  > I tried to enable it, but it wouldn't. I've put the CD Rom at the top
                  > and even went to a friends house who is using Ubuntu, but he couldn't
                  > get it to boot from CD Rom either.
                  > Thanks anyway,

                  If the CD doesn't work on another machine, then I would definitely
                  suspect the CD. Try burning a new one, and select the option to
                  VERIFY the CD.

                  It could also just be Ubuntu. I cannot for the life of me get known
                  good Ubuntu-family LiveCD's to even boot up on certain machines,
                  particularily older Dell Optiplexes and my homebuilt Syntax mobo-based
                  secondary desktop. By "family" I mean Ubuntu itself, Kubuntu,
                  Xubuntu, and derivatives like Geubuntu and Linux Mint.

                  Like I said before, try a different Linux. I wasn't being as specific
                  as a certain other person, but I'd agree that PCLinuxOS would be one
                  to try. ;)
                • unclerichard68
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 11, 2007
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "arske4i" <ke4i@...> wrote:

                    > I have a HP Pavilion 533w that I can't boot from the CD ROM. Is there
                    > another way to install Ubuntu? Any suggestions?
                    > Thanks

                    It could be that your BIOS doesn't have booting from CDROM enabled.
                    This can be changed by entering the BIOS, or it maybe that you have
                    missed a boot command 'press any key to boot from CD'.

                    I suggest you try to boot again from the CD and watch Carefully as you
                    computer boots. Fist you should see the splash screen for your BIOS
                    followed by a row of columns. Now, right after these foloumns should
                    be a few lines of text one of which might be 'pree any key to boot
                    from CD'. At this point press any key and it should be boot.

                    If this doesn't work you will have to go into the BIOS anf change you
                    boot options. This is a little tricky so try the above first and get
                    back to the forum if it doesn't work.
                  • Denton K. Larson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 7 12:27 PM
                      Hi everyone

                      I put on Ubuntu rather than Debian and was wondering if I can get the
                      screen size bigger than 800X600. I was hoping for 1024X768. It is on a
                      rather old machine just some expermint I use windows xp.

                      Denton Larson
                    • Zale Dowlen
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 9 6:53 PM
                        It can be done, but you may need a new video card. I'm running 1280x1024 on
                        dual screens.

                        --
                        N. Zale Dowlen, JD, MBA
                        White House, Tennessee

                        www.LawOfficeLinux.com

                        On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Denton K. Larson
                        <radioguy@...>wrote:

                        > Hi everyone
                        >
                        > I put on Ubuntu rather than Debian and was wondering if I can get the
                        > screen size bigger than 800X600. I was hoping for 1024X768. It is on a
                        > rather old machine just some expermint I use windows xp.
                        >
                        > Denton Larson

                      • Denton K. Larson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 10 7:27 AM
                          I have it magically it came, first it had 640X480, and 800X600
                          Now it has more how? I don't know.

                          Thanks anyway

                          Denton
                        • Zale Dowlen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 11 6:40 AM
                            Guessing, I would say that you ran an update from the repository that fixed
                            it.

                            On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Denton K. Larson
                            <radioguy@...>wrote:

                            > I have it magically it came, first it had 640X480, and 800X600
                            > Now it has more how? I don't know.
                            >
                            > Thanks anyway
                            >
                            > Denton

                          • Gene Henley
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 13, 2014

                                I put Ubuntu on two Dells. One of them developed a screen shift to the lefy.about two inches.
                                I suspect a Video driver problem. It isnot present in Windows XP. So far the other Dell is OK.
                                I want to troubleshoot,but need a starting point.
                                                                           Gene Henley
                            • Justin Bell
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 13, 2014
                                I ran into some strange video problems with a couple of older dell computers.  The problems, for me, appeared to be that the default screen resolution was too high for the old equipment.

                                I would start by dropping the screen resolution and see if the problem goes away.

                                If the problem goes, away.  then you know you are exceeding the limits of the old hardware.  Then try swapping the monitor.  It  may not be the most likely cause  of the problem  but it usually the easiest to swap.

                                Also note----when the problem occurs.  If the power up screen is normal, but the booted up screen is not, the problem is coming from something added by the operating system.

                                Hope this helps

                                Justin

                                On Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:55 PM, Gene Henley <mhenley2@...> wrote:

                                  I put Ubuntu on two Dells. One of them developed a screen shift to the lefy.about two inches.
                                  I suspect a Video driver problem. It isnot present in Windows XP. So far the other Dell is OK.
                                  I want to troubleshoot,but need a starting point.
                                                                             Gene Henley

                              • Joan Leach
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 13, 2014
                                  Did you check to see if a driver was available, if it's ati or nvida? I use the Hiren's Boot CD to see what is on the motherboard, etc. However, there are Linux tools that give the same info, but can help you better there...

                                  Joan in Reno

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 9
                                    I had a previous post about a web server and Linux. I decided to learn
                                    about installing Linux and creating a web server using my 2004 vintage
                                    Pentium 4 desktop. Once I understand everything and get it to work, if I
                                    then think I need a new computer, then I can get it.

                                    I could not use ver 16 of Ubuntu because it is 800M in size and my blank
                                    cd disk can only handle up to 700M. The desktop does not have a dvd
                                    drive, only a cd drive. So, I downloaded ver 14 which is less than 600M.
                                    I tried installing it last night and it got hung up on the first page,
                                    the language page. The Enter key does not work, the arrow keys do not
                                    work, and the mouse is not active. I left it this way overnight and it
                                    still was hung up and so Ubuntu was not in the process of doing
                                    something. It is just hung up for some other reason. The hard drive is
                                    30G and has Windows XP on it. All the programs on it use up almost all
                                    this space. Does Ubuntu require a reformatted drive to install to? I
                                    thought it would reformat the disc itself.
                                    Stan
                                  • T. Hunt
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 9
                                      It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
                                      screen, you didn't get that far yet.

                                      Tom

                                      On 3/9/2017 11:34 AM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                      [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

                                      > I had a previous post about a web server and Linux. I decided to learn
                                      > about installing Linux and creating a web server using my 2004 vintage
                                      > Pentium 4 desktop. Once I understand everything and get it to work, if I
                                      > then think I need a new computer, then I can get it.
                                      >
                                      > I could not use ver 16 of Ubuntu because it is 800M in size and my blank
                                      > cd disk can only handle up to 700M. The desktop does not have a dvd
                                      > drive, only a cd drive. So, I downloaded ver 14 which is less than 600M.
                                      > I tried installing it last night and it got hung up on the first page,
                                      > the language page. The Enter key does not work, the arrow keys do not
                                      > work, and the mouse is not active. I left it this way overnight and it
                                      > still was hung up and so Ubuntu was not in the process of doing
                                      > something. It is just hung up for some other reason. The hard drive is
                                      > 30G and has Windows XP on it. All the programs on it use up almost all
                                      > this space. Does Ubuntu require a reformatted drive to install to? I
                                      > thought it would reformat the disc itself.
                                      > Stan

                                    • Stan Gorodenski
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 9
                                        Okay. I'll try burning it to a cd on my 2004 vintage machine. Maybe that
                                        is the problem. I had used the new tower case desk top, less than 2 year
                                        old, to burn it since I downloaded Ubuntu with it, but it has a DVD
                                        drive. It was my understanding it is supposed to function both as a CD
                                        and DVD burner, but maybe it does not work quite like it should for CD's.
                                        Stan

                                        On 3/9/2017 12:05 PM, 'T. Hunt' roversouth@... [LINUX_Newbies]
                                        wrote:

                                        > It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
                                        > screen, you didn't get that far yet.
                                        >
                                        > Tom
                                        >
                                        > On 3/9/2017 11:34 AM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                        > [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > I had a previous post about a web server and Linux. I decided to learn
                                        > > about installing Linux and creating a web server using my 2004 vintage
                                        > > Pentium 4 desktop. Once I understand everything and get it to work, if I
                                        > > then think I need a new computer, then I can get it.
                                        > >
                                        > > I could not use ver 16 of Ubuntu because it is 800M in size and my blank
                                        > > cd disk can only handle up to 700M. The desktop does not have a dvd
                                        > > drive, only a cd drive. So, I downloaded ver 14 which is less than 600M.
                                        > > I tried installing it last night and it got hung up on the first page,
                                        > > the language page. The Enter key does not work, the arrow keys do not
                                        > > work, and the mouse is not active. I left it this way overnight and it
                                        > > still was hung up and so Ubuntu was not in the process of doing
                                        > > something. It is just hung up for some other reason. The hard drive is
                                        > > 30G and has Windows XP on it. All the programs on it use up almost all
                                        > > this space. Does Ubuntu require a reformatted drive to install to? I
                                        > > thought it would reformat the disc itself.
                                        > > Stan

                                      • Stan Gorodenski
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 9
                                          I burned the setup file to a cd on the 2004 vintage machine. The setup
                                          started working, but now I do not know why. I tried to keep track of
                                          which disc was which (the 2004 vintage burned disk or the other one) but
                                          I may have got them mixed up because it is working on the original
                                          burned disc, if I didn't mix them up. This wouldn't make sense because I
                                          have tried numerous times to install it on this disc. I could go back
                                          and put in the other one to see if it also works, but why bother. It is
                                          working now. I had to terminate the install because it is going to
                                          detect the IP address, but I do not have the static IP yet. I will be
                                          getting that next Tuesday.
                                          Stan

                                          On 3/9/2017 12:33 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                          [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                          > Okay. I'll try burning it to a cd on my 2004 vintage machine. Maybe that
                                          > is the problem. I had used the new tower case desk top, less than 2 year
                                          > old, to burn it since I downloaded Ubuntu with it, but it has a DVD
                                          > drive. It was my understanding it is supposed to function both as a CD
                                          > and DVD burner, but maybe it does not work quite like it should for CD's.
                                          > Stan
                                          >

                                          > On 3/9/2017 12:05 PM, 'T. Hunt' roversouth@... [LINUX_Newbies]
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
                                          >> screen, you didn't get that far yet.
                                          >>
                                          >> Tom
                                          >>
                                          >> On 3/9/2017 11:34 AM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                          >> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >>> I had a previous post about a web server and Linux. I decided to learn
                                          >>> about installing Linux and creating a web server using my 2004 vintage
                                          >>> Pentium 4 desktop. Once I understand everything and get it to work, if I
                                          >>> then think I need a new computer, then I can get it.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> I could not use ver 16 of Ubuntu because it is 800M in size and my blank
                                          >>> cd disk can only handle up to 700M. The desktop does not have a dvd
                                          >>> drive, only a cd drive. So, I downloaded ver 14 which is less than 600M.
                                          >>> I tried installing it last night and it got hung up on the first page,
                                          >>> the language page. The Enter key does not work, the arrow keys do not
                                          >>> work, and the mouse is not active. I left it this way overnight and it
                                          >>> still was hung up and so Ubuntu was not in the process of doing
                                          >>> something. It is just hung up for some other reason. The hard drive is
                                          >>> 30G and has Windows XP on it. All the programs on it use up almost all
                                          >>> this space. Does Ubuntu require a reformatted drive to install to? I
                                          >>> thought it would reformat the disc itself.
                                          >>> Stan

                                        • T. Hunt
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 9
                                            Your static IP is from your ISP and it's on the outward facing side of
                                            the router/gateway/modem. Getting the IP during setup is for your
                                            internal network in your home. Go ahead and do that so you can
                                            communicate with your router/gateway/modem.

                                            Tom

                                            On 3/9/2017 4:30 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                            [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

                                            > I burned the setup file to a cd on the 2004 vintage machine. The setup
                                            > started working, but now I do not know why. I tried to keep track of
                                            > which disc was which (the 2004 vintage burned disk or the other one) but
                                            > I may have got them mixed up because it is working on the original
                                            > burned disc, if I didn't mix them up. This wouldn't make sense because I
                                            > have tried numerous times to install it on this disc. I could go back
                                            > and put in the other one to see if it also works, but why bother. It is
                                            > working now. I had to terminate the install because it is going to
                                            > detect the IP address, but I do not have the static IP yet. I will be
                                            > getting that next Tuesday.
                                            > Stan
                                            >
                                            > On 3/9/2017 12:33 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                            > [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                            >> Okay. I'll try burning it to a cd on my 2004 vintage machine. Maybe that
                                            >> is the problem. I had used the new tower case desk top, less than 2 year
                                            >> old, to burn it since I downloaded Ubuntu with it, but it has a DVD
                                            >> drive. It was my understanding it is supposed to function both as a CD
                                            >> and DVD burner, but maybe it does not work quite like it should for CD's.
                                            >> Stan
                                            >>

                                            >> On 3/9/2017 12:05 PM, 'T. Hunt' roversouth@... [LINUX_Newbies]
                                            >> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >>> It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
                                            >>> screen, you didn't get that far yet.
                                            >>>
                                            >>> Tom

                                          • desco1kr
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 9
                                              One good reason is that you likely could need a valid install CD for repairs.

                                              Powered by Cricket Wireless
                                              On Mar 9, 2017 4:30 PM, "Stan Gorodenski stanlep@... [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              > I burned the setup file to a cd on the 2004 vintage machine. The setup
                                              > started working, but now I do not know why. I tried to keep track of
                                              > which disc was which (the 2004 vintage burned disk or the other one) but
                                              > I may have got them mixed up because it is working on the original
                                              > burned disc, if I didn't mix them up. This wouldn't make sense because I
                                              > have tried numerous times to install it on this disc. I could go back
                                              > and put in the other one to see if it also works, but why bother. It is
                                              > working now. I had to terminate the install because it is going to
                                              > detect the IP address, but I do not have the static IP yet. I will be
                                              > getting that next Tuesday.
                                              > Stan
                                              >
                                              > On 3/9/2017 12:33 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@...
                                              > [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                              > > Okay. I'll try burning it to a cd on my 2004 vintage machine. Maybe that
                                              > > is the problem. I had used the new tower case desk top, less than 2 year
                                              > > old, to burn it since I downloaded Ubuntu with it, but it has a DVD
                                              > > drive. It was my understanding it is supposed to function both as a CD
                                              > > and DVD burner, but maybe it does not work quite like it should for CD's.
                                              > > Stan
                                              > >

                                              > > On 3/9/2017 12:05 PM, 'T. Hunt' roversouth@... [LINUX_Newbies]
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > >> It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
                                              > >> screen, you didn't get that far yet.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Tom

                                              > Yahoo Groups Links

                                            • Stan Gorodenski
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 9
                                                In this situation where I live I have to pay to get a static IP. There
                                                is nothing on the router. I paid yesterday and wasn't sure if they had
                                                given me one yet. I got the idea of checking what my IP address is on
                                                the internet. It did not change when I rebooted the computer and so I
                                                assume I do now have a static IP. I proceeded to install Ubuntu, but had
                                                some problems.
                                                Stan

                                              • Stan Gorodenski
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 9
                                                  I installed Ubuntu but I cannot boot the hard drive. It appeared to
                                                  install successfully without any error, but when I removed the
                                                  installation disk so it can self boot, I got the error message: "Disk
                                                  Error Press any Key to Restart". I tried turning off the machine a
                                                  number of times and tried reinstalling a number of times. It appears the
                                                  hard drive was not successfully made bootable by having it install Grub.
                                                  I chose the option, which was the default, to install Grub to the master
                                                  record of the first hard drive. I only have one hard drive. I did not
                                                  get any errors during the installation. Does anyone have any ideas what
                                                  the problem could be?
                                                  Stan

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 10
                                                    On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 10:17:29PM -0700, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@... [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                                    > I installed Ubuntu but I cannot boot the hard drive. It appeared to
                                                    > install successfully without any error, but when I removed the
                                                    > installation disk so it can self boot, I got the error message: "Disk
                                                    > Error Press any Key to Restart". I tried turning off the machine a
                                                    > number of times and tried reinstalling a number of times. It appears the
                                                    > hard drive was not successfully made bootable by having it install Grub.
                                                    > I chose the option, which was the default, to install Grub to the master
                                                    > record of the first hard drive. I only have one hard drive. I did not
                                                    > get any errors during the installation. Does anyone have any ideas what
                                                    > the problem could be?

                                                    Does the server use secure boot? If you're not running Windows on it, you
                                                    should be able to disable that. If you're just going to be running Ubuntu,
                                                    you can also change from EFI to legacy (sometimes called MBR) in the BIOS.
                                                    The name and method to do this depends upon the laptop. From your
                                                    description, as you deduce, Grub doesn't seem to have installed
                                                    successfully.

                                                  • Stan Gorodenski
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 10
                                                      Scott,
                                                      This machine is really strange. I went into the bios and could not find
                                                      an EFR, MBR, or Legacy setting. I remember something like this having to
                                                      be changed with my Lenovo laptop about 4 years ago that has a Win 8
                                                      motherboard on it. It had to be partitioned to run Win 7 Professional 64
                                                      bit. If I recall correctly, a change like this had to be made in the
                                                      Bios. The machine that has Ubuntu installed on it is a tower case
                                                      desktop that was put together by Motherboards and UPgrades in 2004 and
                                                      so it has an old Bios. I could not find any of the setting you mentioned
                                                      (the EFR, MBR, and Legacy). Maybe MotherBoards and Upgrades more
                                                      carefully tailored a Bios for the machine that did not have this setting.

                                                      However, here is the weird part. I got out of the Bios without saving
                                                      anything and let it proceed to boot up. This time Ubuntu loaded with a
                                                      lot of lines of information streaming across the screen. It eventually
                                                      asked for a login and so I entered the username for the
                                                      non-administrative account I had created during the installation and the
                                                      password for that account. I think it took it, but am not sure. I will
                                                      be gone for a couple days and will not be able to do anything more on it
                                                      till then. Why Ubuntu booted up today but would not yesterday is a
                                                      mystery to me. Yesterday I had turned the machine off a number of times
                                                      to re-boot, but did not turn off the line conditioner. I always turn off
                                                      the line conditioner every night and when I do this there is no power at
                                                      all that can get to a pc. Did completely turning off the power cause the
                                                      machine to clear itself of everything that made it possible for Ubuntu
                                                      to boot up? This does not seem possible on an old machine like this.
                                                      When it did boot up it stalled at a boot screen where I had to hit F1 to
                                                      continue and so there is still some kind of problem. I will investigate
                                                      this when I get back in about 3 days.

                                                      Thanks for your help.
                                                      Stan

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 10
                                                        On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 09:28:36AM -0700, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@... [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
                                                        > Scott,
                                                        > This machine is really strange. I went into the bios and could not find
                                                        > an EFR, MBR, or Legacy setting. I remember something like this having to
                                                        > be changed with my Lenovo laptop about 4 years ago that has a Win 8
                                                        > motherboard on it. It had to be partitioned to run Win 7 Professional 64
                                                        > bit. If I recall correctly, a change like this had to be made in the
                                                        > Bios. The machine that has Ubuntu installed on it is a tower case
                                                        > desktop that was put together by Motherboards and UPgrades in 2004 and
                                                        > so it has an old Bios. I could not find any of the setting you mentioned
                                                        > (the EFR, MBR, and Legacy). Maybe MotherBoards and Upgrades more
                                                        > carefully tailored a Bios for the machine that did not have this setting.

                                                        That's EFI or uefi, but whatever. :)

                                                        > However, here is the weird part. I got out of the Bios without saving
                                                        > anything and let it proceed to boot up. This time Ubuntu loaded with a
                                                        > lot of lines of information streaming across the screen. It eventually
                                                        > asked for a login and so I entered the username for the
                                                        > non-administrative account I had created during the installation and the
                                                        > password for that account. I think it took it, but am not sure.

                                                        To check, you can try typing commands, like ls (which will list in the
                                                        directory) or maybe ls -a which should show things like .bashrc and the
                                                        like.

                                                        I will
                                                        > be gone for a couple days and will not be able to do anything more on it
                                                        > till then. Why Ubuntu booted up today but would not yesterday is a
                                                        > mystery to me. Yesterday I had turned the machine off a number of times
                                                        > to re-boot, but did not turn off the line conditioner. I always turn off
                                                        > the line conditioner every night and when I do this there is no power at
                                                        > all that can get to a pc. Did completely turning off the power cause the
                                                        > machine to clear itself of everything that made it possible for Ubuntu
                                                        > to boot up?
                                                        This does not seem possible on an old machine like this.
                                                        > When it did boot up it stalled at a boot screen where I had to hit F1 to
                                                        > continue and so there is still some kind of problem. I will investigate
                                                        > this when I get back in about 3 days.

                                                        Good luck. It may be some sort of hardware issue, but I wouldn't know
                                                        where. :) Maybe the frequent reboots jarred something.