Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu

  • Jonathan Cunningham
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2007
      Sometimes you have to enable the drive to boot from it. Most times you
      highlight it and press space. If you look at the bottom or right side of the
      screen you should see which keys do what. Also, you might have a bad CD or a
      bad CD drive. But make sure that you have it set to boot correctly first.

      On 10/30/07, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
      > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
      > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
      > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
      > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
      > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
      > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
      > Linux.
      > Thanks for any help.
      > Dennis

    • Brian E Boothe
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
        make sure the CD_rom drive is at the top of the List, u can move them
        around with the page up / page down keys as u highlight them in your bios:
        that should do the trick

      • arske4i
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2007
          I tried to enable it, but it wouldn't. I've put the CD Rom at the top
          and even went to a friends house who is using Ubuntu, but he couldn't
          get it to boot from CD Rom either.
          Thanks anyway,

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Cunningham"
          <3timestrouble@...> wrote:

          > Sometimes you have to enable the drive to boot from it. Most times
          you
          > highlight it and press space. If you look at the bottom or right
          side of the
          > screen you should see which keys do what. Also, you might have a
          bad CD or a
          > bad CD drive. But make sure that you have it set to boot correctly
          first.

          > On 10/30/07, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from
          the CD
          > > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
          > > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list,
          but I
          > > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other
          drive,
          > > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
          > > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
          > > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become
          familiar with
          > > Linux.
          > > Thanks for any help.
          > > Dennis

        • arske4i
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
            I have a HP Pavilion 533w that I can't boot from the CD ROM. Is there
            another way to install Ubuntu? Any suggestions?
            Thanks
          • Zale Dowlen
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
              1. Are you postive fhe CD ROM is working?
              2. Are you burning the CD as an ISO image?
              3. I recommend you try PCLinuxOS, once you figure out the boot problem.

              On Oct 30, 2007 4:44 PM, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

              > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
              > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
              > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
              > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
              > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
              > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
              > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
              > Linux.
              > Thanks for any help.
              > Dennis

            • Dennis Ledford
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
                Yes the CD ROM is working. I can use the CD to load up the sample version to use on Windows. I did burn it the way I was informed by copying the image to a CD. Also, I tried the DVD with The Official Ubuntu Book. It didn't work either. I don't know what else to do. I would like a dual boot system.
                What is PCLinux?
                Thanks,
                1. Are you postive fhe CD ROM is working?
                2. Are you burning the CD as an ISO image?
                3. I recommend you try PCLinuxOS, once you figure out the boot problem.

                On Oct 30, 2007 4:44 PM, arske4i <ke4i@...> wrote:

                > I'm new to Linux and have been trying to boot my computer from the CD
                > Rom drive. I have a HP Pavilion 533w. I am running Windows XP Home
                > edition. I can move the CD to the top of the boot sequence list, but I
                > don't think it matters. There is a + by the hard drive and other drive,
                > but not by the CD Rom drive. Is there any suggestions?
                > I have tried ver 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Ubuntu with no success.
                > I am wanting to run a dual boot system until I can become familiar with
                > Linux.
                > Thanks for any help.
                > Dennis

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 10, 2007
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "arske4i" <ke4i@...> wrote:

                  > I tried to enable it, but it wouldn't. I've put the CD Rom at the top
                  > and even went to a friends house who is using Ubuntu, but he couldn't
                  > get it to boot from CD Rom either.
                  > Thanks anyway,

                  If the CD doesn't work on another machine, then I would definitely
                  suspect the CD. Try burning a new one, and select the option to
                  VERIFY the CD.

                  It could also just be Ubuntu. I cannot for the life of me get known
                  good Ubuntu-family LiveCD's to even boot up on certain machines,
                  particularily older Dell Optiplexes and my homebuilt Syntax mobo-based
                  secondary desktop. By "family" I mean Ubuntu itself, Kubuntu,
                  Xubuntu, and derivatives like Geubuntu and Linux Mint.

                  Like I said before, try a different Linux. I wasn't being as specific
                  as a certain other person, but I'd agree that PCLinuxOS would be one
                  to try. ;)
                • unclerichard68
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 11, 2007
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "arske4i" <ke4i@...> wrote:

                    > I have a HP Pavilion 533w that I can't boot from the CD ROM. Is there
                    > another way to install Ubuntu? Any suggestions?
                    > Thanks

                    It could be that your BIOS doesn't have booting from CDROM enabled.
                    This can be changed by entering the BIOS, or it maybe that you have
                    missed a boot command 'press any key to boot from CD'.

                    I suggest you try to boot again from the CD and watch Carefully as you
                    computer boots. Fist you should see the splash screen for your BIOS
                    followed by a row of columns. Now, right after these foloumns should
                    be a few lines of text one of which might be 'pree any key to boot
                    from CD'. At this point press any key and it should be boot.

                    If this doesn't work you will have to go into the BIOS anf change you
                    boot options. This is a little tricky so try the above first and get
                    back to the forum if it doesn't work.
                  • Denton K. Larson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 7, 2008
                      Hi everyone

                      I put on Ubuntu rather than Debian and was wondering if I can get the
                      screen size bigger than 800X600. I was hoping for 1024X768. It is on a
                      rather old machine just some expermint I use windows xp.

                      Denton Larson
                    • Zale Dowlen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 9, 2008
                        It can be done, but you may need a new video card. I'm running 1280x1024 on
                        dual screens.

                        --
                        N. Zale Dowlen, JD, MBA
                        White House, Tennessee

                        www.LawOfficeLinux.com

                        On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Denton K. Larson
                        <radioguy@...>wrote:

                        > Hi everyone
                        >
                        > I put on Ubuntu rather than Debian and was wondering if I can get the
                        > screen size bigger than 800X600. I was hoping for 1024X768. It is on a
                        > rather old machine just some expermint I use windows xp.
                        >
                        > Denton Larson

                      • Denton K. Larson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008
                          I have it magically it came, first it had 640X480, and 800X600
                          Now it has more how? I don't know.

                          Thanks anyway

                          Denton
                        • Zale Dowlen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 11, 2008
                            Guessing, I would say that you ran an update from the repository that fixed
                            it.

                            On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Denton K. Larson
                            <radioguy@...>wrote:

                            > I have it magically it came, first it had 640X480, and 800X600
                            > Now it has more how? I don't know.
                            >
                            > Thanks anyway
                            >
                            > Denton

                          • Gene Henley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 13, 2014

                                I put Ubuntu on two Dells. One of them developed a screen shift to the lefy.about two inches.
                                I suspect a Video driver problem. It isnot present in Windows XP. So far the other Dell is OK.
                                I want to troubleshoot,but need a starting point.
                                                                           Gene Henley
                            • Justin Bell
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 13, 2014
                                I ran into some strange video problems with a couple of older dell computers.  The problems, for me, appeared to be that the default screen resolution was too high for the old equipment.

                                I would start by dropping the screen resolution and see if the problem goes away.

                                If the problem goes, away.  then you know you are exceeding the limits of the old hardware.  Then try swapping the monitor.  It  may not be the most likely cause  of the problem  but it usually the easiest to swap.

                                Also note----when the problem occurs.  If the power up screen is normal, but the booted up screen is not, the problem is coming from something added by the operating system.

                                Hope this helps

                                Justin

                                On Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:55 PM, Gene Henley <mhenley2@...> wrote:

                                  I put Ubuntu on two Dells. One of them developed a screen shift to the lefy.about two inches.
                                  I suspect a Video driver problem. It isnot present in Windows XP. So far the other Dell is OK.
                                  I want to troubleshoot,but need a starting point.
                                                                             Gene Henley

                              • Joan Leach
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 13, 2014
                                  Did you check to see if a driver was available, if it's ati or nvida? I use the Hiren's Boot CD to see what is on the motherboard, etc. However, there are Linux tools that give the same info, but can help you better there...

                                  Joan in Reno