Re: [LINUX_Newbies] password problem

  • James Jolin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
      Scott,
      Tnx for the info..I tried what you said and it almost worked. But I must
      have done something wrong and the os booted up so I tried the password again
      and it went. Can't figure that out. Anyway I learned a little something.
      Thanks again.
      Jim

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
        On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:04:41PM -0500, James Jolin wrote:
        > Scott,
        > Tnx for the info..I tried what you said and it almost worked. But I must
        > have done something wrong and the os booted up so I tried the password again
        > and it went. Can't figure that out. Anyway I learned a little something.
        > Thanks again.

        The password works, right? Or not? When you type exit, after single
        user mode (which is what that singlo is) the machine boots
        normally--that is, it doesn't reboot, it exits out of single user mode
        and starts running all the other stuff that runs on a normal boot.

        BTW, it's considered better on most Unix and Unix like lists to use
        inline, rather than top posting. In line is where you answer paragraph
        A below paragraph A, etc. Otherwise it's like

        A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
        Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
        A: Top-posting.

        While I'm lecturing--I figure giving you an answer gets me some
        leeway--:) It's also considered good netiquette to trim the post that
        you're answering, especially on yahoo groups as they already add a bunch
        of stuff. That is, you could have probably trimmed almost all of my
        post (while, of course, answering any specific points *below* the points
        you were answering) <snicker>.

        It's a bit different than typical business mails, where you write a
        quick answer above and leave everything else intact for reference. If
        you take a look at the list faq, at
        http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html there's a bit on
        netiquette, with a link to a better page about it.

        Ok, I'm done lecturing.

        Oh--and eat your vegetables--no, you can't have the chocolate till after
        that.

        Ok, NOW, I'm done lecturing. :)

        Angelus: No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all
        that away and what's left?
        Buffy: Me.
      • James Jolin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
            On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:15:46PM -0500, James Jolin wrote:
            > > On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:04:41PM -0500, James Jolin wrote:
            > >

            > > The password works, right?
            > >
            > > Ok, I'm done lecturing.
            > >
            > > Oh--and eat your vegetables--no, you can't have the chocolate till after
            > > that.
            > >
            > > Ok, NOW, I'm done lecturing. :)
            > >
            > > Scott, I am aware of the rules and I try to use the inline, but the gmail
            > > thing does not seem to want to work that way...and it puts the cursor at the
            > > top. As you can see I finally got it to the bottom. The password works,
            > > BTW.Thanks again. Jim

            Ah yes, gmail can make it difficult (as can any of the web based ones.)

            HOWEVER--did you eat your vegetables?

            Seriously, I'm glad you got it working. Did I understand and answer
            your other question, about how when you were done, it booted?

            As for netiquette and mailers that hate them, there's a fella on NYLUG
            who posts

            Top posted from my Blackberry.

            which always makes me snicker.

            Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
            Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.