Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Is there a distro that I can use on an old, old laptop?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 08:34:59PM +0000, relztrah wrote:
      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In fact, if you can get PCLinuxOS to install, that might be the best
      > > way to go, it's very newbie-friendly, and will run on 128MB RAM. >
      >
      > When I launch the PCLinuxOS 2007 Live CD, regardless of the boot
      > option I select I get the message: You passed an undefined mode
      > number. Jump to 80X25. Then it goes back to the boot screen.

      You can try just hitting space and seeing what happens--or maybe it's
      enter, I forget--I was getting that with some distros when there was an
      Xorg bug with the mga driver.

      > I had a copy of Linux For Dummies and sold it on eBay in a moment of
      > weakness and discouragement with Linux. But I'm again going to give
      > it my best shot. I found some free online courses at:
      >
      > http://www.linux.org/lessons/

      I didn't find Linux for Dummies that helpful when I was a newcomer. You
      might even try the free online rute book.

      http://tech-geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/LinuxWorkshop/rute/

      Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
      Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
      Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
      Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 08:34:59PM +0000, relztrah wrote:
        > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@> wrote:

        Gary: In fact, if you can get PCLinuxOS to install, (...)

        relztrah: When I launch the PCLinuxOS 2007 Live CD, regardless of the
        boot option I select I get the message: You passed an undefined mode
        number. Jump to 80X25. Then it goes back to the boot screen.

        Scott: You can try just hitting space and seeing what happens--or
        maybe it's enter, I forget--I was getting that with some distros when
        there was an Xorg bug with the mga driver. [/quote]

        I've seen the undefined mode number bit, but usually it would wait for
        the user to type a number (after listing whatever video modes it could
        detect). That it just resets back to bootscreen means that your
        laptop's video mode is utterly unrecognized by PCLOS. That's also why
        I said "IF" you could get it to run ;-)

        > > I had a copy of Linux For Dummies and sold it on eBay in a moment of
        > > weakness and discouragement with Linux. But I'm again going to give
        > > it my best shot. I found some free online courses at:
        > >
        > > http://www.linux.org/lessons/
        >
        > I didn't find Linux for Dummies that helpful when I was a newcomer. You
        > might even try the free online rute book.
        >
        > http://tech-geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/LinuxWorkshop/rute/

        L.f.D didn't help me much either, which is why I said a book "like"
        it, not the book itself. I use O'Reilly's Linux Pocket Guide for
        basic commands, and online faq's and wikis for more detailed stuff.
      • duckz quack
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          Minimum Requeriments: The minimum hardware for running Elive is a 100 Mhz CPU and 64 MB of RAM, but the minimum recommended hardware is 300 Mhz and 128 Mb of RAM. You don't need any special graphic card or 3D acceleration to run Elive.

          Try elive maybe this distro is for you

          Scott <scottro@...> wrote: On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 08:34:59PM +0000, relztrah wrote:
          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > In fact, if you can get PCLinuxOS to install, that might be the best
          > > way to go, it's very newbie-friendly, and will run on 128MB RAM. >
          >
          > When I launch the PCLinuxOS 2007 Live CD, regardless of the boot
          > option I select I get the message: You passed an undefined mode
          > number. Jump to 80X25. Then it goes back to the boot screen.

          You can try just hitting space and seeing what happens--or maybe it's
          enter, I forget--I was getting that with some distros when there was an
          Xorg bug with the mga driver.

          > I had a copy of Linux For Dummies and sold it on eBay in a moment of
          > weakness and discouragement with Linux. But I'm again going to give
          > it my best shot. I found some free online courses at:
          >
          > http://www.linux.org/lessons/

          I didn't find Linux for Dummies that helpful when I was a newcomer. You
          might even try the free online rute book.

          http://tech-geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/LinuxWorkshop/rute/

          Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
          Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
          Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
          Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.

          Join Linux on Toshiba Group

          Fedora Core 4 - Toshiba and Acer Notebooks personal installation notes

          Visit http://www.freewebs.com/duckzland

          Ndiswrapper notes
          Kernel Guide

          Fedora Core 4