Installing with an MCA SCSI card?

  • Jonathan Spriggs
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2000
      Following a recent post to a Usenet group, I managed to get my SCSI CDRom
      drive working with MS Dos, but I'm now trying to install one of the
      following distros (all on Coverdisk CD Rom here) and am having problems
      mounting them, as none seem to find the SCSI card.

      Disto's:
      Redhat 5.1, 5.2, 6.0
      Xpresso Linux 2000
      Mandrake 7

      The computer is an IBM PS/2 Model 95 XP486

      In which there is the following;

      1 IBM card, with an Adaptec chip (AIC-625OEL) FCC ID ANO6451018
      1 Toshiba SCSI CD Rom (XM-4101B)

      I've managed to extract from the ASPIIBM.sys file that the I/O is 3540,
      IDD is 0, IRQ is OE and the DMA is 0C.

      The CD Rom drive is device 0 in the chain.

      With help, I've discovered that I have the old style SCSI
      W/Cache SOD and the K Type 486DX33 Complex if this helps at all.

      Thanks

      Jon Spriggs
    • William David Porter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2000
        Simple questions first. (Don't take offense)
        1. Is the chain terminated??
        2. Did you install SCSI support, and recompile the kernel for it??

        Bill

        At 08:38 PM 5/1/00 +0100, you wrote:
        >Following a recent post to a Usenet group, I managed to get my SCSI CDRom
        >drive working with MS Dos, but I'm now trying to install one of the
        >following distros (all on Coverdisk CD Rom here) and am having problems
        >mounting them, as none seem to find the SCSI card.
        >
        >Disto's:
        >Redhat 5.1, 5.2, 6.0
        >Xpresso Linux 2000
        >Mandrake 7
        >
        >The computer is an IBM PS/2 Model 95 XP486
        >
        >In which there is the following;
        >
        >1 IBM card, with an Adaptec chip (AIC-625OEL) FCC ID ANO6451018
        >1 Toshiba SCSI CD Rom (XM-4101B)
        >
        >I've managed to extract from the ASPIIBM.sys file that the I/O is 3540,
        >IDD is 0, IRQ is OE and the DMA is 0C.
        >
        >The CD Rom drive is device 0 in the chain.
        >
        >With help, I've discovered that I have the old style SCSI
        >W/Cache SOD and the K Type 486DX33 Complex if this helps at all.
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Jon Spriggs

        >High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
        >Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!

      • Jonathan Spriggs
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2000
          >Simple questions first. (Don't take offense)
          >1. Is the chain terminated??
          >2. Did you install SCSI support, and recompile the kernel for it??
          >
          >Bill

          1) Yes
          2) Haven't even installed it yet..

          Jon
        • William David Porter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2000
            You need to install the SCSI modules, and recompile the kernel. There
            should be a howto at metalab.unc.edu