Re: [LINUX_Newbies] I can't get connected to my network or internet

  • Andy.Pagin@AxiomCC.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      I have a pc running Window 98se and dual booting with Fedora Core 5. I
      can't get my network running. This is the second computer. It is
      networked with another computer running Windows 98se by a Netopia 3D
      Reach usb stick. I have read that wireless can be a problem with
      linux. Is this true? Can someone give me a lead as to which way to
      look for help. I am new to Linux and I have read a lot on different
      websites concerning wireless and I have totally confused myself. Is
      there another solution to my problem like changing the way I network
      these two computers, that would be more friendly to the linux os. thanks.

      Wireless can be a nightmare with Linux, especially 64 bit Linux, a lot of
      wireless cards just don't have Linux drivers available.
      There a freebie product called ndiswrapper that can sometimes help.
      Personally I gave up on wireless after a month of messing about. It took me
      about three hours to hardwire the house instead.

      Good luck, sorry to be so negative.

      Thanks

      Andy.

      This email, together with any attachments, is for the exclusive and
      confidential use of the addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged
      information. Any other distribution, use or reproduction without the
      sender's prior consent is unauthorised and strictly prohibited. If you
      have received this message in error, please notify the sender by email
      immediately and delete the message from your computer without making any
      copies. While attachments are virus checked, Axiom Consulting Limited does
      not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.

      Axiom Consulting Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial
      Services Authority
      Registered Office: Lloyds Chambers, 1 Portsoken Street, London E1 8DF. Tel:
      +44(0)20 7767 2700
      Registered in England No. 4054468
    • Robert C Wittig
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
        Bruce C. Reavis wrote:
        > I have a pc running Window 98se and dual booting with Fedora Core 5. I
        > can't get my network running. This is the second computer. It is
        > networked with another computer running Windows 98se by a Netopia 3D
        > Reach usb stick. I have read that wireless can be a problem with
        > linux. Is this true? Can someone give me a lead as to which way to
        > look for help. I am new to Linux and I have read a lot on different
        > websites concerning wireless and I have totally confused myself. Is
        > there another solution to my problem like changing the way I network
        > these two computers, that would be more friendly to the linux os. thanks.

        Windows 98se is pretty old... you can't even download security patches
        for it anymore. You might want to consider picking up a cheap copy of
        Windows 2000 on eBay (or at a garage sale)... it still offers full
        updates.

        What do you mean, precisely, by 'I can't get my network running'.

        Is either operating system able to connect to the Internet?

        In Linux, you should always check to see if a piece of hardware that
        is not working, is supported by the distribution you are using. If the
        'Netopia 3D Reach usb stick' is not supported by FC5, that is your
        problem.

        Try Googling something like:

        Netopia 3D Reach USB Linux

        ...and see if you get any hits.

        Personally, I don't use wireless, I just use good old CAT 5 cable for
        my 9 machine LAN.

        --
        -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
        http://robertwittig.net/
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
          Thanks for the advice Andy.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
            Thanks for the advice Robert. I just never moved on beyond Windows
            98se. I have installed the later versions of Windows on friends
            computers and I just prefer 98se after seeing the others. Linux is the
            only other os that interest me at the present. Please don't think I'm
            crazy for the 98se thing. I have an ethernet card somewhere around
            here, so I will give that a try. The only problem is that the dsl
            router is on the other side of the house. I will have to do a little
            measuring to see how many feet of cable I will need. According to
            Bellsouth, Windows 98se should not even be working with the equipment
            they provided me with, because the drivers were for later Windows
            operating systems. Thanks again.

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig
            <wittig.robert@...> wrote:

            > Bruce C. Reavis wrote:
            > > I have a pc running Window 98se and dual booting with Fedora Core 5. I
            > > can't get my network running. This is the second computer. It is
            > > networked with another computer running Windows 98se by a Netopia 3D
            > > Reach usb stick. I have read that wireless can be a problem with
            > > linux. Is this true? Can someone give me a lead as to which way to
            > > look for help. I am new to Linux and I have read a lot on different
            > > websites concerning wireless and I have totally confused myself. Is
            > > there another solution to my problem like changing the way I network
            > > these two computers, that would be more friendly to the linux os.
            thanks.

            > Windows 98se is pretty old... you can't even download security patches
            > for it anymore. You might want to consider picking up a cheap copy of
            > Windows 2000 on eBay (or at a garage sale)... it still offers full
            > updates.
            >
            > What do you mean, precisely, by 'I can't get my network running'.
            >
            > Is either operating system able to connect to the Internet?
            >
            > In Linux, you should always check to see if a piece of hardware that
            > is not working, is supported by the distribution you are using. If the
            > 'Netopia 3D Reach usb stick' is not supported by FC5, that is your
            > problem.
            >
            > Try Googling something like:
            >
            > Netopia 3D Reach USB Linux
            >
            > ...and see if you get any hits.
            >
            > Personally, I don't use wireless, I just use good old CAT 5 cable for
            > my 9 machine LAN.
            >

            > --
            > -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
            > http://robertwittig.net/
            > http://robertwittig.org/
            > .

          • Bill M.
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              Bruce,

              > 1. I can't get connected to my network or internet
              > Posted by: "Bruce C. Reavis" w4bcr@... w4bcr
              > Date: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 pm ((PDT))
              >
              > I have a pc running Window 98se and dual booting with Fedora Core 5. I
              > can't get my network running. This is the second computer. It is
              > networked with another computer running Windows 98se by a Netopia 3D
              > Reach usb stick. I have read that wireless can be a problem with
              > linux. Is this true? Can someone give me a lead as to which way to

              Google is your friend! Do a search for the exact name of the wireless
              USB dongle and Fedora 5. Here's the deal: wireless card/usb makers
              sometimes use one set of chips for their product on one version, and
              then another chip manufacturer on the next version. So, version 1.0 of
              the wireless may use Atheros chipset, the 1.1 version might use a
              Broadcom chip set. You need to see what version is listed on the USB
              dongle - the chipset may not be supported (a Linux development team may
              not have done any work on the new chip set yet.)
              Good luck!

              -*-Bill
            • duckzlandd
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce C. Reavis" <w4bcr@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the advice Robert. I just never moved on beyond Windows
                > 98se. I have installed the later versions of Windows on friends
                > computers and I just prefer 98se after seeing the others. Linux is the
                > only other os that interest me at the present. Please don't think I'm
                > crazy for the 98se thing. I have an ethernet card somewhere around
                > here, so I will give that a try. The only problem is that the dsl
                > router is on the other side of the house. I will have to do a little
                > measuring to see how many feet of cable I will need. According to
                > Bellsouth, Windows 98se should not even be working with the equipment
                > they provided me with, because the drivers were for later Windows
                > operating systems. Thanks again.
                >
                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig
                > <wittig.robert@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bruce C. Reavis wrote:
                > > > I have a pc running Window 98se and dual booting with Fedora
                Core 5. I
                > > > can't get my network running. This is the second computer. It is
                > > > networked with another computer running Windows 98se by a Netopia 3D
                > > > Reach usb stick. I have read that wireless can be a problem with
                > > > linux. Is this true? Can someone give me a lead as to which way to
                > > > look for help. I am new to Linux and I have read a lot on different
                > > > websites concerning wireless and I have totally confused myself. Is
                > > > there another solution to my problem like changing the way I network
                > > > these two computers, that would be more friendly to the linux os.
                > thanks.
                > > >

                > > Windows 98se is pretty old... you can't even download security
                patches
                > > for it anymore. You might want to consider picking up a cheap copy of
                > > Windows 2000 on eBay (or at a garage sale)... it still offers full
                > > updates.
                > >
                > > What do you mean, precisely, by 'I can't get my network running'.
                > >
                > > Is either operating system able to connect to the Internet?
                > >
                > > In Linux, you should always check to see if a piece of hardware that
                > > is not working, is supported by the distribution you are using. If
                the
                > > 'Netopia 3D Reach usb stick' is not supported by FC5, that is your
                > > problem.
                > >
                > > Try Googling something like:
                > >
                > > Netopia 3D Reach USB Linux
                > >
                > > ...and see if you get any hits.
                > >
                > > Personally, I don't use wireless, I just use good old CAT 5 cable for
                > > my 9 machine LAN.
                > >

                > > --
                > > -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                > > http://robertwittig.net/
                > > http://robertwittig.org/
                > > .

                First of all you need to know what is your wireless USB chipset,

                if its chipset is Intel / Prism / ralink then you are in luck you can
                use native kernel driver:
                1. For intel driver, I think you will need to get the firmware.
                2. For Ralink driver, you need to compile from source

                else try using ndiswrapper + windows driver.

                assuming your distro is Fedora Core, I think if I remember correctly
                you will need to download 16 K kernel from linuxant then get
                ndiswrapper rpm.

                after you figure out the correct driver, you need to activate the
                kernel by modprobe then configure it by using wireless-tools
                (iwconfig) then ifconfig / dhcpcd.

                then it should connect you to the internet.

                Hope this helps

                Duckz