Broadcom Wifi card

  • Zale Dowlen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hello:

      I have configured two laptops with Linux. Both had Atheros cards and
      PCLinux OS handled the cards extremely well.

      The third machine has a Broadcom card and it does not appear that any
      Linux distro handles this card well.

      I'm not a "code guy" so I'm looking for a simple way to get this card
      working. Suggestions?

      Thanks!

      Zale
    • kevin orourke
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hi Zale,
        I have the same problem I have a fujitsu siemens
        laptop and can't get the broadcom wireless to work,
        I've tried all sorts of site to look for a driver but
        no luck, I will keep you informed if I find a driver,
        please tell me if you find one.

        Kev
        --- Zale Dowlen <nzd1211@...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        >
        > I have configured two laptops with Linux. Both had
        > Atheros cards and
        > PCLinux OS handled the cards extremely well.
        >
        > The third machine has a Broadcom card and it does
        > not appear that any
        > Linux distro handles this card well.
        >
        > I'm not a "code guy" so I'm looking for a simple way
        > to get this card
        > working. Suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Zale

        love not hate and we all learn from each other.
        go forth through life with a closed mind and you will experience nothing.
        make money your secondary goal and the love of others your first.
        do not hate just understand

        Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
      • Zale Dowlen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
          Try Mepis 6.5. I got it to work on the first install with the Broadcom
          card. The wifi is still a little screwy when you switch networks, but
          when you manually configure the network it seems to do fine.

          Zale

          On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 06:23 -0700, kevin orourke wrote:
          > Hi Zale,
          > I have the same problem I have a fujitsu siemens
          > laptop and can't get the broadcom wireless to work,
          > I've tried all sorts of site to look for a driver but
          > no luck, I will keep you informed if I find a driver,
          > please tell me if you find one.
          >
          > Kev
          > --- Zale Dowlen <nzd1211@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello:
          > >
          > > I have configured two laptops with Linux. Both had
          > > Atheros cards and
          > > PCLinux OS handled the cards extremely well.
          > >
          > > The third machine has a Broadcom card and it does
          > > not appear that any
          > > Linux distro handles this card well.
          > >
          > > I'm not a "code guy" so I'm looking for a simple way
          > > to get this card
          > > working. Suggestions?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Zale
          > >

          > love not hate and we all learn from each other.
          > go forth through life with a closed mind and you will experience
          > nothing.
          > make money your secondary goal and the love of others your first.
          > do not hate just understand

          > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

        • Felix T. Gomez, Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hi,

            I hope somebody can give me some enlightenment on this
            matter.

            I have a computer connected to the computer and this
            also acts as the gateway so it has two ip addresses.
            One for the public and the other for the local
            network.

            I have another computer connected to our local
            network. It has only one IP address and that is for
            the local network. I want this computer to hold the
            web pages I will make for our company.

            My question is how can I make it possible? How will I
            be able to configure it?

            The two computers are under Slackware. I have tried
            help from the slackware website but to no avail. I
            hope somebody who have done this before can give
            insights for me.

            Thank you very much.

          • kevin orourke
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
              ok will try mepis

              Cheers kev

              --- Zale Dowlen <nzd1211@...> wrote:

              > Try Mepis 6.5. I got it to work on the first
              > install with the Broadcom
              > card. The wifi is still a little screwy when you
              > switch networks, but
              > when you manually configure the network it seems to
              > do fine.
              >
              > Zale
              >
              > On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 06:23 -0700, kevin orourke
              > wrote:
              > > Hi Zale,
              > > I have the same problem I have a fujitsu siemens
              > > laptop and can't get the broadcom wireless to
              > work,
              > > I've tried all sorts of site to look for a driver
              > but
              > > no luck, I will keep you informed if I find a
              > driver,
              > > please tell me if you find one.
              > >
              > > Kev
              > > --- Zale Dowlen <nzd1211@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hello:
              > > >
              > > > I have configured two laptops with Linux. Both
              > had
              > > > Atheros cards and
              > > > PCLinux OS handled the cards extremely well.
              > > >
              > > > The third machine has a Broadcom card and it
              > does
              > > > not appear that any
              > > > Linux distro handles this card well.
              > > >
              > > > I'm not a "code guy" so I'm looking for a simple
              > way
              > > > to get this card
              > > > working. Suggestions?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >
              > > > Zale
              > > >

              > > love not hate and we all learn from each other.
              > > go forth through life with a closed mind and you
              > will experience
              > > nothing.
              > > make money your secondary goal and the love of
              > others your first.
              > > do not hate just understand

              > > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
              > > Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.
              > > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

              love not hate and we all learn from each other.
              go forth through life with a closed mind and you will experience nothing.
              make money your secondary goal and the love of others your first.
              do not hate just understand

              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            • Chad Martin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
                Felix T. Gomez, Jr. wrote:
                > I have a computer connected to the computer and this
                > also acts as the gateway so it has two ip addresses.
                > One for the public and the other for the local
                > network.

                So this is a router machine running NAT.

                > I have another computer connected to our local
                > network. It has only one IP address and that is for
                > the local network. I want this computer to hold the
                > web pages I will make for our company.
                >
                > My question is how can I make it possible? How will I
                > be able to configure it?

                The configuration happens at your router. You need to forward the
                relevant ports (80, at least) to your webserver, such that if an
                incoming HTTP request hits your router, it knows to forward it on to the
                webserver. There is no special configuration required of your webserver.

                Google around for "port forwarding linux" or something similar. You
                should get a wealth of info.

                Chad Martin
              • Felix T. Gomez, Jr.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
                  hi,

                  Thank you very much for giving me an idea where to start.

                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, kevin orourke
                    <kevinorourkegeordie@...> wrote:

                    > ok will try mepis

                    MEPIS is one of the (dozen) Linuxes I've tried, and one of the few
                    that would recognize my wifi card out of the box -- if not actually
                    enable and use it. But I'm not using MEPIS currently. I might go
                    back to it, on a desktop machine, just because MEPIS has the BOINC
                    client set up in their default repositories now, something I've wanted
                    for a while.

                    Anyway, back on topic, I *just* got the Broadcom 4318 wifi card in my
                    Compaq Presario V2000 working under Fedora 7. There was a help topic
                    in the Fedora community forum that I (mostly) followed. It was mostly
                    instruction on how to use the ndiswrapper command, so "info" or Google
                    that.

                    The bcmwl5.inf file the howto's author had helpfully provided in a zip
                    file didn't *quite* work for me (intended for a pcmcia card
                    configuration vs. my mobo built-in?), but fortunately, my laptop is
                    dual-boot, WinXP/Fedora, so I was able to mount my NTFS patition,
                    reach into it, copy the *.inf file over to Linux-side, and use THAT
                    with "ndiswrapper -i". Caveat about ndiswrapper, if it fails somehow,
                    like if you misspell the driver filename, it will fail silently. If
                    the driver doesn't work, "ndiswrapper -r whatever.inf" and try again.

                    Also, if you see a warning message about the 4K stack in the kernel,
                    ignore it. It should still work -- mine did, no kernel recompile
                    needed! *whew*