Fedora 7 won't boot: Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
      I'm new to Linux (less than a week) and had Feddora Core 6 installed
      on my Dell Inspiron E1505 with no problems (except for the fact that I
      couldn't get wireless to work on it)

      Today I tried upgrading to Fedora 7. Everything during installation
      seemed to be going fine. Then at the end of the installation process
      it had me remove the install DVD and then reboot.

      Now it won't boot at all. It gets stuck on "Uncompressing Linux...
      Ok, booting the kernel." and won't do anything after that.

      I have Fedora installed on the same hard drive as Win XP, but they
      have their own partitions. Win XP still boots fine.

      Anybody have any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • de6vi6l
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
        I would try re-installing the OS!

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sdouglas949@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to Linux (less than a week) and had Feddora Core 6 installed
        > on my Dell Inspiron E1505 with no problems (except for the fact that I
        > couldn't get wireless to work on it)
        >
        > Today I tried upgrading to Fedora 7. Everything during installation
        > seemed to be going fine. Then at the end of the installation process
        > it had me remove the install DVD and then reboot.
        >
        > Now it won't boot at all. It gets stuck on "Uncompressing Linux...
        > Ok, booting the kernel." and won't do anything after that.
        >
        > I have Fedora installed on the same hard drive as Win XP, but they
        > have their own partitions. Win XP still boots fine.
        >
        > Anybody have any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve

      • duckz quack
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2007
          corrupt kernel perhaps?

          try use the rescue cd and copy fresh kernel and try again

          de6vi6l <jaspreet.atwal@...> wrote: I would try re-installing the OS!

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sdouglas949@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to Linux (less than a week) and had Feddora Core 6 installed
          > on my Dell Inspiron E1505 with no problems (except for the fact that I
          > couldn't get wireless to work on it)
          >
          > Today I tried upgrading to Fedora 7. Everything during installation
          > seemed to be going fine. Then at the end of the installation process
          > it had me remove the install DVD and then reboot.
          >
          > Now it won't boot at all. It gets stuck on "Uncompressing Linux...
          > Ok, booting the kernel." and won't do anything after that.
          >
          > I have Fedora installed on the same hard drive as Win XP, but they
          > have their own partitions. Win XP still boots fine.
          >
          > Anybody have any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve

          Join Linux on Toshiba Group

          Fedora Core 4 - Toshiba and Acer Notebooks personal installation notes

          Visit http://www.freewebs.com/duckzland

          Ndiswrapper notes
          Kernel Guide

          Fedora Core 4

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, duckz quack <duckzlandd@...> wrote:

            > corrupt kernel perhaps?
            >
            > try use the rescue cd and copy fresh kernel and try again

            Due respect ducky, expecting a newbie to be able to install from the
            rescue cd is just asking for trouble; I tried it and failed, and if
            I'm any example....

            I attempted to install from a freshly-burned F7 Live CD, but that
            seems to be screwed up. K3B verified that the CD matched the .iso
            file, but the .iso file itself must be screwed because no matter what
            option I select, my 'puter immediately reboots. No I didn't compare
            MD5 or SHAI-whetever of the .iso I ended up with against the website's
            original, and probably should have.

            Anyway, I then I burned a F7 RescueCD instead (successfully this time)
            attempted to install from the DVD .iso (also downloaded) on my hard
            drive, except that the menu offered by the F7 RescueCD doesn't seem to
            register my IDE hard drive (/hda) while it *does* think my SCSI zip100
            (/sda4) is a viable candidate...arrrrgh!

            I do NOT have a DVD burner, and F-7 seems to only be distributed that
            way, so I *have* to either use a HD image or FTP/HTTP.

            So, I boot the F7 Rescue disk again, and tried the HTTP option, but I
            can't seem to get what it's asking for right. For example, as the web
            site (first text area), I enter "mirror.sanford.edu", and then for the
            package directory, "fedora/linux/releases/7/everything/i386/os/"

            If that's not what it's asking for, what is?
          • Gary
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:

              {various troubles with home-burned LiveCD and rescueCD's)

              OK, folks, situation update. It seems to be a media and/or burner
              issue more than anything else. I've burned 3 different F7 LiveCD's on
              Memorex 52x-capable, 2 using the HP9300 on my linux box, and the last
              on the CD/DVD burner on my Compaq Presario (WinXP) laptop. *None* of
              the LiveCD's work, which is to say the disk boots up, but as soon as I
              *select* anything, the process crashes and reboots the computer. I've
              tried these disks in both the HP9300 or the (equally ancient) Liteon
              LTD-122 DVDROM that I have available to me! But the very same disks
              work just fine in said Compaq, or in my OLD laptop, which is an IBM
              ThinkPad 600X!

              Isn't that messed up, that a burner can't seem to read its own product
              very well?

              Since I had my Compaq out anyway, I re-downloaded the DVD .iso to it,
              burned it, and d-mned if is doesn't work just *fine*. 523 of 825
              packages installed as I type this, and proceeding smoothly. So,
              fellow newbies, I tell you, DVD is the way to go, even if you have to
              shell a few buck out to a professional source to get a copy!