Runaway Burn Speeds With Liteon CD/DVD Drive

  • David M. Patronis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      I have a Liteon LH 18A1P DVD/CD writer, which, regardless of distro,
      burns CDs at its uppermost speed (seemingly exceeding the maximum
      recommended speed occasionally) regardless of what I select via a
      burning program. DVDs burn properly. I get the same result with any
      burning program. Since this doesn't occur with Windows, I am assuming
      the burner is not at fault, and modifications can be made to Linux to
      correct the defect.

      If there is a solution, please let me know.

      David
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
        I may not have an answer for you myself, but it might be helpful to
        the guru-types if you stated what burning program you favor. Also,
        I'm a little uncertain why burning at top speed is a problem -- unless
        it means that the CD inevitably gets screwed up?

        I've got an older CD burner, HP9300. Using K3b (reccomended to me in
        another thread), I select "auto speed". It initially assumes 20x,
        then smoothly throttles down to 10x when it realizes that's all the
        9300 can manage...

        If you haven't already, check the speed settings in your burn program;
        do you *have* an auto-speed select?

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Patronis"
        <patronis78@...> wrote:

        > I have a Liteon LH 18A1P DVD/CD writer, which, regardless of distro,
        > burns CDs at its uppermost speed (seemingly exceeding the maximum
        > recommended speed occasionally) regardless of what I select via a
        > burning program. DVDs burn properly. I get the same result with any
        > burning program. Since this doesn't occur with Windows, I am assuming
        > the burner is not at fault, and modifications can be made to Linux to
        > correct the defect.
        >
        > If there is a solution, please let me know.
        >
        > David

      • David M. Patronis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
          Gary wrote:

          > I may not have an answer for you myself, but it might be helpful to
          > the guru-types if you stated what burning program you favor. Also,
          > I'm a little uncertain why burning at top speed is a problem -- unless
          > it means that the CD inevitably gets screwed up?
          >
          > I've got an older CD burner, HP9300. Using K3b (reccomended to me in
          > another thread), I select "auto speed". It initially assumes 20x,
          > then smoothly throttles down to 10x when it realizes that's all the
          > 9300 can manage...
          >
          > If you haven't already, check the speed settings in your burn program;
          > do you *have* an auto-speed select?
          >

          > --

          I usually use K3b, but as I stated in the post, I have experimented with
          a number of burning programs using this burner, and get the same result.
          Oddly enough, when using a Pentium III based motherboard with an Intel
          chipset, this problem does not occur. The error only manifests itself
          with AMD processors/motherboards and their various chipsets. I should
          have mentioned this in my original post. Doesn't seem to make a
          difference whether 64 or 32 bit either, the AMD processor and chipset
          seem to be the trouble.

          Burning at the highest speed can indeed produce errors. It has been my
          experience that in addition to initial errors, discs burned at top speed
          have shorter lifespans than those burned at a more conservative speed.
          Therefore, I usually burn CDs at 8x, the slowest speed most of my
          equipment can muster. The particular Liteon unit I mentioned has a
          minimum burn speed of 16x for CDs, maximum of 48.

          Selecting "Auto" merely sends it racing off into oblivion like any other
          speed setting. It responds to settings such as data mode, DAO, TAO etc.
          Additionally, as previously stated, it burns DVDs without incident,
          dutifully burning at whatever speed I select, in whatever mode I select.
          It functions properly with Windows XP in all modes.

          I have temporarily "solved" this problem by simply using a burner which
          seems completely compatible with Linux. In fact, all burners I've
          experimented with, save this Liteon, including a couple of ancient
          models like your own, function properly.
        • Roy Charles
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2007
            K3B is great and so is Brasero which is the burner that comes with Gnome. Brasero is simpler to use.

            <patronis78@ ...> wrote:

            > I have a Liteon LH 18A1P DVD/CD writer, which, regardless of distro,

            > burns CDs at its uppermost speed (seemingly exceeding the maximum

            > recommended speed occasionally) regardless of what I select via a

            > burning program. DVDs burn properly. I get the same result with any

            > burning program. Since this doesn't occur with Windows, I am assuming

            > the burner is not at fault, and modifications can be made to Linux to

            > correct the defect.

            > If there is a solution, please let me know.

            > David

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

          • David M. Patronis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2007
              Roy Charles wrote:

              > K3B is great and so is Brasero which is the burner that comes with
              > Gnome. Brasero is simpler to use.
              >
              > -----

              Yes, I agree. K3b is a great burning program. The trouble, however, lies
              with some sort of UNIX-Linux incompatibility with this burner. As I have
              said, CD burning speeds are fully regulated within a Windows framework
              (Vista or XP) but, when using any flavor of Linux, and even Free BSD, it
              burns CDs at its highest speed, regardless of what I select via the GUI
              of K3b or the parameters I set using command line programs such as
              cdrecord. Other GUI programs like the Nautilus CD burner and the various
              Gnome programs produce the same result.

              I wonder if Liteon purposely built this model to be incompatible with
              UNIX like systems, or, just as likely, if the decision was profit
              motivated; ie, the incompatible components within the burner were
              cheaper. This is one of the cheapest burners I've ever purchased. I
              believe I was able to purchase it with shipping included for under $35.