Re: help

  • duckzlandd
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2007
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "kerusing" <kerusing@...> wrote:

      > I just installed linux 10.2 on my new computer how do i intall the
      > device driver for my video card or run or intall any .exe program?
      > tyia

      there are no .exe in linux.

      what distro did u install ur comp with?.

      what kind of video card do u have?

      what kind of device driver do you need?

    • sameer ansari
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 23, 2007
        Hi friends,,
        I am getting unknown error number when i am going to access ftp server from windows xp on command prompt. I am using RHEL AS 5. Can anyone help me..

        Thanks & Regards
        Sameer Ansari

        Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/

      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 24, 2007
          sameer ansari wrote:
          > I am getting unknown error number when i am going to access ftp server from windows xp on command prompt. I am using RHEL AS 5. Can anyone help me..

          Probably not, since you gave us no useful information on the error, your
          setup, or really anything. Also, you managed to crosspost, which will
          only lessen your chances of people responding. Please read the list's
          FAQ to learn how to increase your chances of getting good responses.

          Chad Martin
        • Grantrocket Nlm
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 16, 2008
            ok like you said in a diffrent message mandriva one 2008 is a great os for older computers and newer ones and i run it on a vitural machine within xp. (go ahad and say xp stinks) ok so why can't i get a .exe file to open in mandriva. i'm also going to get the ubuntu os to run in vitural machine before i decide what os to replace the os on my computer(xp).

          • Robert C Wittig
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 17, 2008
              Grantrocket Nlm wrote:

              > ok like you said in a diffrent message mandriva one 2008 is a great

              os for older computers and newer ones and i run it on a vitural
              machine within xp. (go ahad and say xp stinks) ok so why can't i get a
              .exe file to open in mandriva.
              > --------------------------------

              If the *.exe file was compiled to run in a Microsoft Windows
              environment, then it will not be able to run in a Linux environment,
              or in a virtual Linux environment.

              --
              -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
              http://robertwittig.net/
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 17, 2008
                You need to install a program called Wine to run exe files in Linux. Wine is not an emulator but adds a compatibility layer to Linux so that you can run some but not all Windows programs. Use the package manager in Mandriva to install Wine. Then when you click on an exe file it will load Wine and try to execute the file.

                Roy

                Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                Support Open source.
                <*,)}}+<
                Only dead fish go with the flow!

                > ok like you said in a diffrent message mandriva one 2008 is a great

                os for older computers and newer ones and i run it on a vitural
                machine within xp. (go ahad and say xp stinks) ok so why can't i get a
                ..exe file to open in mandriva.
                > ------------ --------- --------- --

                If the *.exe file was compiled to run in a Microsoft Windows
                environment, then it will not be able to run in a Linux environment,
                or in a virtual Linux environment.

                --
                -wittig http://www.robertwi ttig.com/
                http://robertwittig .net/
                http://robertwittig .org/
                ..

              • Robert C Wittig
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Linux Canuck wrote:
                  > You need to install a program called Wine to run exe files in Linux. Wine is not an emulator but adds a compatibility layer to Linux so that you can run some but not all Windows programs. Use the package manager in Mandriva to install Wine. Then when you click on an exe file it will load Wine and try to execute the file.

                  Heh! This is going full circle.

                  The individual will then be running Windows XP, with
                  Mandriva Linux running on a virtual machine within XP, and with Wine
                  then running inside the Mandriva virtual machine.

                  Wheels within wheels.

                  --
                  -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                  http://robertwittig.net/
                  http://robertwittig.org/
                  .
                • Linux Canuck

                    > You need to install a program called Wine to run exe files in Linux. Wine is not an emulator but adds a compatibility layer to Linux so that you can run some but not all Windows programs. Use the package manager in Mandriva to install Wine. Then when you click on an exe file it will load Wine and try to execute the file.

                    Heh! This is going full circle.

                    The individual will then be running Windows XP, with
                    Mandriva Linux running on a virtual machine within XP, and with Wine
                    then running inside the Mandriva virtual machine.

                    Wheels within wheels.

                    --
                    -wittig http://www.robertwi ttig.com/
                    http://robertwittig .net/
                    http://robertwittig .org/
                    ..

                  • Drmgiver
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 17, 2008
                      Though in all fairness, just so you are not surprised, I have never been
                      able to open anything in WINE no matter what it was.

                      Justin

                      Linux Canuck wrote:

                      > You need to install a program called Wine to run exe files in Linux.
                      > Wine is not an emulator but adds a compatibility layer to Linux so
                      > that you can run some but not all Windows programs. Use the package
                      > manager in Mandriva to install Wine. Then when you click on an exe
                      > file it will load Wine and try to execute the file.
                      >
                      > Roy
                      >
                      > Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                      > Support Open source.
                      > <*,)}}+<
                      > Only dead fish go with the flow!

                    • Frank Newman
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 17, 2008
                        Roy,
                        I do largely agree with you that the more I run Linux, the more I run
                        FOSS software, *BUT *there are some situations where the FOSS solutions
                        are just not up to the task. I maintain a medium size website and have
                        found nothing to compare with Macromedia Dreamweaver or to give me the
                        range of options that I require. Thankfully, Dreamweaver is running
                        under Wine, otherwise I'd have to keep going back to XP.

                        Frank

                        Linux Canuck wrote:

                        > Right you are, but people will do what works for them. In practice the
                        > more they run Linux the less they dual boot, run Wine, run VMs or rely
                        > on proprietary software. They find these things require more time and
                        > effort than they are worth and seek FOSS solutions. They need to get
                        > their foot in the door to make this discovery for themselves. We can
                        > try to tell them, but they need to see it for themselves.
                        >
                        > Roy
                        >
                        > Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                        > Support Open source.
                        > <*,)}}+<
                        > Only dead fish go with the flow!

                      • Linux Canuck
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 19, 2008
                          It sounds like your Wine is not installed properly. Ordinarily Wine should install and then when you click on an exe file type it will be associated with Wine and will launch Wine to execute the file. If it is an installation file then it will install the program in a dummy c drive which is located in your home directory under /.wine/drive_c/. It should setup a menu section called Wine or in some cases it will install the items in the ordinary menus in their proper categories if you are using something like Wine-doors.

                          If Wine is not working like this then go to your package manager and completely remove Wine. Go to getdeb.net and download their Wine which is newer, assuming you are using Ubuntu of course. If not use your package manager to re-install Wine.

                          The maker of Wine is a company called Codeweavers who make versions (Office and Gamer versions) for sale which include extra compatibility. A full list of their products and a database of Windows programs that can be made to work under Linux is on their site. In addition, companies like Google have paid to have some apps such as Photoshop work in Linux to remove barriers to using Linux, but probably more to frustrate Microsoft due to their on-going battles for web supremacy.

                          Depending on your distro there are other tools available such as Wine-Doors and Xwine. These try to make Wine easier to use, but Wine itself has come a long way since I first used it. You can now tune it so that it can mimic various Windows versions such as NT, XP, etc. I think the default is set at Windows 2000, so you need to change this to get better XP compatibility.

                          The best solution aside from dual booting is to set up a VM such as Virtualbox and install and run it inside Linux. This requires three things, a fast processor, lots of RAM and Windows license. When you set this up you get a fully functioning Windows machine running on Linux in which you can share folders, devices, cut and paste, drag and drop and even share the same desktop with separate menu bars, one for Linux and one for Windows. All Windows apps will install and run in the VM, but hardware will only work if it is detected by the host Linux machine.

                          As said earlier, I can run anything on my computer in either Windows or Linux, but seldom bother. Aside from the nuisance factor, I just refuse to accept the need for Windows when Linux has so many benefits and Windows is still Windows and you need to run anti-virus software etc. inside the VM, just as you would when running normally.

                          Windows users note, this is my experience and maybe not yours. It is based on the fact that I almost never use Windows, so my copy is not fresh, nor are my applets such as anti-virus, anti-trojans, and anti-everything. When I boot my XP partition it is such a headache and step back in time that I can hardly bear it. It takes longer to boot, it is longer before I can begin working as it is busy doing endless updates, then it asks me to re-boot every 9 minutes as it has finished some update or another and even after re-booting it may ask a second reboot depending what the update was and I miss Linux features such as the virtual desktops. I have Windows. I paid for it and I don't like it. It is better to bite the bullet and learn how to get the most out of Linux and help developers to produce good open source applications that are what we need because they start with the user instead of marketers. Just my take on dual booting, Wine and VMs.

                          There is only one thing that I can't do in Linux and that is use my music player (8 GB Philips Go Gear) and as a consequence I have scrapped it. My next step is to scrap Windows itself, except I do not need the hard drive space, so it sits idle.

                          Linux Canuck wrote:

                          > You need to install a program called Wine to run exe files in Linux.
                          > Wine is not an emulator but adds a compatibility layer to Linux so
                          > that you can run some but not all Windows programs. Use the package
                          > manager in Mandriva to install Wine. Then when you click on an exe
                          > file it will load Wine and try to execute the file.
                          >
                          > Roy
                          >
                          > Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
                          > Support Open source.
                          > <*,)}}+<
                          > Only dead fish go with the flow!

                        • grant
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 19, 2008
                            first of all thank you for all the help with wine and second of all
                            this group has provided a lot of help sooooo i'm runing ubuntu in
                            virtiul box on windows and i want to put files and other games in
                            virtiual box to test them out and see how they run and how great they
                            work but even my linux genuis that i know has no clue how to put file
                            in virtiual box so please help