Re: [SPAM] Re: [LINUX_Newbies] ubuntu security heelpp

  • Shaun Johnson
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 7, 2007
      If you wish to have a more classic ability to become super user, you can
      run the following:

      sudo su

      You should now be running a root session and have the ability edit what
      you need (with caution of course)

      Brian E Boothe wrote:

      > yes i realize that , thats my issue, how am i supposed to edit webpages
      > on the server and save what Have i gotta do run Sudo "filename" for
      > everthing i wanna run as Root?? so i have to link everything with sudo
      > ? good lord that seems to be a pain in the butt,
      > i love ubuntu EXCEPT for this crap,,, has anyone else ran into this>?
      >
      > Chad Martin wrote:
      > >
      > > Brian E Boothe wrote:
      > > > can someone help me with ubuntu and this security thats in place with
      > > > this distro >? how am i supposed to Edit Apache webpages? it wont
      > let me
      > >
      > > Use sudo. Ubuntu has a part of their webpage dedicated to this issue.
      > >
      > > Chad Martin
      > >

      > > No virus found in this incoming message
      > > Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.14 - 9.070.001).
      > > http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/
      > <http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/>
      >
      > No virus found in this outgoing message
      > Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.14 - 9.070.001).
      > http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/
      > <http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/>

    • Billy R Baldwin
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2007
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Brian E Boothe <subrian@...> wrote:

        > I've developed Websites and Scripts for 14 years I'm pretty Sure i
        > realize that, I,m very accustomed to working with red hat Linux
        >were i
        > just log in as root do what i gotta do and blink I'm done, the
        >delima
        > came when i was Writing PHP backend and it wouldn't copy over to my
        >www
        > apache directory whats soo ever except for my home directory it copies
        > too that works fine but i can't Copy or change a dang thing under
        > /var/www even as logged in as sudo su

        Brian,

        Your permissions for /var/www read how? Since you are accoustomed to
        using a *NIX already, this should be the first place to look. One
        question im not seeing... are you working from the machine remotely?
        I.E. ssh, FTP.. so on? If you issue a sudo -i from the machine
        directly you should have SuperUser powers...(after entering the su
        password that is) If you dont, I would have to say your problems are
        ALOT bigger than just not being able to edit your root directories..