X problem

  • Zonny
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi all,
      I had a RedHat 7.0, on the text installation it went ok, but if I choose the
      graphic installation or start the X win the monitor start to flickers.
      RedHat identify my VGA as a Voodoo Banshee (Generic) and had a 16 mb. I
      don't know if that "generic" had cause problems, I had tried some settings
      (800x600, 640x320,1024*768 all with 60 refresh rate) but still no luck.
      RedHat didn't had my monitor on the list (TVM 5A), so I choose the generic
      monitor. My setting on Win98 are 1024x768 32 bit.
      If there isn't any information, how do you know your vertical & horizontal
      refresh rate ?
      Thanks all

      Regards
      Zonny
    • Chad Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
        Jose Victor A. Martin, Jr. wrote:
        > How do I make the GNOME PANEL appear? It was there before, and now it's
        > not. What did I do to make it disappear?

        Open up a console and issue the command:

        panel &

        I don't know why it happens, but I used to have this problem after a
        fresh install of some older versions of Redhat. It seems to eventually
        figure itself out.

        Chad Martin
      • Jose Victor A. Martin, Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
          Thanks.

          BTW, how do I automatically show the gnome desktop upon starting X? Before
          it was only the panel that disappeared. Now I get only the desktop
          background. I still have to click with the middle button and select
          gnome-desktop from the Windows sub-menu.

          At 01:44 PM 7/31/2003, you wrote:
          >panel &
          >
          >I don't know why it happens, but I used to have this problem after a
          >fresh install of some older versions of Redhat. It seems to eventually
          >figure itself out.

          That's not very reassuring. <g>

          -JVAM