Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Dell could offer Linux as an option !

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2007
      Zale Dowlen wrote:

      > My money is on Suse due to Novell's recent contract with the devil.

      I am putting my money on that Dell does not offer Linux preinstalled at
      all. The most they might do is sell you one with no OS installed.

      Jeanette
    • brbaldw
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2007
        DELL has for a while now offered *NIX as an option on server
        deployments. I am not sure i see the point in offereing a barebone
        system with the disk to install yourself, surely they would want to
        make money on spending the time to customize (DELL-amize?) the
        installation. As they do now with MS.
        At any rate, they will want to profit from it, so they will probably
        buy into several different (as stated before SuSE, Mandriva,
        RH...etc.) distros as a reseller.
        Personally, what is the point? Most of us that use LINUX on a daily
        basis now, either buy a barebone, or build our own, then install our
        choice distro....furthering the "freedom" of choice. I don't see it
        going too well, as most of DELLs' money come from people buying
        machines for enterprise level rollouts with pre installed versions of
        MS, and using sysprep...but... who knows... its all about the $$ for
        them. I have personally bought several servers with SLES for clients
        and turned them on to the security of the backbone, and stability of
        the enterprise level serves... desktops though... MS has the world
        wraped in its simplicity.. and sadly we are the minority...

        thats my $1.25

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Jeanette <russoje@...> wrote:

        > Zale Dowlen wrote:
        > >

        > > My money is on Suse due to Novell's recent contract with the devil.
        > >

        > I am putting my money on that Dell does not offer Linux preinstalled at
        > all. The most they might do is sell you one with no OS installed.
        >
        > Jeanette

      • Graeme Collin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2007
          Actually, Dell has been offering Linux (Red Hat, in fact) as an option on
          both desktops and laptops, within certain sectors, for a good number of
          years now (at least 10, that *I* know of) ... when the company I used to
          work for was taken over by an American company (I'm British, btw), and
          we started getting new PC's in through our corporate agreement, we were
          given the option of Windows 9x, Windows NT, or Red Hat Linux - this was
          on desktops and laptops. Sadly, corporate policy was to go with NT. Sad.

          -Graeme.