[LINUX_Newbies] linux on a compaq m700

  • stefan marinescu
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
      hello group!

      i have an old compaq m700. configuration is: p3@450, 128MB RAM, 10G hdd.

      what linux is better for me? i am not afraid of the black screen (;-)) but it would be nice for a gui...

      p.s. where can i find extra ram for my computer? it seems nobody has spares...
      believed to be clean.

    • Joe Takacs
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Stefan,

        What kind of RAM do you need? I have lots of old RAM laying around.

        stefan marinescu wrote:
        > hello group!
        >
        > i have an old compaq m700. configuration is: p3@450, 128MB RAM, 10G hdd.
        >
        > what linux is better for me? i am not afraid of the black screen (;-)) but it would be nice for a gui...
        >

        > p.s. where can i find extra ram for my computer? it seems nobody has spares...
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
          stefan marinescu wrote:
          > i have an old compaq m700. configuration is: p3@450, 128MB RAM, 10G hdd.
          >
          > what linux is better for me? i am not afraid of the black screen (;-)) but it would be nice for a gui...

          You're going to be best off looking for a distro that has precompiled
          binaries (not a source-based distro), and is highly configurable during
          installation. The reason is that your 10 GB drive will get used up
          quick. I've heard good things about Damn Small Linux. You may want to
          look at that and similar distros at www.distrowatch.com to make your
          decision.

          Chad Martin