Re: ubuntu install

  • egrebenstein
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2007
      I tried installing Ubuntu and had the same problem, even though the
      "live" version ran. I then got OpenSUSE 10.1 and that worked.
    • David M. Patronis
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2007
        On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
        > process.
        > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
        > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
        > use
        > with EMC. Any Help?
        > tek

        If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
        graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
        default like Windows.

        Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
        might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
        experimented with yet.

        David

      • dmyers549
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2007
          Ubuntu suggests at least an 800MHz processor, if memory serves. You
          may be trying to install on too old a system. I tried installing
          Linspire on a 400MHz Pentium II machine with about the same results.
          Clyde

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Patronis"
          <patronis78@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
          > > process.
          > > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
          > > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
          > > use
          > > with EMC. Any Help?
          > > tek
          >
          > If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
          > graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
          > default like Windows.
          >
          > Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
          > might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
          > experimented with yet.
          >
          > David

        • Brad Rogers
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
            On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:42:20 -0000
            "tekwerk" <tekwerk@...> wrote:

            Hello tekwerk,

            > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
            > process. This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red
            > hat, 2nd was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it
            > recommended for use with EMC. Any Help?

            Another thing to try is booting with the "noapic" option, since with
            older motherboards, there can be a lock-up/hang, just as you describe.

            To add options to the boot command usually involves pressing "F1" to
            get to a command prompt. The standard boot message should inform you of
            what to do.

            --
            Regards _
            / ) "The blindingly obvious is

            Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane
            Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses
          • Ian
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
              Are you installing on a formatted drive or on one that has a Win app on it.
              If it is the free CD from ubuntu it should load and offer partition
              formatting automatically.

              Got the ubuntu cd to install on PC and it locks up during the process.
              This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux OS. First was red hat, 2nd
              Was ? Don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for use
              With EMC. Any Help?
              Tek

              To unsubscribe from this list, please email
              LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • jallan69772@sfb14.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
                I am running ubuntu on a 300 MHz Compaq.

                > Ubuntu suggests at least an 800MHz processor, if memory serves. You
                > may be trying to install on too old a system. I tried installing
                > Linspire on a 400MHz Pentium II machine with about the same results.
                > Clyde
                >
                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Patronis"
                > <patronis78@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
                >> > Hi All,
                >> > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
                >> > process.
                >> > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
                >> > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
                >> > use
                >> > with EMC. Any Help?
                >> > tek
                >>
                >> If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
                >> graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
                >> default like Windows.
                >>
                >> Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
                >> might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
                >> experimented with yet.
                >>
                >> David
                >> >

                > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Aberegg Tim
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                  The machine is a HP744, which according to my limited
                  understanding of Linux, should be more than enough.
                  Ubuntu is recommended by EMC, Enhanced Machine
                  Controller, a software program that controls machine
                  movement like a plasma cutting table. I used the cd
                  from Ubuntu and the machine locks up about half way
                  through I would guess. Looks like I need to spend some
                  more time with it, maybe starting with the graphic
                  card. Thanks for the help.
                  Tek

                  --- Ian <igb123@...> wrote:

                  > Are you installing on a formatted drive or on one
                  > that has a Win app on it.
                  > If it is the free CD from ubuntu it should load and
                  > offer partition
                  > formatting automatically.

                  Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                  http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                    On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:45:45AM -0800, Aberegg Tim wrote:
                    > The machine is a HP744, which according to my limited
                    > understanding of Linux, should be more than enough.
                    > Ubuntu is recommended by EMC, Enhanced Machine
                    > Controller, a software program that controls machine
                    > movement like a plasma cutting table. I used the cd
                    > from Ubuntu and the machine locks up about half way
                    > through I would guess. Looks like I need to spend some
                    > more time with it, maybe starting with the graphic
                    > card. Thanks for the help.
                    > Tek

                    What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been terrible on this ever
                    since Edgy, and the latest Feisty experimentals haven't fixed it.

                    Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
                    shallow. Think of all the
                    poor people I could help with all my money.
                  • Aberegg Tim
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2007
                      > What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been
                      > terrible on this ever

                      I don't really know, I'll have to open it up and see.
                      Obvious stupid question: Which ones work and which
                      ones don't?

                      It's here! Your new message!
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2007
                        On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:58:56AM -0800, Aberegg Tim wrote:
                        > > What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been
                        > > terrible on this ever
                        >
                        > I don't really know, I'll have to open it up and see.
                        > Obvious stupid question: Which ones work and which
                        > ones don't?

                        The MGA, the Matrox cards, have been giving a lot of trouble. I believe
                        there are also problems with the ATI cards, at least the older 128 Rage
                        ones, but I'm not sure if they've fixed that.

                        If you have another distribution's liveCD, you can boot up in that (but
                        not one based on Ubuntu) :), for example Elive or Vector and see what
                        card you have--most of them will automatically detect it.

                        Buffy: Okay, well, how long before you un-crypt it?
                        Willow: Hours. Days maybe. Anyone suggesting months would not
                        be accused of crazy talk.