Re: ubuntu install

  • heliovas
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8 2:01 PM
      How exactly does the lockup occur? during the kernel-loading? hard
      ware checking? or when it's copying the files?

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Brian E Boothe <subrian@...> wrote:

      > pop in a "damn small linux distro" it will work on 12MB of ram and
      an 486

    • egrebenstein
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8 3:47 PM
        I tried installing Ubuntu and had the same problem, even though the
        "live" version ran. I then got OpenSUSE 10.1 and that worked.
      • David M. Patronis
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8 4:15 PM
          On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
          > Hi All,
          > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
          > process.
          > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
          > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
          > use
          > with EMC. Any Help?
          > tek

          If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
          graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
          default like Windows.

          Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
          might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
          experimented with yet.

          David

        • dmyers549
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8 6:28 PM
            Ubuntu suggests at least an 800MHz processor, if memory serves. You
            may be trying to install on too old a system. I tried installing
            Linspire on a 400MHz Pentium II machine with about the same results.
            Clyde

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Patronis"
            <patronis78@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
            > > Hi All,
            > > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
            > > process.
            > > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
            > > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
            > > use
            > > with EMC. Any Help?
            > > tek
            >
            > If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
            > graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
            > default like Windows.
            >
            > Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
            > might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
            > experimented with yet.
            >
            > David

          • Brad Rogers
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9 12:15 AM
              On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:42:20 -0000
              "tekwerk" <tekwerk@...> wrote:

              Hello tekwerk,

              > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
              > process. This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red
              > hat, 2nd was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it
              > recommended for use with EMC. Any Help?

              Another thing to try is booting with the "noapic" option, since with
              older motherboards, there can be a lock-up/hang, just as you describe.

              To add options to the boot command usually involves pressing "F1" to
              get to a command prompt. The standard boot message should inform you of
              what to do.

              --
              Regards _
              / ) "The blindingly obvious is

              Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane
              Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses
            • Ian
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9 1:33 AM
                Are you installing on a formatted drive or on one that has a Win app on it.
                If it is the free CD from ubuntu it should load and offer partition
                formatting automatically.

                Got the ubuntu cd to install on PC and it locks up during the process.
                This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux OS. First was red hat, 2nd
                Was ? Don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for use
                With EMC. Any Help?
                Tek

                To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • jallan69772@sfb14.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9 5:30 AM
                  I am running ubuntu on a 300 MHz Compaq.

                  > Ubuntu suggests at least an 800MHz processor, if memory serves. You
                  > may be trying to install on too old a system. I tried installing
                  > Linspire on a 400MHz Pentium II machine with about the same results.
                  > Clyde
                  >
                  > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Patronis"
                  > <patronis78@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:42 +0000, tekwerk wrote:
                  >> > Hi All,
                  >> > Got the ubuntu cd to install on pc and it locks up during the
                  >> > process.
                  >> > This is my 3rd attempt to install a linux os. First was red hat, 2nd
                  >> > was ? don't remember, and now ubuntu because it it recommended for
                  >> > use
                  >> > with EMC. Any Help?
                  >> > tek
                  >>
                  >> If you are using 6.10, try 6.06.1 "LTS". When the latter encounters
                  >> graphical components it doesn't recognise, it installs in VESA mode by
                  >> default like Windows.
                  >>
                  >> Of course the problem may be more profound than that, in which case you
                  >> might have to give up on Ubuntu and try a distro you haven't
                  >> experimented with yet.
                  >>
                  >> David
                  >> >

                  > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                  > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Aberegg Tim
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                    The machine is a HP744, which according to my limited
                    understanding of Linux, should be more than enough.
                    Ubuntu is recommended by EMC, Enhanced Machine
                    Controller, a software program that controls machine
                    movement like a plasma cutting table. I used the cd
                    from Ubuntu and the machine locks up about half way
                    through I would guess. Looks like I need to spend some
                    more time with it, maybe starting with the graphic
                    card. Thanks for the help.
                    Tek

                    --- Ian <igb123@...> wrote:

                    > Are you installing on a formatted drive or on one
                    > that has a Win app on it.
                    > If it is the free CD from ubuntu it should load and
                    > offer partition
                    > formatting automatically.

                    Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                    http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                      On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:45:45AM -0800, Aberegg Tim wrote:
                      > The machine is a HP744, which according to my limited
                      > understanding of Linux, should be more than enough.
                      > Ubuntu is recommended by EMC, Enhanced Machine
                      > Controller, a software program that controls machine
                      > movement like a plasma cutting table. I used the cd
                      > from Ubuntu and the machine locks up about half way
                      > through I would guess. Looks like I need to spend some
                      > more time with it, maybe starting with the graphic
                      > card. Thanks for the help.
                      > Tek

                      What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been terrible on this ever
                      since Edgy, and the latest Feisty experimentals haven't fixed it.

                      Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
                      shallow. Think of all the
                      poor people I could help with all my money.
                    • Aberegg Tim
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2007
                        > What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been
                        > terrible on this ever

                        I don't really know, I'll have to open it up and see.
                        Obvious stupid question: Which ones work and which
                        ones don't?

                        It's here! Your new message!
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2007
                          On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:58:56AM -0800, Aberegg Tim wrote:
                          > > What graphic card do you have? Ubuntu has been
                          > > terrible on this ever
                          >
                          > I don't really know, I'll have to open it up and see.
                          > Obvious stupid question: Which ones work and which
                          > ones don't?

                          The MGA, the Matrox cards, have been giving a lot of trouble. I believe
                          there are also problems with the ATI cards, at least the older 128 Rage
                          ones, but I'm not sure if they've fixed that.

                          If you have another distribution's liveCD, you can boot up in that (but
                          not one based on Ubuntu) :), for example Elive or Vector and see what
                          card you have--most of them will automatically detect it.

                          Buffy: Okay, well, how long before you un-crypt it?
                          Willow: Hours. Days maybe. Anyone suggesting months would not
                          be accused of crazy talk.