Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wi-fi driver

  • Brian E Boothe
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1 9:37 AM
      thats always been a big problem with me and ANY distro of linux,
      Useablity, drivers"a headache", and web Content, java / flash / and the
      like, i don't have 5 hours to dig around sites and recompile
      and cross my fingers, i love linux as a email and web server and
      thats about it,, it's not ready for newbie users at all ,,
    • kenny
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1 5:46 PM
        Brian E Boothe wrote:
        > thats always been a big problem with me and ANY distro of linux,
        > Useablity, drivers"a headache", and web Content, java / flash / and the
        > like, i don't have 5 hours to dig around sites and recompile
        > and cross my fingers, i love linux as a email and web server and
        > thats about it,, it's not ready for newbie users at all ,,
        >

        >>> yes, so do i. I just installed my suse 10.2. But untill now, i can't
        install the java ( .jre) something. I already download the package,
        follow the step in the instruction. But when i do the test page, nothing
        happen. Still don't know what is wrong with the java?

        regards,

        kenny

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Clayton Bonser
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1 11:06 PM
          On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 08:46 +0700, kenny wrote:

          > Brian E Boothe wrote:
          > > thats always been a big problem with me and ANY distro of linux,
          > > Useablity, drivers"a headache", and web Content, java / flash / and the
          > > like, i don't have 5 hours to dig around sites and recompile
          > > and cross my fingers, i love linux as a email and web server and
          > > thats about it,, it's not ready for newbie users at all ,,

          > install the java ( .jre) something. I already download the package,
          > follow the step in the instruction. But when i do the test page, nothing
          > happen. Still don't know what is wrong with the java?
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > kenny

          If this thread is going to be continued, could the subject name be
          changed to java prob. or something. I too am having the same java issues
          and would like to follow any advice offered, but calling it wifi driver
          had me nearly delete this message, as I don't have an interest in this
          area.

          Would be much obliged.
          Clay.

        • Loyal Barber
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2 4:00 PM
            > Brian E Boothe wrote:
            > > thats always been a big problem with me and ANY distro of linux,
            > > Useablity, drivers"a headache", and web Content, java / flash / and
            > > the like, i don't have 5 hours to dig around sites and recompile and
            > > cross my fingers, i love linux as a email and web server and thats
            > > about it,, it's not ready for newbie users at all ,,
            > >

            > yes, so do i. I just installed my suse 10.2. But untill now, i can't
            > install the java ( .jre) something. I already download the package,
            > follow the step in the instruction. But when i do the test page, nothing
            > happen. Still don't know what is wrong with the java?
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > kenny

            OK, guys what you have done here is hijack a thread which is a no-no. If
            you want to start a thread about installing Java, be my guest. Or if you
            want to start a thread whining about how hard Linux is to install, go right
            ahead. However this thread is about Wi-Fi on Linux. Please stay on topic.

            Thanks,
            Loyal
          • John Morony
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2 4:02 PM
              On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 17:06 +1000, Clayton Bonser wrote:
              > On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 08:46 +0700, kenny wrote:
              >
              > > Brian E Boothe wrote:
              > > > thats always been a big problem with me and ANY distro of linux,
              > > > Useablity, drivers"a headache", and web Content, java / flash /
              > and the
              > > > like, i don't have 5 hours to dig around sites and recompile
              > > > and cross my fingers, i love linux as a email and web server and
              > > > thats about it,, it's not ready for newbie users at all ,,

              > can't
              > > install the java ( .jre) something. I already download the package,
              > > follow the step in the instruction. But when i do the test page,
              > nothing
              > > happen. Still don't know what is wrong with the java?
              > >
              > > regards,
              > >
              > > kenny
              > > >

              > If this thread is going to be continued, could the subject name be
              > changed to java prob. or something. I too am having the same java
              > issues
              > and would like to follow any advice offered, but calling it wifi
              > driver
              > had me nearly delete this message, as I don't have an interest in this
              > area.
              >
              > Would be much obliged.
              > Clay.

              I had problems with the JRE install as well. I followed the
              instructions to THE LETTER and nothing worked. You know what the
              problem was? The instructions were wrong. Sun's install page gives an
              instruction to create a symbolic link back to the JRE runtime.
              Unfortunately, in their example, the directory name is wrong.

              <snip>
              Example:
              * If Mozilla is installed in this directory:
              /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/
              * and if the JRE is installed at this directory:
              /usr/java/jre1.5.0
              * Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in
              directory:
              cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins
              * Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the
              Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
              ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7
              /libjavaplugin_oji.so .

              <snip>

              The problem, for me, was the directory name. jre1.5.0 doesn't exist,
              jre1.5.0_10 does. So when I followed the instructions literally, I
              created a symbolic link pointing to nothing. The correct instruction
              is:

              ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_10/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin.oji.so

              Hope this helps...
            • Chad Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4 12:55 PM
                thoorb1 wrote:
                > I recently installed Linux on my Acer laptop and I couldn't get on the
                > internet because the Wi-fi card didn't have a driver. So I tried
                > installing it on my HP laptop and...same thing. I am using Mandriva
                > linux and they both have Broadcom wi-fi chips. Can someone tell me
                > where to find a driver and give me a little help on how to install it?

                Type in

                lspci

                at a command prompt to get the chipset, then Google for the chipset name
                and "linux driver". From there, you'll have to read the installation
                documentation for the driver itself.

                Chad Martin
              • Chad Martin
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4 12:56 PM
                  abhishek misra wrote:
                  > look for madwifi or hostap driver either of them should work

                  Incorrect. MadWifi is only for Atheros-based chipsets. He said he was
                  running a Broadcom.

                  Chad Martin
                • kenny
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4 6:13 PM

                    > I had problems with the JRE install as well. I followed the
                    > instructions to THE LETTER and nothing worked. You know what the
                    > problem was? The instructions were wrong. Sun's install page gives an
                    > instruction to create a symbolic link back to the JRE runtime.
                    > Unfortunately, in their example, the directory name is wrong.
                    >
                    > <snip>
                    > Example:
                    > * If Mozilla is installed in this directory:
                    > /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/
                    > * and if the JRE is installed at this directory:
                    > /usr/java/jre1.5.0
                    > * Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in
                    > directory:
                    > cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins
                    > * Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the
                    > Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
                    > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7
                    > /libjavaplugin_oji.so .
                    >
                    > <snip>
                    >
                    > The problem, for me, was the directory name. jre1.5.0 doesn't exist,
                    > jre1.5.0_10 does. So when I followed the instructions literally, I
                    > created a symbolic link pointing to nothing. The correct instruction
                    > is:
                    >
                    > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_10/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin.oji.so
                    >
                    > Hope this helps...
                    >

                    > .
                    Kenny -- yes, i already do that before but it seems nothing happen. When
                    i do the test page, it still says my firefox haven't installed java. I
                    already also clear my cookies. Is there any tips that i can use? or
                    someting.....

                    thanks,

                    kenny