Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Hyper Terminal in linux

  • Robert C Wittig
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
      m.wilson wrote:

      > Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a router ? I
      > bought it used and the company had gone out of business so I can't
      > even go to their website for documentation. It's a Blitzz 802.11
      > wireless 4 port router.

      Have you tried visiting http://192.168.1.254/ in your browser?

      http://192.168.1.1/ is also worth a try.

      A lot of people modify the router configuration interface IP, by
      changing the port address, if they are using port 80 for hosting web
      servers, so you might want to try hitting the 'reset' button (usually on
      the back or bottom of the router) to restore the factory defaults.

      --
      -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
      . http://robertwittig.net/
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 05:53 -0600, Robert C Wittig wrote:

        > Have you tried visiting http://192.168.1.254/ in your browser?
        >
        > http://192.168.1.1/ is also worth a try.
        >
        > A lot of people modify the router configuration interface IP, by
        > changing the port address, if they are using port 80 for hosting web
        > servers, so you might want to try hitting the 'reset' button (usually
        > on
        > the back or bottom of the router) to restore the factory defaults.

        Or, if you su to root, and do an ifconfig, it should tell you what your
        IP address is on the computer. This should give you a clue as to your
        gateway's (router's) address if it's serving DHCP. Even if it's not, it
        will be in the same IP range and netmask.

        For instance, when i do the ifconfig I get this:
        [root@leviathan Desktop]# ifconfig
        eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:7B:EF:FB:93
        inet addr:10.0.0.11 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
        inet6 addr: fe80::20e:7bff:feef:fb93/64 Scope:Link
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
        RX bytes:7797418 (7.4 MiB) TX bytes:6626707 (6.3 MiB)

        This told me that my IP address is: 10.0.0.11, so logically, trying
        10.0.0.1 would be a good place to start by entering that address into
        mozilla (or similar) to find the router's web interface. In my case,
        I've modified the ip range that I'm using, and the gateway's IP address,
        but this isn't relevant for the time being. Typical ones are what the
        others have mentioned. 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.100 are all
        ones that I've seen on the "consumer level" routers.

        Alternately, if you're using the GUI, there are some apps (depending on
        the distro you're using) that may tell you this. For instance, in
        Mandrake, I can go to the Mandrake control Centre, and in the Network
        and Internet screen, choose "Reconfigure a network interface" and look
        at the "gateway" entry. That's my router's address.

        HTH
        stormi