how to remove only one user from the existing group !!!

  • John Gomez
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hi Guys,

      I need a clarification ... i created a 3 groups and added some users with that group . Nw i want to add only one more user to the existing 3groups "What is the command i hv to use ??" I used "usermod -g" its accepting , but the problem is after going to the 2nd group and i added the same user to this group the same name added the 1st group is disappearing and its coming to the 2nd group ...and if i go the 3rd group its coming to the 3rd group and disappearing from the 2nd group. Pls give me advice how to do this ??

      Next is i wana to remove a particular user from the existig group ..

      I hope guys u will get my question

      Regds'
      John

    • Cameron Simpson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
        On 06Dec2006 03:07, John Gomez <johnbritto_78@...> wrote:
        | I need a clarification ... i created a 3 groups and added some
        | users with that group . Nw i want to add only one more user to the
        | existing 3groups "What is the command i hv to use ??" I used "usermod
        | -g" its accepting , but the problem is after going to the 2nd group
        | and i added the same user to this group the same name added the 1st
        | group is disappearing and its coming to the 2nd group ...and if i go
        | the 3rd group its coming to the 3rd group and disappearing from the 2nd
        | group. Pls give me advice how to do this ??
        |
        | Next is i wana to remove a particular user from the existig group ..

        I just edit the file /etc/group. It's a text file. Go for it!
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
        http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

        You don't have to live on the edge, but you have to know where it is.
        - Scott Lilliott, csl@...
      • Robert C Wittig
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
          Cameron Simpson wrote:
          > On 06Dec2006 03:07, John Gomez <johnbritto_78@...> wrote:
          > | I need a clarification ... i created a 3 groups and added some
          > | users with that group . Nw i want to add only one more user to the
          > | existing 3groups "What is the command i hv to use ??" I used "usermod
          > | -g" its accepting , but the problem is after going to the 2nd group
          > | and i added the same user to this group the same name added the 1st
          > | group is disappearing and its coming to the 2nd group ...and if i go
          > | the 3rd group its coming to the 3rd group and disappearing from the 2nd
          > | group. Pls give me advice how to do this ??
          > |
          > | Next is i wana to remove a particular user from the existig group ..
          >
          > I just edit the file /etc/group. It's a text file. Go for it!

          Read 'man usermod' and you will notice that the '-g' argument changes
          the user's initial login group, while '-G' deals with the user's
          additional groups.

          --
          -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
          . http://robertwittig.net/
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
            > From: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com [mailto:LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com]

            > On Behalf Of John Gomez
            > I need a clarification ... i created a 3 groups and added some users with
            > that group . Nw i want to add only one more user to the existing 3groups
            > "What is the command i hv to use ??" I used "usermod -g" its accepting ,
            > but the problem is after going to the 2nd group and i added the same . . .

            > Regds'
            > John

            I think it is spelled "Regards"

            You are looking for

            usermod -G

            as -g sets the primary group. Please learn to use the man pages: man
            usermod

            Loyal