Re: Installing Firefox on Kubuntu

  • John Russell
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
      I hate to admit this, but I threw in the towel with installing
      Firefox. I did however get Opera 9 installed very easily. The
      difference seemed to be the installable .deb file that it was
      packaged as. The tar.gz Opera install gave me the same greif as
      Firefox. I still intend to figure out how to install tar.gz
      applications, but still, I'm glad to be away from the Konquerer
      browser.

      Also, thanks for the help everybody.

      -John

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John Russell" <jrtcs@...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry I didn't get back to you folks sooner. I'm still out of luck
      > with my Firefox install. I saw a 'deb' command, but I'm not sure
      how
      > to use it. Any further advice?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > -John
      >

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John Russell" <jrtcs@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for all the responses folks. I'll take another crack at
      this
      > > later tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes and what worked.
      > >
      > > -John
      > >
      > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "jontheisguy" <jontheisguy@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Some of the repositories have firefox listed as "mozilla-
      firefox".
      > > > Give that a try. Also you probably also have APT installed.
      So from
      > > > the command line, you could probably do a "apt-get install
      > > > mozilla-firefox".
      > > >
      > > > HTH,
      > > > jontheisguy
      > > >
      > > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John Russell" <jrtcs@>

      > file from

    • Roger Rabbit
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
        It should be in Synaptic. Mine is just listed as 'firefox', but I'm using ubuntu, not kubuntu. Try this, if it doesn't work, I'll boot up a kubuntu livecd and see what I can find out.

        Paste the following code in your terminal:

        sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

        If you don't have nano installed, substitute your favorite editor in there.. For example, sudo kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list

        When prompted for a password, enter your login password. When the configuration document loads, remove the "#" symbols in front of each line that begins with #deb. Save the file and exit (in nano, ctl-o to save, ctl-x to exit).

        Reload synaptic or kynaptic, whichever you are using. Click on the search box, and type in firefox. You should see the firefox package for version 2.0. Click and install.

        Or, if you prefer an easier route, go to

        http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation

        and follow the instructions in the paragraph that matches your kubuntu version. Copy and paste each line, and it will install automatix, which should automatically install firefox for you. Well actually it installs automatix, which is a gui program that allows you to tell it to install firefox for you.

        John Russell <jrtcs@...> wrote: I hate to admit this, but I threw in the towel with installing

        wrote:

        > Sorry I didn't get back to you folks sooner. I'm still out of luck
        > with my Firefox install. I saw a 'deb' command, but I'm not sure
        how
        > to use it. Any further advice?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > -John
        >

        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John Russell" <jrtcs@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for all the responses folks. I'll take another crack at
        this
        > > later tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes and what worked.
        > >
        > > -John
        > >
        > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "jontheisguy" <jontheisguy@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Some of the repositories have firefox listed as "mozilla-
        firefox".
        > > > Give that a try. Also you probably also have APT installed.
        So from
        > > > the command line, you could probably do a "apt-get install
        > > > mozilla-firefox".
        > > >
        > > > HTH,
        > > > jontheisguy
        > > >
        > > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John Russell" <jrtcs@>

        > file from

      • Roger Rabbit
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
          One other thing... You might want to run the following immediately after editing your sources.list file and removing the hashes (#) on the deb lines.

          sudo apt-get update

          This will update your databases for apt-get, not your actual programs. It only takes a couple of minutes for your system to do.