Samba and Windows Shares

  • term69inator
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      I'm obviously new to Linux/Samba, although I'm experienced with Windows
      technologies. I understand how to set-up a Samba server that services
      Windows clients, but is the opposite also possible? Can I view shared
      folders on a Windows Client from my linux machine? Being able to do so
      would be a big help.
    • stormi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
        Any folder that you have shared on a windows box can be accessed with
        the following command:

        smbmount //name_of_windows_box/share_folder_name /path/to/folder/on/local/machine/to/mount/share/to

        The local folder must exist.

        perhaps you can automate this in a script, or similar...

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
          On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:24:44PM +0000, term69inator wrote:
          > I'm obviously new to Linux/Samba, although I'm experienced with Windows
          > technologies. I understand how to set-up a Samba server that services
          > Windows clients, but is the opposite also possible? Can I view shared
          > folders on a Windows Client from my linux machine? Being able to do so
          > would be a big help.

          Yes, there are various ways.

          Many of the more newcomer friendly versions of Linux will do it almost
          automagically.

          Let us know what version of Linux you're using and what window manager,
          that is, if you're using Fedora, Ubuntu or whatever, and if you're using
          KDE, Gnome or something else.

          In general, with many of the distros, an entry is added to your
          /etc/fstab file and the shares will be visible on the desktop.

          If you're running a less newcomer friendly distribution, it's a little
          more work, but not much. NTFS shares might be read only (I've been
          using FreeBSD much more than Linux these days, so I'm not sure where
          NTFS is at with Linux--someone can certainly confirm or correct me on
          that.) If that's still the case (that NTFS is read only) you can
          hopefully (if you have disk space) make a Fat32 partition to share the
          files.

          So, let's start with you telling us what Linux distribution you're
          running and the window manager.

          Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
          surveillance.
          Willow: Including the secret lab?
          Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?
        • prashanth
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
            On 11/4/06, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

            > >Can I view shared
            > > folders on a Windows Client from my linux machine?

            This question clearly states that he want to mount a windows
            files(remote) in GNU.

            > If you're running a less newcomer friendly distribution, it's a little
            > more work, but not much. NTFS shares might be read only (I've been
            > using FreeBSD much more than Linux these days, so I'm not sure where
            > NTFS is at with Linux--someone can certainly confirm or correct me on
            > that.) If that's still the case (that NTFS is read only) you can
            > hopefully (if you have disk space) make a Fat32 partition to share the
            > files.

            so my dear friend Scott Robbins read the question and understand
            before u start answering. I haven't used it but i hope that this
            http://linux.unimelb.edu.au/server/course/fc3/samba.html will help u.
            --
            |Prashanth|
            |B.Tech|