Reformatting hard drive

  • Timothy L. Bassey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi, I had a crash on my computer. Some one suggested that i wipe the
      drive clean and start over. so, using the disk that came with the
      hardrive I did just that. Reformatted the drive and set it up for
      Win2000. I then started to install Blag 50002. It stops at the format
      the hard drive stage. Okay what did I do wrong?
    • jontheisguy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Tim,
        I would suggest appending some minimum kernel boot
        time options. Generally the kernel is "preloaded"
        with boot options that work for most, but with some
        systems it is best to disable some kernel items (i.e.
        APIC).

        The information that you have provided is basic but
        good... are you trying to make a dual-boot system, or
        just install BLAG? Generally with LiveCDs, they will
        run from the cdrom drive and not require installation
        although installation is an option with some.

        jontheisguy

        Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
        (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
      • burtiebob
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hi

          I'm having similar but different problems, try downloading 'insert
          security' live CD it's only ~50MB and has got some good tools to help
          you out.

          photorec -- to recover files from a harddrive
          gparted -- to partition your drive ready for a clean install

          hope this helps

          Mark

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy L. Bassey"
          <timmy_bassey@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I had a crash on my computer. Some one suggested that i wipe the
          > drive clean and start over. so, using the disk that came with the
          > hardrive I did just that. Reformatted the drive and set it up for
          > Win2000. I then started to install Blag 50002. It stops at the format
          > the hard drive stage. Okay what did I do wrong?

        • Timothy Bassey
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hi, I found out what my problem was. I had some bad
            memory. It was simply not allowing me to do anything
            more than what I did. I am temporarily down to 256
            meg. of memory but the distro installed to hardisk.