Re: [LINUX_Newbies] ubuntu

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
      Has taken 63.14gb of the 120gb HD and 56.75gb for the swat file from a
      120gb HD

      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 6, 2006
        It 5.10 I think. Has KDE and Gnome. I don't think my system old, 1024 Ram,
        AMD 64 processor.

        Do I not pay import duty in the UK.

        On Friday 06 October 2006 21:48, Bruce Kemp wrote:
        > I missed out on what your computer has in it. Ubuntu needs at least
        > 192MB of ram. To instal, it needs at least 5GB of disk.
        > Bruce
        >
        > Ian wrote:
        > > OK but I would prefer to use what I now have on disk. What is wrong that
        > > it does not works on my Computer.

        It would help to know which version of Ubuntu you are trying. The newer
        versions install from the Live CD, so I'm guessing that you have an older
        version.

        There is a lighter version of Ubuntu for older systems called Xubuntu, it
        uses
        the xfce desktop instead of KDE or Gnome.

        As a heads up, you should never pay for Ubuntu. They have a policy of
        shipping
        a free CD to anywhere in the world, free shipping too. Check the web site
        www.ubuntu.com. Shipit link on the right.

        Steve

        To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jon
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 7, 2006
          Ian,
          Another things to consider is that if you have an x86_64 architecture,
          that is now a seperate LiveCD from the Intel x86 "defualt" disk. With
          some distros, the x86 LiveCD *will not* install on a x86_64. Make
          sure you match up when using an AMD 64 processor (like me :)

          jontheisguy

          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 8, 2006
            Hi Jon.

            I had downloaded 6.10 but it was bigger than my 700mg CD/R's so could not
            burn. I do not have a DVD/RW drive.

            Another things to consider is that if you have an x86_64 architecture,
            that is now a seperate LiveCD from the Intel x86 "defualt" disk. With
            some distros, the x86 LiveCD *will not* install on a x86_64. Make
            sure you match up when using an AMD 64 processor (like me :)

            jontheisguy

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <igb123@...> wrote:

            > It 5.10 I think. Has KDE and Gnome. I don't think my system old,
            1024 Ram,
            > AMD 64 processor.
            >
            > Do I not pay import duty in the UK.

            To unsubscribe from this list, please email
            LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ian Betts
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 11, 2006
              Well at last I have ubuntu on my slave drive.

              As you know I tried downloading and burning, no good. CDs to small.

              Then bought from eBay, No good. It was version 5.10 and would not load.

              Now I ordered free from ubuntu and version 6.06 arrived without import duty.

              It worked.

              Now two questions please.

              I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will it on Linux?

              Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR entries. How can
              I delete the unneeded one?

              --
              Ian

              If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
              enemies.

              Moshe Dayan

            • Steve Saxon
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 11, 2006
                Hi Ian,

                Gald you finally got it working.

                On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:54, Ian Betts wrote:
                > Well at last I have ubuntu on my slave drive.
                >
                > As you know I tried downloading and burning, no good. CDs to small.
                >
                > Then bought from eBay, No good. It was version 5.10 and would not load.
                >
                > Now I ordered free from ubuntu and version 6.06 arrived without import
                > duty.
                >
                > It worked.
                >
                > Now two questions please.
                >
                > I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will it on
                > Linux?

                Can't help you here, but the TalkTalk disk will be Window's software so won't
                work on Linux. TalkTalk will tell you they don't "support" Linux, but Linux
                will work. You have to configure your Internet connection yourself.

                Other list members should be able to help you. let us know if you are on Dial
                Up or Broadband (ADSL). I use cable so the set up is different, I've never
                had to set up dial up or ADSL under Linux.

                > Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR entries. How
                > can I delete the unneeded one?

                For this you need to edit the Grub config file, /boot/grub/menu.lst in Ubuntu.

                Ubuntu have an excellent Grub How To at this link:-

                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

                Ubuntu has some of the most straightforward online documentation I've seen.

                Let us know how you get on.

                Steve
              • Chad Martin
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Ian Betts wrote:
                  > I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will it on Linux?

                  Nope. Linux is a completely different beast. Windows drivers are not
                  compatible with Linux because they're different kernels. Windows
                  executables are not compatible with Linux, either, at least not without
                  an emulator that runs natively in Linux.

                  > Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR entries. How can
                  > I delete the unneeded one?

                  One suggestion on posting questions to mailing lists: Don't post
                  conclusions only. How do you know you have two MBR entries? What do
                  you see? It may turn out that the explanation for what's happening is
                  different than what you think. I've made this mistake in the past, and
                  it just took longer to figure out the problem.

                  Chad Martin
                • Horror Vacui
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 11, 2006
                    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:54:14 +0100
                    "Ian Betts" <ian.betts@...> wrote:

                    > As you know I tried downloading and burning, no good. CDs to small.

                    Shouldn't happen. Most probably you burned it wrong - tried to burn it as a
                    file to the CD, instead of selecting the option to burn an .iso file. The .iso
                    is an image - it is supposed to be written raw to a cd. When you burn it as a
                    file, your burning program wraps it up into another image, with two effects:
                    1)it gets larger, possibly too large, and 2) even if it fits, it won't boot

                    > Now I ordered free from ubuntu and version 6.06 arrived without import duty.

                    That's what you should have done first.

                    > It worked.
                    >
                    > Now two questions please.
                    >
                    > I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will it on Linux?

                    Er, generally the ISP's will supply a bogus "installation CD" (some will also
                    insist on it being absolutely crucial, the internet access not working without
                    it) - the disc does nothing but configure a couple of Windows parametres.
                    WINDOWS parametres, mind. So no, it probably won't work on Linux.

                    To get your internet access to work, describe here what you've got - the type
                    of modem, how you access the 'net from Windows etc... Getting such things
                    working is quite a no-brainer nowadays, chances are you can be helped...

                    > Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR entries. How can
                    > I delete the unneeded one?

                    Watch your terminology. I could bet you really meant to say you can select two
                    "Linux" entries when booting your PC. That's NOT a double MBR entry. By
                    throwing such termini about you're quite likely to be misunderstood and
                    perhaps get a wrong advice. Deservedly, I venture to say ;) It's always better
                    to state the problem as clearly as possible. "Describe the problem, not the
                    solution" is the maxim in such forums - meaning to say, your attempted
                    solution might be complete bollocks, and simply stating what you want to
                    happen and what happens instead enables people to propose a whole bunch of
                    ways to attack the problem.

                    Cheers

                    --
                    Horror Vacui

                    War Is Peace
                    Freedom Is Slavery
                    Ignorance Is Strength
                  • Ian Betts
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 11, 2006
                      OK folks, thanks for replying. Have patience with this old idiot please.

                      I use a Sagum Fast 800 modem through USB for internet connection.

                      I have learnt Linux prefer network connectors. Am I right in that because
                      this modem does not have one.

                      Having first installed Ubuntu 5.10 and then 6.06 on my slave drive when I
                      boot I see a list that contains the 6.06 list, my XP and the 5.10 list. How
                      can I remove the 5.10 entry?

                      I will try hard not to use Window word here?

                      --
                      Ian

                      If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
                      enemies.

                      Moshe Dayan

                    • Robert C Wittig
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Ian Betts wrote:
                        > OK folks, thanks for replying. Have patience with this old idiot please.
                        >
                        > I use a Sagum Fast 800 modem through USB for internet connection.
                        >
                        > I have learnt Linux prefer network connectors. Am I right in that because
                        > this modem does not have one.

                        First... make sure you spell things correctly... it is Sagem.

                        If Google had not suggested the correct spelling, I would have been
                        unable to locate the manufacturers website:

                        http://www.sagem.com/index.php?id=182&L=0

                        Remember... Google is your friend.

                        By adding the word 'linux' to the correctly spelled name of the modem,
                        and running that through Google, I was able to find a page titled:

                        'SAGEM Fast 800 Success story' ...which is at:

                        http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=202072

                        I did not take time to read the article, but the title suggest that you
                        might find it useful... in spite of the very first sentence in the
                        article stating:

                        "Browsing this forum I've read a number of horror stories regarding this
                        dreaded piece of hardware, namely the "Sagem Fast 800" USB ADSL. I'm
                        frankly surprised of Reading about so many trouble and since I have it
                        working both on Red Hat 9 and Slack-ware 9.1 (my ISP is Telecom Italia),
                        I've decided to put some order on the issue."

                        > Having first installed Ubuntu 5.10 and then 6.06 on my slave drive when I
                        > boot I see a list that contains the 6.06 list, my XP and the 5.10 list. How
                        > can I remove the 5.10 entry?

                        By editing whichever config file your bootloader (LILO, Grub, whatever)
                        is using. Read the man page for the bootloader.

                        > I will try hard not to use Window word here?

                        This should not be an issue, because the bootloader is on a *nix
                        partition, and therefore, inaccessible to Windows, but yes, when editing
                        config files, use a text editor, like vi, because you do not want to
                        leave text formatting characters (produced by office-type apps, to give
                        you nice fonts, etc.) in a config file.

                        If this is your Windows bootloader you are referring to, that you want
                        to modify, that too can be done by editing a text file, from insode
                        Windows, using notepad.exe.

                        Personally, being extremely lazy, I do not usually bother to erase
                        unneeded entries in boot loaders... I just remember that they don't go
                        anywhere, and so I don't bother using them.

                        --
                        -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                        . http://robertwittig.net/
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                          I have ubuntu 606 Dapper Drake on my slave drive and XP on the master
                          and all working from a Netgear router OK.

                          I also have this bistro on one computer with 7 others on a network
                          from a router and hub. I just cannot get the ubuntu connected to this
                          network.

                          Any plain language advice would help.

                          --
                          IGB
                        • Ian Betts
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                            Did not say, sorry Bruce. Mine has 1024 and it works fine. The other
                            has 512 and does not, both seem large enough to me?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                              Why get Fedora what I have a fullt working unbuto????

                              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Andy.Pagin@... wrote:

                              > Why not just download Fedora Core 5 and burn it to CD?
                              >
                              > Fedora's stable and easy to use and of course avaible as a CD
                              download -
                              > see http://www.redhat.com/fedora/
                              >
                              > thanks
                              >
                              > Andy.

                            • Ian Betts
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                I have the higher version which was shipped, thank you.

                                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saxon <stephen.saxon@...>
                                wrote:

                                > On Friday 06 October 2006 21:48, Bruce Kemp wrote:
                                > > I missed out on what your computer has in it. Ubuntu needs at
                                least
                                > > 192MB of ram. To instal, it needs at least 5GB of disk.
                                > > Bruce
                                > >
                                > > Ian wrote:
                                > > > OK but I would prefer to use what I now have on disk. What is
                                wrong that
                                > > > it does not works on my Computer.
                                >

                                > It would help to know which version of Ubuntu you are trying. The
                                newer
                                > versions install from the Live CD, so I'm guessing that you have an
                                older
                                > version.
                                >
                                > There is a lighter version of Ubuntu for older systems called
                                Xubuntu, it uses
                                > the xfce desktop instead of KDE or Gnome.
                                >
                                > As a heads up, you should never pay for Ubuntu. They have a policy
                                of shipping
                                > a free CD to anywhere in the world, free shipping too. Check the
                                web site
                                > www.ubuntu.com. Shipit link on the right.
                                >

                                > Steve

                              • Ian Betts
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                  Thanks I have 64 Amd on mine but the one's on the big network only
                                  have 86 so that could be the reason. I will load the other disk and try.

                                  -- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "jon" <jontheisguy@...> wrote:

                                  > Ian,
                                  > Another things to consider is that if you have an x86_64 architecture,
                                  > that is now a seperate LiveCD from the Intel x86 "defualt" disk. With
                                  > some distros, the x86 LiveCD *will not* install on a x86_64. Make
                                  > sure you match up when using an AMD 64 processor (like me :)
                                  >
                                  > jontheisguy

                                • Ian Betts
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                    I must just say that it is hard to follow links when someone jumps in
                                    with a different subject stream and the answers.

                                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <igb123@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Jon.
                                    >
                                    > I had downloaded 6.10 but it was bigger than my 700mg CD/R's so
                                    could not
                                    > burn. I do not have a DVD/RW drive.

                                  • Ian Betts
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <igb123@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Jon.
                                      >
                                      > I had downloaded 6.10 but it was bigger than my 700mg CD/R's so
                                      could not
                                      > burn. I do not have a DVD/RW drive.

                                    • Ian Betts
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                        Thanks Steve I was lucky and got a Netgear DG834G loccaly fro £20.
                                        The guy had changed to Sky and only had the Netgear router 3 months.

                                        Thanks for the link, I will go look and hopfully change Grub

                                        Ian
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi Ian,
                                        >
                                        > Gald you finally got it working.
                                        >
                                        > On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:54, Ian Betts wrote:
                                        > > Well at last I have ubuntu on my slave drive.
                                        > >
                                        > > As you know I tried downloading and burning, no good. CDs to
                                        small.

                                        > > Then bought from eBay, No good. It was version 5.10 and would not
                                        load.

                                        > > Now I ordered free from ubuntu and version 6.06 arrived without
                                        import
                                        > > duty.
                                        > >
                                        > > It worked.
                                        > >
                                        > > Now two questions please.
                                        > >
                                        > > I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will
                                        it on
                                        > > Linux?
                                        >
                                        > Can't help you here, but the TalkTalk disk will be Window's
                                        software so won't
                                        > work on Linux. TalkTalk will tell you they don't "support" Linux,
                                        but Linux
                                        > will work. You have to configure your Internet connection yourself.
                                        >
                                        > Other list members should be able to help you. let us know if you
                                        are on Dial
                                        > Up or Broadband (ADSL). I use cable so the set up is different,
                                        I've never
                                        > had to set up dial up or ADSL under Linux.
                                        >

                                        > > Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR
                                        entries. How
                                        > > can I delete the unneeded one?
                                        >
                                        > For this you need to edit the Grub config file, /boot/grub/menu.lst
                                        in Ubuntu.

                                        > Ubuntu have an excellent Grub How To at this link:-
                                        >
                                        > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
                                        >
                                        > Ubuntu has some of the most straightforward online documentation
                                        I've seen.

                                        > Let us know how you get on.
                                        >
                                        > Steve

                                      • Ian Betts
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                          -- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig
                                          <wittig.robert@...> wrote:

                                          > Ian Betts wrote:
                                          > > OK folks, thanks for replying. Have patience with this old idiot
                                          please.

                                          > > I use a Sagum Fast 800 modem through USB for internet connection.
                                          > >
                                          > > I have learnt Linux prefer network connectors. Am I right in that
                                          because
                                          > > this modem does not have one.
                                          > >

                                          > First... make sure you spell things correctly... it is Sagem.
                                          >
                                          > If Google had not suggested the correct spelling, I would have been
                                          > unable to locate the manufacturers website:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.sagem.com/index.php?id=182&L=0
                                          >
                                          > Remember... Google is your friend.
                                          >
                                          > By adding the word 'linux' to the correctly spelled name of the
                                          modem,
                                          > and running that through Google, I was able to find a page titled:
                                          >
                                          > 'SAGEM Fast 800 Success story' ...which is at:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=202072
                                          >
                                          > I did not take time to read the article, but the title suggest that
                                          you
                                          > might find it useful... in spite of the very first sentence in the
                                          > article stating:
                                          >
                                          > "Browsing this forum I've read a number of horror stories regarding
                                          this
                                          > dreaded piece of hardware, namely the "Sagem Fast 800" USB ADSL.
                                          I'm
                                          > frankly surprised of Reading about so many trouble and since I have
                                          it
                                          > working both on Red Hat 9 and Slack-ware 9.1 (my ISP is Telecom
                                          Italia),
                                          > I've decided to put some order on the issue."
                                          >
                                          > > Having first installed Ubuntu 5.10 and then 6.06 on my slave
                                          drive when I
                                          > > boot I see a list that contains the 6.06 list, my XP and the 5.10
                                          list. How
                                          > > can I remove the 5.10 entry?
                                          > >

                                          > By editing whichever config file your bootloader (LILO, Grub,
                                          whatever)
                                          > is using. Read the man page for the bootloader.
                                          >
                                          > > I will try hard not to use Window word here?
                                          > >

                                          > This should not be an issue, because the bootloader is on a *nix
                                          > partition, and therefore, inaccessible to Windows, but yes, when
                                          editing
                                          > config files, use a text editor, like vi, because you do not want
                                          > leave text formatting characters (produced by office-type apps, to
                                          give
                                          > you nice fonts, etc.) in a config file.
                                          >
                                          > If this is your Windows bootloader you are referring to, that you
                                          want
                                          > to modify, that too can be done by editing a text file, from insode
                                          > Windows, using notepad.exe.
                                          >
                                          > Personally, being extremely lazy, I do not usually bother to erase
                                          > unneeded entries in boot loaders... I just remember that they don't
                                          go
                                          > anywhere, and so I don't bother using them.

                                          Well I will ignore your comment on my typo. If you do not recognise a
                                          well known trade name you will I guess have to rely on a well know
                                          search engine. I use Copernic myself.

                                          Is not the bootloader on my master drive and Grub also? I know how to
                                          modify the XP boot loader but not the Linux one which is much more
                                          Terminal intensive I think.
                                        • Ian Betts
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
                                            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Betts" <ian.betts@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Thanks Steve I was lucky and got a Netgear DG834G loccaly fro £20.
                                            > The guy had changed to Sky and only had the Netgear router 3 months.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for the link, I will go look and hopfully change Grub
                                            >

                                            > Ian
                                            > -- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saxon <stephen.saxon@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Ian,
                                            > >
                                            > > Gald you finally got it working.
                                            > >
                                            > > On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:54, Ian Betts wrote:
                                            > > > Well at last I have ubuntu on my slave drive.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > As you know I tried downloading and burning, no good. CDs to
                                            > small.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Then bought from eBay, No good. It was version 5.10 and would
                                            not
                                            > load.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Now I ordered free from ubuntu and version 6.06 arrived without
                                            > import
                                            > > > duty.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > It worked.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Now two questions please.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I cannot get my TalkTalk ISP disk to work to load drivers. Will
                                            > it on
                                            > > > Linux?
                                            > >
                                            > > Can't help you here, but the TalkTalk disk will be Window's
                                            > software so won't
                                            > > work on Linux. TalkTalk will tell you they don't "support" Linux,
                                            > but Linux
                                            > > will work. You have to configure your Internet connection
                                            yourself.

                                            > > Other list members should be able to help you. let us know if you
                                            > are on Dial
                                            > > Up or Broadband (ADSL). I use cable so the set up is different,
                                            > I've never
                                            > > had to set up dial up or ADSL under Linux.
                                            > >

                                            > > > Also after trying to load 5.10 I am left with two Linux MBR
                                            > entries. How
                                            > > > can I delete the unneeded one?
                                            > >
                                            > > For this you need to edit the Grub config
                                            file, /boot/grub/menu.lst
                                            > in Ubuntu.
                                            > >
                                            > > Ubuntu have an excellent Grub How To at this link:-
                                            > >
                                            > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
                                            > >
                                            > > Ubuntu has some of the most straightforward online documentation
                                            > I've seen.
                                            > >
                                            > > Let us know how you get on.
                                            > >
                                            > > Steve

                                            Well I printed off the Grub how to sight but do not wholly understand
                                            it. Its a new learning curve for me still.
                                          • Frederick Bvalani
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 8, 2010
                                              Roy,

                                              I agree with your points. Actually your points on piracy are thought provoking for someone like me.

                                              I especially like ur last paragraph, I wish the guys at Canonical could consider something like that.

                                              Fred

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 8, 2010
                                                I think that Linux is the perfect antidote for piracy. Once that you see how
                                                good Linux is and that there is no need to pirate (except for fun -- like
                                                catch and release sport fishing), then you can just let it go. I started
                                                cracking C64 games (and I am no gamer). It was just a challenge that was too
                                                good to pass up.

                                                I have not booted into Windows on my computers for over a year. I had a free
                                                license for Windows 7 that I never even tried. I still remember how to get
                                                cracked software, but there is no fun in it anymore. Windows is behind me
                                                now. People still ask me to fix their Windows boxes, but it is harder each
                                                year because there is no enthusiasm in it.

                                                It is different in the third world. Their introduction into computing is
                                                often on pirated copies of Windows and without access to it then they would
                                                not be able to use computers at all. Many of these countries produce
                                                programmers that later give back what they stole. There has to be a better
                                                system. Fortunately there is but there are impediments as the user from
                                                Malawi said. Linux is more dependent on having an internet connection.

                                                Since it is not sold in stores, the internet has become the distribution
                                                channel. Developers need to re-think some of this and offer alternatives to
                                                third world countries. They should sponsor LUGs in these countries and make
                                                disks and internet access available. This costs money so we need to resolve
                                                that. Perhaps it could be offered on DVDs at a series of longer intervals
                                                like with each LTS release of Ubuntu or every even numbered Fedora release.
                                                Include on the DVDs lots of apps and their dependencies.

                                                We also need to work with education bodies in the third world to get to
                                                users at an early age. OLPC was a good initiative, but Microsoft killed it
                                                off because they did not want Linux given to the masses. They would rather
                                                users not have computers than have them use Linux.

                                                Roy