Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Wanna.bee

  • Jeanette Russo
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Rachel Goren <rchlgoren@...>
      To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:24:42 PM
      Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Wanna.bee

      Greetings All,

      I am a Linux wannabee.

      I would like to put Linux on an old Pentium 2 computer, which currently has Windows 98 on it now. I would like to keep the Windows 98, and thus have 2 operating systems on the computer.

      Does anyone have any recommendations of an easy way for me to install Linux on this computer from the Internet?

      Best Wishes
      Rachel

      I would be helpful to know what the processor speed, RAM amount and disc capacity is of this PC. How much free space is there on you windows partition.
      The easiest way is to use a live CDROM but you should have at least 128 mb of ram to run them live.

      The ones with the lowest requirements would be damn small linux, puppy linux, and elive.
      These can also be installed to the hard drive there are different methods of doing this best described on the distros web site since they may vary.

      If you have a faster P2 and a good amount of ram more then 256 you can run a full distro from the hard drive that has a lighter foot print, like slackware or debian or xubuntu.

      To run a full distro from the hard drive you will need to shrink your windows partition with a utility such as partition magic, not free. or gparted which is free. Some distros have this ability. Then you would install linux into the freespace.

      If you have valuable data on your hard drive be sure to back up as paritioning is major surgery and things can go wrong.

      Hope this helps a little its a broad question.

      Jeanette

    • Brian Boothe
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        HI rachel

        Well basicly u can do this two ways, repartition(split) your HD u
        currently have now into 4 partitions,with a drive partition software (1)
        Win98(yuk) (2)backup for win / programs etc (3) Main Linux Partition (4)
        Linux swap File (around 200MB swap file) and Install Boot from your Linux
        CD Install linux onto 3 and 4

        But the MOST easiest WAYS is to go get DSL linux burn the image onto a CD
        and boot from that CD,, it will not interfere with any of your WIN98
        Stuff

        It runs from the CD u may not like linux,
        http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ go here to get DSL linux I can
        help u set it up I love it

        _____

        I would like to put Linux on an old Pentium 2 computer, which currently has
        Windows 98 on it now. I would like to keep the Windows 98, and thus have 2
        operating systems on the computer.

        Does anyone have any recommendations of an easy way for me to install Linux
        on this computer from the Internet?

        As I understand it, there are Linux freeware programs on the Internet. I
        also understand there are several different versions of Linux. At this
        point, I would like to find the easiest way to install a good Linux program
        from the Internet. Any suggestions?

        Best Wishes
        Rachel

      • Brian Boothe
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          Go get DSL linux based on debian linux Knoppix it soo easy ,,,,,

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
            Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
            up a Gateway / Firewall

            _____

            Go get DSL linux based on debian linux Knoppix it soo easy ,,,,,
            http://www.damnsmal <http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/> llinux.org/

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
              HI all Im running DSL linux and I wanna bet able to make a router / firewall
              From it, I know im going to need Two Ethernet Cards, But can someone please
              aid me in getting everything else on what I need to do ,, thanks

            • Bill M.
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                Brian,

                > DSL Gateway Firewall
                > Posted by: "Brian Boothe" subrian@... codemage67
                > Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 2:06 pm (PDT)
                >
                > Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
                > up a Gateway / Firewall

                Make your life easier! Check out a Linux distribution completely
                designed for use as a firewall. I've been using a completely plug-n-play
                system installed on an old Pentium 1-166 for a number of years. I have a
                number of PCs running Linux and Windows 2000 and XP behind the firewall
                box and they have all been great over the years. Check out
                http://smoothwall.org
                and do a quick download of the bootable install CD (20+ MB ISO image
                file.) Burn the ISO to a CD with your CD burning software, and boot the
                PC with the CD as the first boot device. Installing this software
                completely wipes the hard drive of the system used - so some older,
                unneeded hardware is needed. RAM requirements are pretty low, 64 MB will
                do, more is a bit better. Hard drive needs are pretty minimal too.

                Smoothwall gives you a firewall with IPTables, an Intrusion Detection
                System (IDS) with Snort, NAT (Network Address Translation) with DHCP, a
                VPN, proxy support with Squid, a web server (Apache) in a DMZ, and much
                more. All open source components. Lots of easy-to-follow documentation
                (in PDF format) available as well as forum support. Configuration after
                the initial setup/reboot is done via a web interface from a client PC
                (Windows or Linux) to the web server of the firewall box off the "GREEN"
                network.

                Setup is easy: cable modem comes in plugs into the "RED" (or unsafe,
                open to Internet) NIC. Another cable for the "GREEN" NIC (safe, home
                network) plugs into a switch that all the other house systems plug into.
                Everyone behind the firewall on the GREEN network gets a 192.168.10.xxx
                address given to them by the Smoothwall box's DHCP server. The outside
                world, of course, never sees these internal addresses--only the
                addressed supplied to the RED NIC by the cable modem connection to the
                digital cable network.

                You can also check out another firewall distribution called IPCop -
                pretty similar to Smoothwall, but also supports a wireless sub-network
                as part of the installation (with a third or fourth NIC.)

                I hope this helps!

                -*-Bill
              • Joe Takacs
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Bill,

                  On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                  (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                  distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                  connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).

                  I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                  hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?

                  Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?

                  Thanks,

                  Joe Takacs

                  Bill M. wrote:
                  > Brian,
                  >
                  >> DSL Gateway Firewall
                  >> Posted by: "Brian Boothe" subrian@... codemage67
                  >> Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 2:06 pm (PDT)
                  >>
                  >> Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
                  >> up a Gateway / Firewall
                  >
                  > Make your life easier! Check out a Linux distribution completely
                  > designed for use as a firewall. I've been using a completely plug-n-play
                  > system installed on an old Pentium 1-166 for a number of years. I have a
                  > number of PCs running Linux and Windows 2000 and XP behind the firewall
                  > box and they have all been great over the years. Check out
                  > http://smoothwall.org
                  > and do a quick download of the bootable install CD (20+ MB ISO image
                  > file.) Burn the ISO to a CD with your CD burning software, and boot the
                  > PC with the CD as the first boot device. Installing this software
                  > completely wipes the hard drive of the system used - so some older,
                  > unneeded hardware is needed. RAM requirements are pretty low, 64 MB will
                  > do, more is a bit better. Hard drive needs are pretty minimal too.
                  >
                  > Smoothwall gives you a firewall with IPTables, an Intrusion Detection
                  > System (IDS) with Snort, NAT (Network Address Translation) with DHCP, a
                  > VPN, proxy support with Squid, a web server (Apache) in a DMZ, and much
                  > more. All open source components. Lots of easy-to-follow documentation
                  > (in PDF format) available as well as forum support. Configuration after
                  > the initial setup/reboot is done via a web interface from a client PC
                  > (Windows or Linux) to the web server of the firewall box off the "GREEN"
                  > network.
                  >
                  > Setup is easy: cable modem comes in plugs into the "RED" (or unsafe,
                  > open to Internet) NIC. Another cable for the "GREEN" NIC (safe, home
                  > network) plugs into a switch that all the other house systems plug into.
                  > Everyone behind the firewall on the GREEN network gets a 192.168.10.xxx
                  > address given to them by the Smoothwall box's DHCP server. The outside
                  > world, of course, never sees these internal addresses--only the
                  > addressed supplied to the RED NIC by the cable modem connection to the
                  > digital cable network.
                  >
                  > You can also check out another firewall distribution called IPCop -
                  > pretty similar to Smoothwall, but also supports a wireless sub-network
                  > as part of the installation (with a third or fourth NIC.)
                  >
                  > I hope this helps!
                  >
                  > -*-Bill

                • Bill M.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Joe,

                    > Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                    > Posted by: "Joe Takacs" trekkerjt@... jtakacs419
                    > Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 5:19 pm (PDT)
                    >
                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                    > (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                    > distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                    > connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).
                    >
                    > I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                    > hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?
                    >
                    > Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?

                    A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                    questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                    be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                    the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                    wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                    junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                    configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                    network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                    web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                    as root and do work that way.
                    Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                    never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                    (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                    Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)

                    -*-Bill

                    -*-Bill
                  • Chad Martin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                      Bill M. wrote:
                      > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                      > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                      > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                      > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                      > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                      > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                      > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                      > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                      > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                      > as root and do work that way.

                      I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                      router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                      switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.

                      > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                      > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                      > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                      > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)

                      Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                      when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                      to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.

                      Chad Martin
                    • Joe Takacs
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                        Bill M. wrote:
                        > Joe,
                        >
                        >> Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                        >> Posted by: "Joe Takacs" trekkerjt@... jtakacs419
                        >> Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 5:19 pm (PDT)
                        >>
                        >> Bill,
                        >>
                        >> On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                        >> (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                        >> distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                        >> connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).
                        >>
                        >> I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                        >> hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?
                        >>
                        >> Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?
                        >
                        > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                        > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                        > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                        > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                        > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                        > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                        > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                        > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                        > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                        > as root and do work that way.
                        > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                        > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                        > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                        > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                        >
                        > -*-Bill
                        >
                        > -*-Bill

                        Thanks Bill,

                        I might have another old laptop or two I can get my hands on - have to
                        check.

                        BTW, I also have Zone Alarm, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AVG
                        anti-virus on the Winbook, Avast on the other computers - for the same
                        reasons you do. No problems - yet.

                        Joe Takacs
                      • Joe Takacs
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                          Thanks Chad,

                          Chad Martin wrote:
                          > Bill M. wrote:
                          >> A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                          >> questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                          >> be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                          >> the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                          >> wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                          >> junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                          >> configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                          >> network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                          >> web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                          >> as root and do work that way.
                          >
                          > I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                          > router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                          > switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.
                          >
                          >> Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                          >> never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                          >> (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                          >> Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                          >
                          > Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                          > when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                          > to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.
                          >
                          > Chad Martin

                          I also have Zone Alarm, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AVG
                          anti-virus on the Winbook, Avast on the other computers. I update every
                          day and run them about once a week. No problems - yet.

                          Joe Takacs
                        • Bill M.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Chad,

                            Thanks for your comments. See below...

                            > Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                            > Posted by: "Chad Martin" chad@... tharasix
                            > Date: Sun Sep 3, 2006 9:56 pm (PDT)
                            >
                            > Bill M. wrote:
                            >> > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                            >> > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                            >> > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                            >> > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                            >> > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                            >> > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                            >> > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                            >> > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                            >> > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                            >> > as root and do work that way.
                            >
                            > I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                            > router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                            > switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.

                            I mis-spoke. I should clarify that by "flexible" I meant there are many
                            more options that a PC-based firewall box is capable of handling:
                            content blocking, intrusion detection, web server, etc.

                            >> > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                            >> > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                            >> > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                            >> > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                            >
                            > Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                            > when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                            > to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.

                            Again, I should make this a bit more clear. Smoothwall (and IPCop, I am
                            sure) have a decent update process. Smoothwall makes note on a
                            "maintenance" page that an update is available. The administrator visits
                            the Smoothwall.org web site and downloads the update tarball file to a
                            PC, and then selects an UPLOAD option on the Maintenance page.
                            Smoothwall processes that update and lets the administrator know if the
                            box needs to be rebooted. Smoothwall runs on a 2.4 Linux kernel - so its
                            pretty tried and true.

                            Again, thanks for your great responses, Chad. I appreciate all you do in
                            the "newbies" list!

                            -*-Bill