Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Wanna.bee

  • Daryl Douglas Sr
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Linux Wannabee,

      My first experience with Linux was a distribution called Knoppix. It's one of many Live CD's. That means that it will run on your computer without you loading it on your hard drive. It will entirely from the disk if you want. When you are through, it will compress all the files back to the disk. Here is the link to download an ISO file that will make the bootable CD. I had Windows 98 on mine at it worked well. The lastest version is 5.0, but you might want to look at one of the earlier versions if this won't work on your PII.

      Here's the link to the website: www.knoppix.org. It's in German but there is a link for the english version. If you have a bittorrent on your computer it is easy to download, then burn the ISO file.

      If you don't have one.....www.bittorrent.com is free. Good luck.

      Prayer brings peace.

      If you don't know your past, you won't know your future.

    • Jeanette Russo
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          HI rachel

          Well basicly u can do this two ways, repartition(split) your HD u
          currently have now into 4 partitions,with a drive partition software (1)
          Win98(yuk) (2)backup for win / programs etc (3) Main Linux Partition (4)
          Linux swap File (around 200MB swap file) and Install Boot from your Linux
          CD Install linux onto 3 and 4

          But the MOST easiest WAYS is to go get DSL linux burn the image onto a CD
          and boot from that CD,, it will not interfere with any of your WIN98
          Stuff

          It runs from the CD u may not like linux,
          http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ go here to get DSL linux I can
          help u set it up I love it

          _____

          I would like to put Linux on an old Pentium 2 computer, which currently has
          Windows 98 on it now. I would like to keep the Windows 98, and thus have 2
          operating systems on the computer.

          Does anyone have any recommendations of an easy way for me to install Linux
          on this computer from the Internet?

          As I understand it, there are Linux freeware programs on the Internet. I
          also understand there are several different versions of Linux. At this
          point, I would like to find the easiest way to install a good Linux program
          from the Internet. Any suggestions?

          Best Wishes
          Rachel

        • Brian Boothe
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
            Go get DSL linux based on debian linux Knoppix it soo easy ,,,,,

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
              Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
              up a Gateway / Firewall

              _____

              Go get DSL linux based on debian linux Knoppix it soo easy ,,,,,
              http://www.damnsmal <http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/> llinux.org/

              _____

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
                HI all Im running DSL linux and I wanna bet able to make a router / firewall
                From it, I know im going to need Two Ethernet Cards, But can someone please
                aid me in getting everything else on what I need to do ,, thanks

              • Bill M.
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Brian,

                  > DSL Gateway Firewall
                  > Posted by: "Brian Boothe" subrian@... codemage67
                  > Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 2:06 pm (PDT)
                  >
                  > Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
                  > up a Gateway / Firewall

                  Make your life easier! Check out a Linux distribution completely
                  designed for use as a firewall. I've been using a completely plug-n-play
                  system installed on an old Pentium 1-166 for a number of years. I have a
                  number of PCs running Linux and Windows 2000 and XP behind the firewall
                  box and they have all been great over the years. Check out
                  http://smoothwall.org
                  and do a quick download of the bootable install CD (20+ MB ISO image
                  file.) Burn the ISO to a CD with your CD burning software, and boot the
                  PC with the CD as the first boot device. Installing this software
                  completely wipes the hard drive of the system used - so some older,
                  unneeded hardware is needed. RAM requirements are pretty low, 64 MB will
                  do, more is a bit better. Hard drive needs are pretty minimal too.

                  Smoothwall gives you a firewall with IPTables, an Intrusion Detection
                  System (IDS) with Snort, NAT (Network Address Translation) with DHCP, a
                  VPN, proxy support with Squid, a web server (Apache) in a DMZ, and much
                  more. All open source components. Lots of easy-to-follow documentation
                  (in PDF format) available as well as forum support. Configuration after
                  the initial setup/reboot is done via a web interface from a client PC
                  (Windows or Linux) to the web server of the firewall box off the "GREEN"
                  network.

                  Setup is easy: cable modem comes in plugs into the "RED" (or unsafe,
                  open to Internet) NIC. Another cable for the "GREEN" NIC (safe, home
                  network) plugs into a switch that all the other house systems plug into.
                  Everyone behind the firewall on the GREEN network gets a 192.168.10.xxx
                  address given to them by the Smoothwall box's DHCP server. The outside
                  world, of course, never sees these internal addresses--only the
                  addressed supplied to the RED NIC by the cable modem connection to the
                  digital cable network.

                  You can also check out another firewall distribution called IPCop -
                  pretty similar to Smoothwall, but also supports a wireless sub-network
                  as part of the installation (with a third or fourth NIC.)

                  I hope this helps!

                  -*-Bill
                • Joe Takacs
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Bill,

                    On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                    (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                    distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                    connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).

                    I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                    hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?

                    Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?

                    Thanks,

                    Joe Takacs

                    Bill M. wrote:
                    > Brian,
                    >
                    >> DSL Gateway Firewall
                    >> Posted by: "Brian Boothe" subrian@... codemage67
                    >> Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 2:06 pm (PDT)
                    >>
                    >> Does anyone else run Knoppix DSL Linux ? im neededing assistance in setting
                    >> up a Gateway / Firewall
                    >
                    > Make your life easier! Check out a Linux distribution completely
                    > designed for use as a firewall. I've been using a completely plug-n-play
                    > system installed on an old Pentium 1-166 for a number of years. I have a
                    > number of PCs running Linux and Windows 2000 and XP behind the firewall
                    > box and they have all been great over the years. Check out
                    > http://smoothwall.org
                    > and do a quick download of the bootable install CD (20+ MB ISO image
                    > file.) Burn the ISO to a CD with your CD burning software, and boot the
                    > PC with the CD as the first boot device. Installing this software
                    > completely wipes the hard drive of the system used - so some older,
                    > unneeded hardware is needed. RAM requirements are pretty low, 64 MB will
                    > do, more is a bit better. Hard drive needs are pretty minimal too.
                    >
                    > Smoothwall gives you a firewall with IPTables, an Intrusion Detection
                    > System (IDS) with Snort, NAT (Network Address Translation) with DHCP, a
                    > VPN, proxy support with Squid, a web server (Apache) in a DMZ, and much
                    > more. All open source components. Lots of easy-to-follow documentation
                    > (in PDF format) available as well as forum support. Configuration after
                    > the initial setup/reboot is done via a web interface from a client PC
                    > (Windows or Linux) to the web server of the firewall box off the "GREEN"
                    > network.
                    >
                    > Setup is easy: cable modem comes in plugs into the "RED" (or unsafe,
                    > open to Internet) NIC. Another cable for the "GREEN" NIC (safe, home
                    > network) plugs into a switch that all the other house systems plug into.
                    > Everyone behind the firewall on the GREEN network gets a 192.168.10.xxx
                    > address given to them by the Smoothwall box's DHCP server. The outside
                    > world, of course, never sees these internal addresses--only the
                    > addressed supplied to the RED NIC by the cable modem connection to the
                    > digital cable network.
                    >
                    > You can also check out another firewall distribution called IPCop -
                    > pretty similar to Smoothwall, but also supports a wireless sub-network
                    > as part of the installation (with a third or fourth NIC.)
                    >
                    > I hope this helps!
                    >
                    > -*-Bill

                  • Bill M.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                      Joe,

                      > Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                      > Posted by: "Joe Takacs" trekkerjt@... jtakacs419
                      > Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 5:19 pm (PDT)
                      >
                      > Bill,
                      >
                      > On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                      > (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                      > distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                      > connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).
                      >
                      > I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                      > hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?
                      >
                      > Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?

                      A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                      questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                      be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                      the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                      wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                      junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                      configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                      network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                      web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                      as root and do work that way.
                      Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                      never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                      (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                      Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)

                      -*-Bill

                      -*-Bill
                    • Chad Martin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                        Bill M. wrote:
                        > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                        > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                        > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                        > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                        > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                        > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                        > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                        > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                        > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                        > as root and do work that way.

                        I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                        router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                        switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.

                        > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                        > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                        > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                        > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)

                        Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                        when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                        to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.

                        Chad Martin
                      • Joe Takacs
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                          Bill M. wrote:
                          > Joe,
                          >
                          >> Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                          >> Posted by: "Joe Takacs" trekkerjt@... jtakacs419
                          >> Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 5:19 pm (PDT)
                          >>
                          >> Bill,
                          >>
                          >> On my home network I am presently using a Linksys router, 2 desktops
                          >> (Win XP), one desktop (Xandros linux right now, but I try various
                          >> distros on this one), one laptop (Winbook XL2 - Win xp) direct
                          >> connection, and a second laptop (wireless connection - Win XP).
                          >>
                          >> I could use the old laptop (Winbook XL2, 400 mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, 60 gb
                          >> hd) as the gateway to install smoothwall on - good idea?
                          >>
                          >> Would this be significantly "better" than the Linksys router?
                          >
                          > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                          > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                          > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                          > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                          > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                          > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                          > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                          > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                          > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                          > as root and do work that way.
                          > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                          > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                          > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                          > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                          >
                          > -*-Bill
                          >
                          > -*-Bill

                          Thanks Bill,

                          I might have another old laptop or two I can get my hands on - have to
                          check.

                          BTW, I also have Zone Alarm, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AVG
                          anti-virus on the Winbook, Avast on the other computers - for the same
                          reasons you do. No problems - yet.

                          Joe Takacs
                        • Joe Takacs
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Thanks Chad,

                            Chad Martin wrote:
                            > Bill M. wrote:
                            >> A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                            >> questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                            >> be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                            >> the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                            >> wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                            >> junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                            >> configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                            >> network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                            >> web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                            >> as root and do work that way.
                            >
                            > I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                            > router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                            > switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.
                            >
                            >> Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                            >> never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                            >> (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                            >> Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                            >
                            > Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                            > when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                            > to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.
                            >
                            > Chad Martin

                            I also have Zone Alarm, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AVG
                            anti-virus on the Winbook, Avast on the other computers. I update every
                            day and run them about once a week. No problems - yet.

                            Joe Takacs
                          • Bill M.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                              Chad,

                              Thanks for your comments. See below...

                              > Re: DSL Gateway Firewall
                              > Posted by: "Chad Martin" chad@... tharasix
                              > Date: Sun Sep 3, 2006 9:56 pm (PDT)
                              >
                              > Bill M. wrote:
                              >> > A PC-based solution would definitely be more FLEXIBLE than a router with
                              >> > questionable firewall solution. The laptop you describe would actually
                              >> > be overkill for a firewall box. Seriously, the processor is fine, but
                              >> > the amount of RAM doesn't need to be near 256 MB and the HD would be
                              >> > wasted. Anything older hanging around? Any friends have some old, usable
                              >> > junk they want to get rid of? The Smoothwall solution is mostly a setup,
                              >> > configure, and forget kind of thing. Just leave running in front of the
                              >> > network - don't even need a mouse or a monitor really -- you can use the
                              >> > web-based interface to do most maintenance work or SSH into the firewall
                              >> > as root and do work that way.
                              >
                              > I would like to highlight Bill's use of the word "flexible". If your
                              > router does everything you want it to, there's really no reason to
                              > switch, unless you have a desire to play with router software.

                              I mis-spoke. I should clarify that by "flexible" I meant there are many
                              more options that a PC-based firewall box is capable of handling:
                              content blocking, intrusion detection, web server, etc.

                              >> > Like I said: I've had this solution for years and my WinXP systems have
                              >> > never had a problem from the various worms and viruses out there.
                              >> > (They've also had ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Spyware
                              >> > Blaster - belt and suspenders kind of thing.)
                              >
                              > Um, beware of any advice that says that you can "set it and forget it"
                              > when it comes to security. It's always better to keep your software up
                              > to date than to assume that it's perfectly secure at the time you set it up.

                              Again, I should make this a bit more clear. Smoothwall (and IPCop, I am
                              sure) have a decent update process. Smoothwall makes note on a
                              "maintenance" page that an update is available. The administrator visits
                              the Smoothwall.org web site and downloads the update tarball file to a
                              PC, and then selects an UPLOAD option on the Maintenance page.
                              Smoothwall processes that update and lets the administrator know if the
                              box needs to be rebooted. Smoothwall runs on a 2.4 Linux kernel - so its
                              pretty tried and true.

                              Again, thanks for your great responses, Chad. I appreciate all you do in
                              the "newbies" list!

                              -*-Bill