Re: [LINUX_Newbies] DSL-N won't mount CDROM

  • Chad Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2006
      indydw wrote:
      > # excerpt of dmesg when booting from HD
      >
      > hda: cache flushes supported
      > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
      > ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
      > libata version 1.11 loaded.
      >
      > # excerpt of dmesg when booting from CD
      >
      > hda: cache flushes supported
      > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
      > hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
      > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
      > libata version 1.11 loaded.
      >
      > Any suggestions on how to get the CDROM mounted?

      What mount commands have you tried? The CD doesn't mount automatically
      in Linux like it does in Windows. Have you just tried, as root,

      mount /mnt/cdrom

      If so, what errors are you getting?

      Chad Martin
    • H Saylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
        I have tried every variation of mount command that I can find reference to.

        Some examples:

        /mnt/auto/cdrom
        mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
        mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
        mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom #mnt
        and about 15 other variations of how to mount this CD.

        The closest that I get is when I get an error message
        telling me that the device is not a block device.

        I have had help from a support group, so all the simple
        things have been tried. But, when it can take days
        between emails, the support is not progressing very far.

        What mount commands have you tried? The CD doesn't mount automatically
        in Linux like it does in Windows. Have you just tried, as root,

        mount /mnt/cdrom

        If so, what errors are you getting?

        Chad Martin

      • Amadeus Zilfinski
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
          On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 09:46 -0700, H Saylor wrote:
          > I have tried every variation of mount command that I can find
          > reference to.
          >
          > Some examples:
          >
          > /mnt/auto/cdrom
          > mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
          > mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
          > mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom #mnt
          > and about 15 other variations of how to mount this CD.

          I seem to be missing some messages, but from what I recall the command
          to mount would be something like

          mount /dev/name_of_device /location/of/mount/point

          Most CD-ROM drives are listed as hdc but can be some other letter e.g.
          hda hdb hdd...

          AmadeusZ.-
        • H Saylor
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
            Yes, I tried to mount "hdc" many times, since my CD is the
            master on the second IDE port.

            While this could have a simple solution, it is not an obvious
            solution. Otherwise the members of the support group would have
            found a solution. I have given them the output of many files, such as:
            dmesg, fstab, modprobe ide-scsi, ls -l /boot and etc.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
              H Saylor wrote:
              > I have tried every variation of mount command that I can find reference to.
              >
              > Some examples:
              >
              > /mnt/auto/cdrom
              > mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
              > mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom
              > mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom #mnt
              > and about 15 other variations of how to mount this CD.
              >
              > The closest that I get is when I get an error message
              > telling me that the device is not a block device.

              Have you tried mounting SCSI disk devices? You are running ide-scsi, so
              it will, IIRC, map the IDE device to a SCSI device. Try running:

              dmesg | grep sd

              to see if any sd devices are being created. If there's one that
              mentions your CD-ROM or ide-scsi, I'd try mounting that device.

              Another stupid question, but I have to ask it: Are you sure
              /mnt/auto/cdrom is a valid directory?

              Chad Martin
            • H Saylor

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
                  H Saylor wrote:
                  > dmesg | grep sd produces no output list.
                  >
                  > /mnt/auto/cdrom does indeed exist.

                  OK, next question. Why are you running ide-scsi in the first place? In
                  the latest 2.6 kernels it is unneeded and deprecated. Any chance you
                  can just remove ide-scsi? The install disk seems to work fine without it.

                  Chad Martin
                • H Saylor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
                    That sounded like a great idea. So I type:
                    "rmmod ide-scsi" and received the error
                    "module ide_scsi does not exist in /proc/modules"

                    I have version 2.6.12

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 6, 2006
                      H Saylor wrote:
                      > That sounded like a great idea. So I type:
                      > "rmmod ide-scsi" and received the error
                      > "module ide_scsi does not exist in /proc/modules"

                      Sigh. It's built into the kernel. I assume you're running grub. Try
                      removing any reference to ide-scsi in your grub.conf, which is probably
                      somewhere in your /boot parition. After that, reboot and try things out.

                      Let me know if you want more specific direction.

                      Chad Martin