Hello

  • erik.van.lint@pandora.be
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13, 2001
      I'm new to this list and want to get started with linux, i've got an
      Imac with 192 mb ram.

      Could someone tell me wath is a good linux version for the macs ?
      (i've read that Suse 7,0 isn't bad)

      Could it also be possible to xplain me how much partitions on my drive
      i should create ? Think it should be at least 3 from what i read.

      THks,

      Erik
    • Joe Morris
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 13, 2001
        On Tuesday 13 February 2001 04:15 pm, you wrote:
        > I'm new to this list and want to get started with linux, i've got an
        > Imac with 192 mb ram.
        >
        > Could someone tell me wath is a good linux version for the macs ?
        > (i've read that Suse 7,0 isn't bad)
        >
        > Could it also be possible to xplain me how much partitions on my drive
        > i should create ? Think it should be at least 3 from what i read.
        >
        > THks,
        >
        > Erik

        SuSE 7.0 bad? Where did you read that? SuSE is the best distro I have ever
        used!

        Joe
      • Edward Britton
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2001
          Erik:

          I'm new too, so I don't have the foggiest notion about the RAM requirements
          of Linux. I just bought a copy of 7.0, (at CompUSA for a PENNY!) but
          haven't loaded it--and I won't until I find out how to partition my drive
          so that I don't lose Windoz. I'm not ready for that big a jump yet :-)

          >Could someone tell me wath is a good linux version for the macs ?
          >(i've read that Suse 7,0 isn't bad)

          That's 'bout what I've heard too--for PC's that is. I haven't been on an
          Apple since college.

          >Could it also be possible to xplain me how much partitions on my drive
          >i should create ? Think it should be at least 3 from what i read.

          I **think** that's right: 1) Boot, 2) Root, and 3) Swap.

          Edward ><+>
          http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5285/connector1.html
          VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
          Beyond this point, there be dragons.
        • mudfly@qwest.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 13, 2001
            Im not real familiar with Suse but I didnt think there was a PPC port.
            You will want to look into PPC Linux or Yellow Dog Linux to run on your
            Apple Hardware. As for your partitioning you will want a swap space
            about as big as the amount of ram you have. If you are just learning I
            would make just one other partition as / for the rest of your hard drive
            space. Hard drive partitioning is really hard to tell someone how to set
            up. Some systems are mail servers so they need a large /var partition,
            some systems have lots of users so they need a large /home partition. I
            would just start with the 2 until you learn what is going to be right
            for you. That will be the easiest to get started with.

            Christian

            > I'm new to this list and want to get started with linux, i've got an
            > Imac with 192 mb ram.
            >
            > Could someone tell me wath is a good linux version for the macs ?
            > (i've read that Suse 7,0 isn't bad)
            >
            > Could it also be possible to xplain me how much partitions on my drive
            >
            > i should create ? Think it should be at least 3 from what i read.
            >
            > THks,
            >
            > Erik
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            www. .com

          • Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2011
              I have to admit that I am a Linux newbie, I am considering taking the plunge into a version on Linux (probably Ubuntu or mint 10). I am worried about three pieces of hardware. They are the WiFi (Intel Pro Wireless), the sound card (High Definition Audio Device) and the video (Intel GMA 950). If anyone has any experience using these devices with Linux, advice would be greatly appreciated before I make the jump.

              I am thinking of making the jump from windows 7 because I want an OS that is Open Source.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 24, 2011
                On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 01:27:50AM -0000, Thomas wrote:
                > I have to admit that I am a Linux newbie, I am considering taking the plunge into a version on Linux (probably Ubuntu or mint 10). I am worried about three pieces of hardware. They are the WiFi (Intel Pro Wireless), the sound card (High Definition Audio Device) and the video (Intel GMA 950). If anyone has any experience using these devices with Linux, advice would be greatly appreciated before I make the jump.
                >
                > I am thinking of making the jump from windows 7 because I want an OS that is Open Source.

                I would guess that Mint, and probably Ubuntu, will work with all of
                these. You can always use a liveCD to test. Both Mint and Ubuntu will
                run from CD. (You can also just burn it to a USB stick--there's a handy
                tool, works in Windows, called unetbootin. You download the ISO file,
                run unetbootin and it will burn a bootable copy of the CD to your USB
                stick.

                This is a relatively brief answer, if you need more help in
                understanding a live CD, burning to a USB stick, or indeed, other
                questions, please post again.

                Buffy: Vampires are creeps.
                Giles: Yes. That's why one slays them.
              • dlp
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 24, 2011
                  Ubuntu will pick them up easy.

                  david

                  --
                  dlp <dvdposton@...>
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 25, 2011
                    I agree with Scott and would add that Linux works with most modern hardware,
                    especially if they are common. Potential problems are often easily sorted
                    out by users in forums such as this or by googling the internet because the
                    community is helpful and there are many online resources. Try lots of
                    distros to find one that works best for you. Using a usb stick to make
                    bootable sticks as Scott said is the fastest and easiest method. You may
                    have to change BIOS settings to make the first device usb. This will not
                    effect booting to hard drive later as long as you remove the usb stick. Do
                    NOT use version 11.04 of Ubuntu. It is not out till the end of the week, but
                    it is still crashy for me and even then it is not typical of Linux anymore.
                    Mint would be a better choice or even Kubuntu which uses KDE and not Unity,
                    the latest desktop choice for Ubuntu. In other words if you try Ubuntu 11.04
                    don't let it scare you off Linux. There are other choices.

                    Linux is all about security so settings things up the first time can be a
                    little more complicated and it may ask for passwords more often than you are
                    used to, but it is worth it for the peace of mind that it gives.

                    Roy

                    Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
                    Location: Canada

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <matrix_hacker_neo@...> wrote:

                      > I have to admit that I am a Linux newbie, I am considering taking the plunge into a version on Linux (probably Ubuntu or mint 10). I am worried about three pieces of hardware. They are the WiFi (Intel Pro Wireless), the sound card (High Definition Audio Device) and the video (Intel GMA 950). If anyone has any experience using these devices with Linux, advice would be greatly appreciated before I make the jump.
                      >
                      > I am thinking of making the jump from windows 7 because I want an OS that is Open Source.

                      I managed to get my Intel Graphics accelerated on a Gigabyte H55M-S2V that has it. It should be even easier to do today than when I did it. I never did get the on board sound working on that box though. I ended up just throwing in an old Sound Blaster. But it might not have been Linux, the instructions for installing that hardware was pretty sketchy. For all I know the sound is fried on that motherboard as I've never heard it work. That machine is only hooked up to a 5.1 Dolby surround system anyways so it is good by me how it is now.

                      I have to admit I started using Linux in 1995. I made the jump because I wanted to run something that just works.
                    • Emmanue
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30, 2011
                        Linux is the best os if you know what to do or what you are doing

                        From Emmanuel Q

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                          It is not half bad even if you don't!

                          Paul