The Penguin is mightier than the Nerd?

  • Andrew Pagin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      I read a couple of days ago about an international project
      called One Laptop Per Child. This aims to provide every child in the
      developing world with a wind-up, wireless-internet enabled PC.
      Apparantly they have a working prototype which would be provided to
      interested governements as about $100 USD a piece. It seems almost
      every governement in the world is interested in the project to a
      greater or lesser extent.
      What makes this REALLY intersting is that they have chosen Linux
      (Fedora) as the operating system. Now aint that food for thought? In a
      few years time we could have litterally tens of millions of PC users
      to whom IT =LINUX, not Windows, countless thousands of young people
      basing business enterprises on Linux, thousands of new Linux
      developers. A whole new global mindset that doesn't include Microsoft.
      Call me an optomist and dreamer, but this could kill Microsoft stone
      dead.
    • john_howard_morgan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 16, 2006
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Pagin" <Andy.Pagin@...>
        wrote:
        ><snip>
        > to whom IT =LINUX, not Windows, countless thousands of young people
        > basing business enterprises on Linux, thousands of new Linux
        > developers. A whole new global mindset that doesn't include
        Microsoft.
        > Call me an optomist and dreamer, but this could kill Microsoft stone
        > dead.

        What a terrible thought. Without Windows, how can we expect to
        recognise and measure the superiority of GNU/Linux desktop OSes?