Mandriva

  • James Jolin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 21 2:21 PM
      Still checking out various distros and come to Mandriva which has a
      install icon on the kde desktop. This in supposed to let you install
      the distro from the live cd. Has anyone tried this? I've tried it
      several times and cannot get to work. Gets as far as "installing
      packages" and nothing happens. Can't get the nic card configured
      either. Can put in the ip addressed for the computer and the gateway,
      but I can't enter the dns ip addressed (I am using static ip
      addresses.) Any info would be appreciated.
      Jim

    • Linux Canuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
        Devlin,

        I can see why you thought that, but my information is correct including the amount paid by Mandrakelinux for Conectiva. It was announced as a merger, but since 2.3 million dollars in Mandriva stock went to
        Conectiva and the
        head office stayed in France we can assume that Conectiva was purchased
        outright and the name and Brazilian operations were merged. Note that
        Mandriva is a French company originally and that something may have
        been lost in the translation on the Mandriva website. Whether they merged or were acquired is irrelevant. Conectiva did not acquire Mandrakelinux.

        started out in Linux using Mandrake 7 and stuck with it for a couple of
        years, up until Mandrake 8 or 9.I joined the Mandrake Club and paid
        almost a $100 per year for my system to become unstable due to the
        weakness of RPM. I switched to MEPIS (Debian-based distro) just before
        they went into bankruptcy protection in 2003. So my association with
        Mandrake is bittersweet. It got me my Linux start, but left me in RPM
        Hell. I have fond memories in general and have a soft spot for Mandriva
        as a result.

        Mandriva is a very underrated distro. The problem
        for them is that they started out as a commercial enterprise and have
        not figured out how to make money on desktop Linux. They once could
        sell support, but as Linux has improved their chances of selling it are
        much reduced. Few people are willing to pay for what they can get for
        free.

        Cheers,
        Roy

        Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
        Support Open source.
        <*,)}}+<
        Only dead fish go with the flow!

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 22, 2009
          I've burned iso's and test-installed both Mandriva Spring 2008 and
          Mandriva 2009 Live CD's and had no problem with either. You probably
          just had a very subtle error in your CD burn. It happens. Did you
          verify your CD against the *.iso via MD5? You might also want to
          verify your downloaded *.iso against the ftp site's MD5 -- or just
          redownload the whole shebang and reburn the CD from that.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 23, 2009
            Gary wrote: I've burned iso's and test-installed both Mandriva Spring 2008 and Mandriva 2009 Live CD's and had no problem with either. You probablyjust had a very subtle error in your CD burn. It happens.

            Like Gary, I have had no problems with Mandriva installing from the Live CD. I have done it many times. I use Unetbootin which is in the repos for Ubuntu or can be downloaded separately and run as a binary from the desktop. It allows you to install just about any distro from an iso in a couple of minutes. It involves turning a usb key into a bootable OS from the ISO. It takes less time than to burn CDs. It is great if your system can boot from a usb key.

            If you don't have the ISO, Unetbootin can even download the files and make the key from them. It of course takes longer because it involves downloading. There is a list of Linux distros and versions to choose from, plus BSD, etc. I have given up burning CDs to install from. The only trick is that you need to clean off the key and make sure that it is inserted before you open Unetbootin.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 23, 2009
              On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:18:40AM -0800, Linux Canuck wrote:

              > Like Gary, I have had no problems with Mandriva installing from the Live CD. I have done it many times. I use Unetbootin which is in the repos for Ubuntu or can be downloaded separately and run as a binary from the desktop.
              This worked for you with Mandriva? At one point (known bug, but an
              older version) unetbootin wouldn't work with Mandriva isos. Have they
              fixed that?

              There was a workaround on aspireoneuser.com forums, someone had been
              kind enough to create some files that replaced the default Mandriva boot
              files, and this enabled it to work with a Unetbootin install. Did you
              install Mandriva with Unetbootin without any special effort? (This
              whole line of questioning is sort of hijacking the thread, but I think
              enquiring minds want to know.)

              Aside from Mandriva (and a few others--Mepis and its offshoots, though
              again, there are workarounds)--I want to second Roy's endorsement of
              Unetbootin. It works beautifully with almost any distribution out
              there, without any effort.

              Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
              they're not good.
            • Linux Canuck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 23, 2009
                Scott wrote: Did you install Mandriva with Unetbootin without any special effort? (This whole line of questioning is sort of hijacking the thread, but I thinkenquiring minds want to know.)

                My reply:
                I used it as is with older versions. The last one I installed was Mandriva One 2008 and it worked then. I have the ISO for 2009 and will do some investigating. However, Mandriva does not play well with my current computer (HP desktop). It installs, but after an update it won't boot. I have installed several versions over the years and nothing sticks. It is part of my gripe with RPM-based distros. OpenSUSE is even worse. Fedora works well, but I am continually frustrated by the lack of applications, there. The best RPM distro for my equipment is PCLOS which is a Mandriva derivative, but for some reason (perhaps Synaptic), it works as well as any DEB-based distro. However, it is far too out of date for my taste.

                I like Mandriva as I cut my Linux teeth on Mandrake and keep on trying it to see if it has improved. However, it did the same thing on my eeePC 900. It just stopped working. I still have it on one of my partitions, but it does not reach the login screen. I have not bothered to troubleshoot it as it probably needs to be re-installed and I was waiting for the next stable release of 2009, to give it a better chance.
                Current distros installed are the aforementioned, Mandriva One 2008, plus I have Fedora 10, Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit and 64-bit (current favourite), Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha 3, Sidux, SimplyMEPIS 8, Elive, and PCLOS 2007. I have a couple of vacant partitions. I am currently boycotting Novell (childish, I know) or openSUSE would be there. I also like OpenGEU and may install it.

                I will try Debian once they get their act together and release the latest version of Lenny. While people like to complain about the frenetic pace of Ubuntu and Fedora releases, at least they set dates and you can count on them. I could never put up with so many delays to be a committed Debian user.

                There are a few distros that have not played well with Unetbootin. I had trouble with Jaunty, but have used it with every version of Ubuntu. So I am not sure what the trouble is. Unetbootin mostly works, but sometimes it just seems to hang and I need to re-do it or burn it to a CD-RW. I have sometimes had it not work and then downloaded it again and it worked. It could be that it does not check the MD5 checksums for the ISO.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 23, 2009
                  On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:09:04AM -0800, Linux Canuck wrote:
                  > Scott wrote: Did you install Mandriva with Unetbootin without any special effort? (This whole line of questioning is sort of hijacking the thread, but I thinkenquiring minds want to know.)
                  >
                  > My reply:
                  > I used it as is with older versions. The last one I installed was Mandriva One 2008 and it worked then.

                  Ahh, I think the mystery is explained. There was one point, I believe
                  it's with 2009, where Mandriva no longer made USB installation
                  simple--thoughts were that this might be because they're pushing their
                  own for sale usb stick with a loaded O/S (around $30-$40 USD for stick
                  with O/S included, I think, but could be wrong on that--might be much
                  lower.)

                  Thanks much for the quick response.

                  However, Mandriva does not play well with my current computer (HP desktop). It installs, but after an update it won't boot.

                  Hrrm, that could definitely be a nuisance. :)

                  > Current distros installed are the aforementioned, Mandriva One 2008, plus I have Fedora 10, Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit and 64-bit (current favourite), Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha 3, Sidux, SimplyMEPIS 8, Elive, and PCLOS 2007. I have a couple of vacant partitions. I am currently boycotting Novell (childish, I know) or openSUSE would be there. I also like OpenGEU and may install it.

                  They (OpenGEU) has some nice screenshots, though I would think you'd get
                  all of it from Elive. My eyes are too old to really appreciate that
                  stuff, I'm afraid. :-(

                  > I will try Debian once they get their act together and release the latest version of Lenny. While people like to complain about the frenetic pace of Ubuntu and Fedora releases, at least they set dates and you can count on them. I could never put up with so many delays to be a committed Debian user.

                  I'm not sure I agree, as one who gnashes his teeth each time Fedora's
                  latest breaks soemthing. :)

                  > There are a few distros that have not played well with Unetbootin. I had trouble with Jaunty, but have used it with every version of Ubuntu.

                  Ahh--yes, I remember having trouble with Jaunty's alternate install--I
                  think I wound up burning a CD for it. :)

                  So I am not sure what the trouble is. Unetbootin mostly works, but sometimes it just seems to hang and I need to re-do it or burn it to a CD-RW. I have sometimes had it not work and then downloaded it again and it worked. It could be that it does not check the MD5 checksums for the ISO.

                  No, I think in most of these cases, it has to do with the setup of the
                  CD. IIRC, Mepis also had trouble with it, and possibly Sidux. I know
                  there were a few where wound up using the Debian to USB program,
                  whatever it's called.

                  Cordelia: Do you know what he's going to do to me when he
                  finds out I let his car get stolen? I mean, what are the chances that
                  a vampire has full insurance with a low deductible?
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2010
                    Good news for Mandriva users. The company has announced that it has
                    found as yet unnamed investors and the company is is good shape for
                    the time being. So go ahead and use Mandriva in that knowledge and
                    comfort.

                    Roy
                  • J
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2010
                      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 07:34, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
                      > Good news for Mandriva users. The company has announced that it has
                      > found as yet unnamed investors and the company is is good shape for
                      > the time being. So go ahead and use Mandriva in that knowledge and
                      > comfort.

                      Oh good... they got the check I sent them ;-)

                      Heh... I say it in jest, I don't use Mandriva, but they've been around
                      for a while and I'd hate to see them just disappear completely. I'm
                      sentimental like that. Good news for them!